San Diego Padres focus-grouping new uniforms for 2020

Gothamite

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

While you were likely just letting out your frustrations I have to say I disagree. Even if it's a dark brown the Padres switching to any brown as a primary color has to be considered a step forward at this point. 

I half agree with you - but if someone in the stands can't tell whether it's brown or black, then there really isn't much of a point to it.

11 hours ago, Ashes of Astroworld said:

It's a nice chocolate brown. I think it would go with something in-between athletic gold and orange. 

I'd stick to standard athletic gold and avoid getting too close to the disliked brown/orange combo.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

6 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

They’ve said brown and yellow are a package deal.

Personally I like brown and orange better but I know I'm definitely in the minority there. Also think it would be nice if they could make 1998 their official throwback look once they are black to full-time brown - I think that's by far their best non-brown set.

Once you go back to your original colors, there's nothing to throw back to because you've essentially repudiated every attempt to improve upon what you began with.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

6 minutes ago, the admiral said:

Once you go back to your original colors, there's nothing to throw back to because you've essentially repudiated every attempt to improve upon what you began with.

But 1998 and the first sustained run of success! That has to count for something, right? Sure, it’s a non-descript look with a crappy drop shadow and poorly-rendered typeface, but it’s part of the best era of team history.

It’ll be nice to wear when the team retires #15 for Bruce Bochy (during the last season of his Giants contact/after he retires following next season - a likely outcome given his health).

They made the World Series first in 1984 wearing the taco unis plus that was harder in the 80s to make the playoffs than in the 90s with the wild card added. I just think that 98 uni is too close to the Mets and we are starting too see how boring navy blue can be. Blue is so prevalent in all sports and it has been 20 tears since the 98 uni, I don't think there's as big an outcry for that uni than any brown uni for the Padres.

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

But 1998 and the first sustained run of success! That has to count for something, right? Sure, it’s a non-descript look with a crappy drop shadow and poorly-rendered typeface, but it’s part of the best era of team history.

It’ll be nice to wear when the team retires #15 for Bruce Bochy (during the last season of his Giants contact/after he retires following next season - a likely outcome given his health).

They’re not retiring 15.  

What is is wrong with Bochy’s health? 

3 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

God I sure hope it doesn't count for something but it probably will.

If some team won a championship wearing pink tutus, there unfortunately would be far to many clamoring for that uniform because ... winning.  If the uniform made the team "magically win" I'd be reluctantly be for a return to it.

In every situation I'd rather have a return to a good looking uniform from an era when a team stunk, than a crappy or bland uniform from a winning team.  This forum is likely one of the few places I might not be in the minority on that.

"Just when I thought you'd said the stupidest thing, you keep on talking" - Hank Hill

2 hours ago, joekono said:

They made the World Series first in 1984 wearing the taco unis plus that was harder in the 80s to make the playoffs than in the 90s with the wild card added.

First off, that season was an outlier. It was after two .500 seasons, but it was the only postseason appearance for the team in brown. The 1990s teams had two playoff appearances, one in 1996 (91-71) and the 1998 run to the World Series (98-64). It's a minor difference, but it's an indication of some sustained success compared to the Taco Bell period. They also won two division titles at Petco Park (2005 and 2006) and came close to two additional playoff appearances (2007 and 2010). Sure, the 2005 team only won 82 games and had a first-round exit, but it's still a part of team history.

I just think that 98 uni is too close to the Mets and we are starting too see how boring navy blue can be. Blue is so prevalent in all sports and it has been 20 tears since the 98 uni, I don't think there's as big an outcry for that uni than any brown uni for the Padres.

Go through the various MLB threads on the boards. You'll see that any time the 1998 uniforms show up, there will always be people praising them. There's a demand for them, and offering them up as full-time throwback alternates is smart branding for any navy fans who despise brown.

1 hour ago, greyraven8 said:

God I sure hope it doesn't count for something but it probably will.

If some team won a championship wearing pink tutus, there unfortunately would be far to many clamoring for that uniform because ... winning.  If the uniform made the team "magically win" I'd be reluctantly be for a return to it.

In every situation I'd rather have a return to a good looking uniform from an era when a team stunk, than a crappy or bland uniform from a winning team.  This forum is likely one of the few places I might not be in the minority on that.

Eh, I'd say it's smart branding to keep a 1998 throwback on-hand. Let's face it: the team has spent nearly 30 years in navy, and that original pinstriped home uniform is probably the best-looking navy-centric uniform. That's not saying much, but it's good to keep in mind. Look at how much people loved the 2016 "white S, yellow D" cap, and you'll see how much there's still an audience for that '90s set.

There's a whole generation of Padres fans who grew up with the team in navy. There are a bunch of people who prefer navy, even on these forums (I'm not one of them). Just an occasional throwback to the one decent navy period uniform (which coincided with the 1998 team's surprising run and the rare sustained success the team had) is all I'm asking.

I get it SFGiants58, you like navy. I also didn't know you were going to add the Petco  years to pile in(I liked the road tans of course). I actually liked the 2004 uniforms. They won 92 games in 1984, and won 98 games in 1998 but we're the third best team record wise and would not have made the playoffs. I also just care about uniforms on this board so as far as bringing up the boards, there probably aren't too many threads more popular than the Padres and brown and that's the real issue here. Ill be glad if they return to brown.

40 minutes ago, joekono said:

I get it SFGiants58, you like navy. I also didn't know you were going to add the Petco  years to pile in(I liked the road tans of course). I actually liked the 2004 uniforms. They won 92 games in 1984, and won 98 games in 1998 but we're the third best team record wise and would not have made the playoffs. I also just care about uniforms on this board so as far as bringing up the boards, there probably aren't too many threads more popular than the Padres and brown and that's the real issue here. Ill be glad if they return to brown.

Here's the thing: I don't. I'm all for going back to brown full-time, but I'd rather have the team keep a tiny bit of navy around in throwback form. It's been their primary color for a generation and has historic connections to the PCL Padres. I'll let this quote sum it up, from @bosrs1:

They wore brown for 22 years (1969-1990). They've worn navy for 27 seasons (1991-present) counting 2017 (and if you count the PCL team they wore navy for 25 seasons prior to their MLB debut as well). And as for it being most historic, the best teams, and statistically single best team, in Padres MLB history ('98) wore navy, not brown both during their MLB and PCL days. They were mired in mediocrity during most of the time they wore brown, with only 5 winning seasons, and one playoff appearance (by comparison during their navy MLB days they've had 9 winning seasons and 4 playoff appearances).

That said, I agree navy/white alone does not work. Navy worked great with yellow last year. It worked even better in the 90's with the darker navy and orange. Heck even the navy and sand worked better than navy/white alone. They had a good thing going in 2016 that looked good and was by all accounts pretty popular with fans. They should have just stuck with it.

...and another:

That is a fair assessment. Generally among folks I've talked to it does seem to be the mid-40's to around mid-60's folks who like the brown. The young seem to favor overall the blue and/or camo. And the older folks I've talked to, in their 80's and 90's were glad the brown went away. Which makes sense when you think about it, you like what you grew up around. Old natives grew up with the PCL Padres who settled on navy blue and red pretty early. Folks in their 40's and 50's grew up with brown, younger people grew up with navy blue again.

It tracks to me personally. I first watched the Pads on TV wearing navy blue and orange, saw my first Padres game with them in Navy Blue and orange and became a Padres fan with them wearing navy blue. To me brown just isn't the Padres. Talk to my brother in law and you'll get the exact opposite reaction. He want them in brown and/or powder blue and he's a 45 year old SD native. Talk to my grandfather in law before he passed in May at 93 who was also an SD native (he went to school with Ted Williams), and he thought the brown was hideous and was glad it went away.

I can respect that, and wouldn't mind throwing people like that a bone with a dash of navy.

Also, trying to say that older titles "meant more" because of a different playoff format earns an eyeroll from me. Expanding the playoffs meant that more teams had a chance at contention and sustaining it. If anything, teams have to put up more of a fight to net a title.

SFGiants 58, If that line of "I get it you like navy" was taken out of context as being a jerk but that's not how I meant it. If it did, I am sorry. I guess didn't understand sticking up for the navy of 1998's but they were too Mets and bringing team performance into it was not relevant to this conversation but I now understand that you along with me would have been perfectly fine with the 2004 set. I like suits, brown and blue mix great together. I actually have the entire road uniform(even have bottoms in my house). So if they kept the "Petco" unis, I too would've been alright by them. It even had a little powder blue mixed in. I guess i'm just tired of navy. I also don't understand the "pulling out of the air" of the 2016 sets but the sets now they have are worse. I also don't understand your occupation with team success tying into uniforms. I  just don't think a teams success should define a teams uniforms. Heck, if it up to me, each team in all sports would have a home and road uniform and call it a day. It's what defines the teams more than ever now that players come and go every year. Bottom line is Padres going to brown(even has websites begging it) has been one of the most popular threads on the board.There are a lot of teams who have won championships in hideous uniforms(looking at you LA Kings,Patriots,Ducks. The Brewers,Padres and Diamondbacks are really the only bad Uniforms in the bunch(Milwaukee pushing,royal and yellow). So, when the Padres will bring brown back, I will be happy.

The Padres did a weekly Twitter Q&A during the season and someone always asked the players what their favorite jersey is and Hosmer was the only one to say brown, and he said that it was because of the 2016 All-Star Game. The majority of players voted for the 98 throwback, with "camos" and the home whites also getting votes (the last one mostly coming from rookies). It's anecdotal but it goes to show that people who aren't personally invested in brown don't necessarily care for it and after nearly thirty years in blue, it stands to reason that there's going to be a lot of people in San Diego who don't care for it.

Which is a long-winded way of saying that the Padres should keep the 98 throwbacks.

1 hour ago, Ray Lankford said:

It's anecdotal but it goes to show that people who aren't personally invested in brown don't necessarily care for it 

Yes it is anecdotal. 

Which is why it doesn't actually show anything beyond the preferences of this specific group of men.

4 minutes ago, Ray Lankford said:

The men who are actually going to wear it.

And, ironically enough, the men who most likely have the least interest in it.  Few active players can afford to have an emotional connection to a team, much less a uniform.  That's the nature of their profession.

If you're looking to give weight to opinions, I'd put current players very near the bottom of the list.

Archived