San Diego Padres focus-grouping new uniforms for 2020

Gothamite

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

We’ll just have to agree to disagree.   I think a color like brown needs to be paired with a bright, vibrant color.  Gold is about the best.  

hcsd72.jpg

Bright enough to set apart from the brown, but still rich and bold. 

Although yellow would look almost as good as this does.

That does look good. I'm cool a shade like that, with hints of orange, not far from metallic gold. 

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That’s what athletic gold is.  The same gold worn by the A’s, and by the Brewers on their throwback uniforms.  Yellow with a little red added to it. 

YellowComp.png

I actually think a true yellow would look good with brown, but bringing back the gold is far more likely. 

1 hour ago, Buc said:

How about straight-up cardinal and (athletic) gold??

Not a single MLB team uses that colorway now, and if I remember correctly the PCL Padres used to use it. They could even utilize brown as a tertiary trim. Cardinal/gold/brown would definitely be distinctive.

I not aware of the PCL club ever wearing it. But it would look good. 

And be good call on the SD flag.  This is also a fantastic color scheme. 

1280px-Flag_of_San_Diego,_California.svg

30 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I not aware of the PCL club ever wearing it. But it would look good. 

And be good call on the SD flag.  This is also a fantastic color scheme. 

1280px-Flag_of_San_Diego,_California.svg

That's a great color scheme, and in a vacuum, it'd work really well for the Padres. The only issue is that it would be yet another color scheme in the Padres' history, and that's the absolute last thing they need. For a team with so much branding confusion, adding in a red-and-gold scheme (gorgeous though it may be) would only add one more set of hats and jerseys to the crowd.

The Pads really need to just embrace brown and gold fully. It's probably their only way past the branding mess they've gotten themselves into.

And they would probably add black or blue to that, which I would not like.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

6 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Well, the Royals did do their best to destroy that.  Fortunately the BFBS fad passed. 

I don't know, I thought that mesh material Royals cap with a black bill I got in 2005 looked pretty cool. 

8 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

I’m just surprised navy/orange wasn’t more liked. Remember 1998, the first bits of sustained success for the team, and the latter half of Tony Gwynn’s career?

True, but I suspect that those uniforms just weren’t distinctive enough to stick in people’s minds.  Even the logo was generic. 

mb1r3sruahwcke10gaxlg8pxr.png

I've long felt that the Padres should pair the brown from their past with the powder blue and sand/tan hues that they utilized in their branding package between 2004 and 2011. I think brown as the primary color, powder blue as the secondary color, and sand/tan as the tertiary/accent color would be both unique and attractive.

I'm still a fan of the ideas that graphic designer Dane Storrusten came up with for updating the San Diego Padres' look

I loved the color palette Storrusten chose to work with: deep brown (calling to mind a Franciscan friar's habit), golden tan (emblematic of sandy beaches), and a blue somewhere between powder and teal (representing the Southern California sky). The font - especially as featured in the "SD" ligature that he created - struck me as being evocative of the Spanish Mission Period in Alta California. As I recall, he came up with a pair of caps, one of which featured golden tan contrasting front panels.

Personally, I'd like to see the road uniform rendered in khaki instead of grey, with blue lettering and numbering outlined in brown. Other than that, I think Storrusten's concept would be a brilliant look for the Padres.

38 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:

I've long felt that the Padres should pair the brown from their past with the powder blue and sand/tan hues that they utilized in their branding package between 2004 and 2011. I think brown as the primary color, powder blue as the secondary color, and sand/tan as the tertiary/accent color would be both unique and attractive.

I'm still a fan of the ideas that graphic designer Dane Storrusten came up with for updating the San Diego Padres' look

I loved the color palette Storrusten chose to work with: deep brown (calling to mind a Franciscan friar's habit), golden tan (emblematic of sandy beaches), and a blue somewhere between powder and teal (representing the Southern California sky). The font - especially as featured in the "SD" ligature that he created - struck me as being evocative of the Spanish Mission Period in Alta California. As I recall, he came up with a pair of caps, one of which featured golden tan contrasting front panels.

Personally, I'd like to see the road uniform rendered in khaki instead of grey, with blue lettering and numbering outlined in brown. Other than that, I think Storrusten's concept would be a brilliant look for the Padres.

Like D-III Tufts Jumbos? 

baseball29.jpg

2014-04-02-Tufts-Baseball-against-Keene-

OHara_TCNJ17.jpg?max_width=600&max_heigh

22 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

So just to be clear, he’s talking about these:

1400x788

I have absolutely zero complaints about these. 

In fact, it's just as frustrating as the Brewers so rarely wearing their fauxbacks.

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

That’s what athletic gold is.  The same gold worn by the A’s, and by the Brewers on their throwback uniforms.  Yellow with a little red added to it. 

YellowComp.png

I actually think a true yellow would look good with brown, but bringing back the gold is far more likely. 

Didn't the Pads wear 1235 at first but switch to true yellow by the time of their 1984 NL title? The yellow looks very...well, yellow. Whereas the OG Padres from the '70s almost look like they're wearing Volunteer orange as a secondary. Or maybe it's difference in photographic equipment or the difference perceived when orange comes in as the tertiary color.

5 hours ago, Buc said:

How about straight-up cardinal and (athletic) gold??

Not a single MLB team uses that colorway now, and if I remember correctly the PCL Padres used to use it. They could even utilize brown as a tertiary trim. Cardinal/gold/brown would definitely be distinctive.

This is the San Diego civic flag, for reference. And a long time ago I took a stab at a possible rebrand using those colors...I don't think I ever posted the cardinal-primary version, however.

The way you worked the red in is nothing short of brilliant.  Well done!

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

True, but I suspect that those uniforms just weren’t distinctive enough to stick in people’s minds.  Even the logo was generic. 

mb1r3sruahwcke10gaxlg8pxr.png

I've seen several people comment when the Padres wear the '90s throwback that they're the best uniforms in the team's history. I can think of no more scathing indictment of the Padres' 50 seasons of nominal existence than that.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

3 hours ago, Brian in Boston said:

Although I want yellow and gold back, I loved the 2004 uniforms.I absolutely loved the road jerseys and hated the bad rap(I believe they were referred to as urine color,get glasses then) the road uniform got. They were beautiful and individualized the Padres.

Archived