San Diego Padres focus-grouping new uniforms for 2020

Gothamite

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
22 minutes ago, Olmec said:

Hey Padres, save everybody's time, money, and energy. Your best look was already put on the field. Just make a white primary, a road grey and be done with it.

Padres-1.jpg

I know it's fun for throwback purposes but do y'all really think this would look good as a modern full-time uniform? I know it's distinct but I don't think brown is the way to go.

This concept is solid.

8663089373_8e401d9859_o.jpg

All that said, I cannot emphasize how much that the Swinging Friar must feature.  It's like the damned Brownie Elf.  This logo is vital to the dignity of the franchise, whether the franchise likes it or not. 

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

From this, sure seems as though it'll be easier for the club to form a consensus around brown than around any other color.  

It seems like the people who prefer blue consider brown too far out for them to buy a shirt but don't actively dislike it due to its historical association with the team. Meanwhile, those who prefer brown tend to hate the blue (especially blue and white) because they view it as lazy and derivative. 

Admittedly I'm extrapolating people's motivations, but given how vocal the "bring back brown!" crowd seems to be, my hypothesis probably has some validity to it. 

I personally would be okay with brown being paired with plain yellow, yellow-gold, orange, sand/khaki, sky blue, or pretty much any two of the above. The only way I'm cool with blue is if they bring back orange and/or sand/khaki. 

4 hours ago, Lights Out said:

They still looked boring and derivative; the only difference was that they were trying to rip off the Rays instead of the Yankees.

Both the Padres and Rays are currently ripping of the Yankees anyway.

The Padres are :censored: ing ridiculous. They do these focus groups every few years. Run polls every few years. And they always end up telling the team that most people want them in brown. And then they ignore them and try again.

It's clear that management wants them in blue and white for reasons beyond comprehension and will run these studies until one of them tells them what they want to know.

The one consistency in the Padres brand is that their uniforms have always reflected whatever was trendy at the time. I wouldn't mind steady updates to their uniforms a la Pepsi's branding, as long as they just settle on brown and gold.

2 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

It seems like the people who prefer blue consider brown too far out for them to buy a shirt but don't actively dislike it due to its historical association with the team. Meanwhile, those who prefer brown tend to hate the blue (especially blue and white) because they view it as lazy and derivative.

Admittedly I'm extrapolating people's motivations, but given how vocal the "bring back brown!" crowd seems to be, my hypothesis probably has some validity to it. 

:blink:

How are you getting any of that from what we've seen?

9 minutes ago, CS85 said:

This concept is solid.

8663089373_8e401d9859_o.jpg

All that said, I cannot emphasize how much that the Swinging Friar must feature.  It's like the damned Brownie Elf.  This logo is vital to the dignity of the franchise, whether the franchise likes it or not. 

This may be the best Padres concept I've ever seen.

1 minute ago, NicDB said:

The one consistency in the Padres brand is that their uniforms have always reflected whatever was trendy at the time. I wouldn't mind steady updates to their uniforms a la Pepsi's branding, as long as they just settle on brown and gold.

The one thing I don't want the Padres to do with brown is come up with something real old fashioned. They're not a classic team so they shouldn't pretend they are and more so, they're free to do whatever they want. I'd love to see them take a swing like the Marlins and Dbacks did.

Just now, Gothamite said:

:blink:

How are you getting any of that from what we've seen?

Blue has more "hate it" reactions than brown does. It's just my guess - but I do think brown supporters are more passionate about it than blue supporters are, and thus more likely to hate the other primary option.

4 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

Both the Padres and Rays are currently ripping of the Yankees anyway.

The Padres are :censored: ing ridiculous. They do these focus groups every few years. Run polls every few years. And they always end up telling the team that most people want them in brown. And then they ignore them and try again.

It's clear that management wants them in blue and white for reasons beyond comprehension and will run these studies until one of them tells them what they want to know.

Theory: The Padres brass knows that brown and gold are popular.  They're intentionally sandbagging until their decade-long rebuild starts to show promise so that any huge redesign doesn't get held back by the on-field product.  If you're going to pull the trigger, might as wait until the team's decent enough for people to actually pony up the money.

VmWIn6B.png

5 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

But given how polarizing brown is...it might be a rational choice to move past the brown.  But if so, does it have to be blue and white?  That's what irks me about all of this.  The focus group should be "we're moving on from blue and white...we want to be distinctive with a color scheme we'll keep for the next 50 years."  The All-Star blue and yellow could be considered given that that color scheme is long dead (thank you Brewers).  Or even something out of the box like the red and yellow discussed above.  

Well as Goth said, the brown isn't polarizing. It seems to be liked by the most people, and the people who dislike brown dislike it less then the people who dislike blue. Brown seems to be the most liked and least disliked choice. It isn't polarizing, outside of a few outliers.

As to why it has to be brown and gold or blue and white? Well it has to be that because the line has to be drawn somewhere. This team has cycled through so many identities and colour schemes that anything else would just be one more trendy option on the pile. Blue and gold was bad enough. Red and gold? Just another experiment the team will likely move on from.

The Padres have been around for what? Fifty years? And they've never had a truly stable brand. If they want to create one now? They need to stop adding to the ongoing identity crisis.

They need to go through their previous identities and find one that resonates. They've used blue and white a ton and they've used brown and gold a ton. That's a good enough reason to limit it to those options because the act of eliminating the various Padres identities has to happen eventually.

Just now, LMU said:

Theory: The Padres brass knows that brown and gold are popular.  They're intentionally sandbagging until their decade-long rebuild starts to show promise so that any huge redesign doesn't get held back by the on-field product.  If you're going to pull the trigger, might as wait until the team's decent enough for people to actually pony up the money.

Not a coincidence that the Padres say they're probably going back to brown after they sign Hosmer and get worse.

42 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

I know it's fun for throwback purposes but do y'all really think this would look good as a modern full-time uniform?

Yes.

I know it's distinct but I don't think brown is the way to go.

Polling says you are in the minority on that.

54 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

I know it's fun for throwback purposes but do y'all really think this would look good as a modern full-time uniform? I know it's distinct but I don't think brown is the way to go.

Yes, yes I do

Archived