San Diego Padres focus-grouping new uniforms for 2020

Gothamite

1 hour ago, LMU said:

Miami has a taxpayer fleeced ballpark.  You'd have to move a team there to not cut off the civic government money pipeline.

Sure - but then you are just aribtrarily interspersing reality into fantasy

It's where I sit.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

aribtrarily interspersing reality into fantasy

Board slogan

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The Padres' fans want brown, but the ownership secretly wants to DARKEN the blue and add red to the scheme.

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

2 hours ago, LMU said:

Miami has a taxpayer fleeced ballpark.  You'd have to move a team there to not cut off the civic government money pipeline.

True, but I can dream, right?

the user formerly known as cdclt

1 hour ago, buzzcut said:

The Padres' fans want brown, but the ownership secretly wants to DARKEN the blue and add red to the scheme.

The hell? Why?

Any fan old enough to remember when the PCL Padres wore those colors is collecting social security.

1 minute ago, NicDB said:

The hell? Why?

Any fan old enough to remember when the PCL Padres wore those colors is collecting social security.

Some people have a fascination with the vintage PCL. It's part of why Ebbets Field Flannels does so much business. However, not all of the PCL teams had particularly memorable looks or names. The PCL Padres had some pretty inventive designs, some of which the NL Padres have emulated over the years (to varying degrees of success):

SanDiegoPadresJerseyHistory1936-38.pngSanDiegoPadresJerseyHistory1967-68.pngSanDiegoPadresJerseyHistory1939-41.png

SanDiegoPadresJerseyHistory1949.pngSanDiegoPadresJerseyHistory1951-52.png

While these imitations aren't exact, they get the basic idea across:

SanDiegoPadresJerseyHistory1974.pngSanDiegoPadresJerseyHistory2004.png

Of course, a lot of the PCL color schemes were navy/red, royal/red, and navy/orange permutations. That's why I maintain that the NL Padres should update some PCL aesthetics and put their own spin on it (read: brown/yellow, navy/powder/orange, brown/powder/yellow, etc.). Just imitating the PCL Padres whole-cloth doesn't work in a modern age of branding.

57 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Some people have a fascination with the vintage PCL. It's part of why Ebbets Field Flannels does so much business. However, not all of the PCL teams had particularly memorable looks or names. The PCL Padres had some pretty inventive designs, some of which the NL Padres have emulated over the years (to varying degrees of success):

SanDiegoPadresJerseyHistory1936-38.pngSanDiegoPadresJerseyHistory1967-68.pngSanDiegoPadresJerseyHistory1939-41.png

Of course, a lot of the PCL color schemes were navy/red, royal/red, and navy/orange permutations. That's why I maintain that the NL Padres should update some PCL aesthetics and put their own spin on it (read: brown/yellow, navy/powder/orange, brown/powder/yellow, etc.). Just imitating the PCL Padres whole-cloth doesn't work in a modern age of branding.

Don't get me wrong... I'd love to see the Padres evoking some PCL history as part of their brand. But the colors are literally the last thing that should be part of it.

Rhetorical question, why are they acting like brown is such a difficult color to commit to? As some other posters have already pointed out, brown is a popular color fashion-wise so it's not like the merchandise won't sell. They are flirting with the idea of changing to a pretty conservative color scheme while treating it like it is some garish color combination. 

I mean, brown as a clothing color did fall out of fashion.  But that was the 1980s.  It came back in the 90s and has been back ever since. 

But they know that.  They see the sales figures. The fact alone that they introduced a brown alternate tells us they know how well it sells. 

16 hours ago, Olmec said:

Rhetorical question, why are they acting like brown is such a difficult color to commit to? As some other posters have already pointed out, brown is a popular color fashion-wise so it's not like the merchandise won't sell. They are flirting with the idea of changing to a pretty conservative color scheme while treating it like it is some garish color combination. 

There is one team in the big 4 that wears brown so it's not exactly a safe choice. 

The Hershey Bears are an example of brown being a potentially incredible design element if you do it right. 

1200px-Hershey_Bears_logo.svg.png

Bear_Paw.svg

FC St. Pauli rocks it, also with a splash of red in there.

linkTwo.jpg

I don't want to hear this crap about brown being a lousy color.  Brown is beautiful.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

On 7/17/2018 at 5:00 PM, SFGiants58 said:

I've actually thought a brown/yellow/powder blue combo could look really good and be a way for ownership to maintain the blue in some way, which they seem determined to do.

58 minutes ago, hawk36 said:

Anyone know... Do teams get all the revenue from their jersey and cap sales or do they put all in a pot and divide evenly among all teams?  

I BELIEVE that merchandise revenue is shared, unless it is sold in the "team store", in which case the team keeps it all.

It's where I sit.

Archived