2018 NFL Season

PittsburghSucks

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, McCarthy said:

Romeo Crennel - 24-40, but one of those was that weird 10-6 Derek Anderson season in 2007. They still managed to miss the playoffs. The last time they had a winning record. 

3 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

:censored: Tony Dungy and the Colts forever.

Because I have the time and was a Colts fan at this point in my life, I wanted to look up what you're talking about. And the real villain of this 2007 Browns story is not Dungy and the Colts, but an even more sinister foe... Tennessee Titans kicker Rob Bironas.

The Colts were 13-2 going into the game, had already clinched a first round bye, and weren't catching the 16-0 Pats for the No. 1 seed. They had nothing to play for. Even then, the Titans had trouble beating Jim Sorgi and the Colts back-ups, but got 3 late field goals by Rob Bironas to win the game.

The Titans' win put them in a tie at 10-6 with the Browns, but the Titans made the playoffs on the tiebreaker of record against common opponents, which were Houston, Cincinnati, Oakland and the Jets. Cleveland went 4-2, Tennessee went 5-1.

The Titans beat the Texans in their first match-up, 38-36, with an NFL record for most field goals in a game, 8 by Bironas, including the last-second game-winner. A week later, the Titans squeaked by Oakland, 13-9, by taking the lead on a Bironas extra point, and sealing the game on a Bironas field goal. In Week 16, the Titans squeezed by the Jets, 10-6, by taking the lead on a Bironas extra point, and sealing the game on a Bironas field goal. Rob Bironas.

On the Browns side of the ledger, in Week 3, they found themselves down 16-0 to Josh McCown (oh, the irony) and the Raiders in Oakland. McCown was injured late in the first half, and Daunte Culpepper led the Raiders in the second half. The Browns made the go-ahead field goal with three seconds left, but oh no, Lane Kiffin called timeout to negate the field goal. Phil Dawson stepped up again, and this time his 40-yard attempt was blocked by Tommy Kelly. Browns lose, 26-24. Those Browns were also down 19-0 at halftime to the 7-9 Bengals in Week 16.

The Browns also lost at Pittsburgh by 3, when Phil Dawson couldn't connect on a 53-yard FG at the end of the game. They also had a potential game-winning TD (a 37-yard pass from Derek Anderson to Kellen Winslow) not awarded because despite being hit in the air while making the catch and with 2007 being the last season with the forceout rule, Winslow only got one foot down. Also, now this was actually a win, the Browns beat the Bills, 8-0, that season.

That was a fun look back on today's edition of As the Browns Turn...

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

5 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

The NFL is the least dependent on major markets and classical teams of all the big sports leagues. The league abandoned the second largest media market for over 20 years. At the time, the Saints-Colts Super Bowl was the most-watched television program in history. Acting like the Patriots are a team that matters for the NFL's success is a weird product of them being good for nearly two decades. They just didn't matter in the grand scheme of things before 2001.

I’d argue that the NBA is even less reliant on markets.  Sure, the media has a hard-on for the Lakers and would probably give anything for the Knicks to not suck, but the players make that league moreso than the franchises.

55 minutes ago, SabresRule7361 said:

America needs Brady and Belichick to go away moreso than anything else.

No, we need you to go away. Didn’t you get a mod warning about posting like this? How many warnings do you need?

Besides, Tom Brady doesn’t have any rape allegations hanging over his head. That alone makes him more likable than Big Ben. Big Ben retiring would be a lovely event.

1 hour ago, SabresRule7361 said:

Fixed.

I would rather the Steelers win the next 8 SB’s than the Pats win one more.

Wait...

You don't like the Patriots?

Huh.

Is there any way we couldve known this earlier?

18 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Wait...

You don't like the Patriots?

Huh.

Is there any way we couldve known this earlier?

Pretty out of the blue if you ask me. Total blindside. A stunning development. 

spacer.png

Nice. Howie done did it again. Maybe now he can get a d-back and running back since they’re starting guys off the street. 

Wonder what this means for Jordan Matthews and Nelson Agolar. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, SabresRule7361 said:

Fixed.

2 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

No, we need you to go away. Didn’t you get a mod warning about posting like this? How many warnings do you need?

Besides, Tom Brady doesn’t have any rape allegations hanging over his head. That alone makes him more likable than Big Ben. Big Ben retiring would be a lovely event.

He has been told to cut it out, yes. 

@SabresRule7361 stop. I don’t know how many more times you need to be told. 

8 hours ago, Red Wolf said:

The NFL is the least dependent on major markets and classical teams of all the big sports leagues.

This is absolutely true, but they traded that long ago for a far bigger dependence:  network television revenue.  They've offset that dependence via the Sunday Ticket revenue to some extent, but if the four networks suddenly lost interest in the NFL, say at the end of this current contract round (after the 2022 season)?  They'd be screwed blue and tattooed.

7 hours ago, crashcarson15 said:

:censored: Tony Dungy and the Colts forever.

Don't hold back, Crash.  How do you really feel?

4 hours ago, SabresRule7361 said:

I grew up a Browns fan and I could live with that.

3 hours ago, Kaz said:

I’d argue that the NBA is even less reliant on markets.

Again, they traded one dependence for another - television revenue.  The NBA is far less prepared than the NFL is to offset that revenue source if it were to suddenly dry up though, so the potential for fall out would be greater.

47 minutes ago, Ice_Cap said:

He has been told to cut it out, yes. 

@SabresRule7361 stop. I don’t know how many more times you need to be told. 

Give him a warning point!  Give him a warning point!
Sorry, @Ice_Cap... I just couldn't resist.  :D

nav-logo.png

Back from the dead Bills QB Derek Anderson was concussed against the Patriots. So that means it looks like Nathan Peterman and his career 31.4 passer rating will start against the Bears this weekend.

Peterman has played in three games for the Bills this season, with passing totals of 5/18 for 24 yards (Week 1 @ Ravens), 6/12 for 61 yards (Week 6 @ Texans) and 2/2 for 23 yards (Monday vs Patriots). In his 7 career NFL games played and 3 career NFL starts, Peterman has completed 45% of his passes for a total of 360 yards, 3 TDs and 9 interceptions.

Peterman has never finished an NFL game in which he started. Peterman is currently the only active QB on the Bills roster.

@Cosmic, you have the floor.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

30 minutes ago, DiePerske said:

Pryor to the Bills

I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE..... HATE HATE HATE him, but

looks like he might get a chance at qb

I could get a chance at QB if Nathan Peterman was my competition for crying out loud

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

What if it’s Nathan Peterman?

Buffalo isn't that lucky, but you're on to something. The Bills need Nathan Peterman taken away, like you would take a drunk's keys. They obviously can't be trusted to make the right decision.

Archived