Vegas, Army Settle Golden Knights Trademark Battle

Vegas, Army Settle Golden Knights Trademark Battle

July 19, 2018 - 21:15 PM

The Vegas Golden Knights today announced that they and the Army and have come to an agreement that will allow for both sides to continue using the Golden Knights kname. “We are pleased that we have agreed to coexist regarding […]

Read More...

I always found it strange that Foley asked permission from West Point to use the "Black Knight" monicker and colours, but... while being fully aware of the "Golden Knights" parachute team, decided NOT to seek permission from that group. After being refused by West Point, was this a matter of "better to ask forgiveness (and work things out later), than to seek permission?

4 hours ago, sparky chewbarky said:

I always found it strange that Foley asked permission from West Point to use the "Black Knight" monicker and colours, but... while being fully aware of the "Golden Knights" parachute team, decided NOT to seek permission from that group. After being refused by West Point, was this a matter of "better to ask forgiveness (and work things out later), than to seek permission?

Possibly. It is also possible that he viewed the Vegas Black Knights hockey team could be potentially confused with the West Point Black Knights hockey team, and that the Vegas Golden Knights would not be confused with the West Point Golden Knights parachute team.

On 7/19/2018 at 6:24 PM, kimball said:

Shoot. I was hoping for a name change to the Vegas Knights.

We've been over this a thousand times.  That is never going to happen.  London owns that trademark.

banners

9 hours ago, DAKINS24 said:

We've been over this a thousand times.  That is never going to happen.  London owns that trademark.

Vegas > London

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

15 hours ago, DAKINS24 said:

...and on multiple occasions I’ve had to dig up a quote from the London brass saying they were never contacted by Foley, but that they were open to talking. I can’t help but think negotiating with an OHL team would be a hell of a lot easier than negotiating with the US Army. 

I’m firmly of the opinion that Foley always wanted a two part name, and when his first choice was turned down he went for the second best US Army associated name.

Archived