Son Of FoxTrax: Enter the "LAXGLOBALL"

Viper

Remember the FoxTrax puck? If so, would you prefer to forget it? Well then, I have some bad news for you: A new variation on the technology has surfaced, this time for lacrosse balls.

Dubbed LAXGLOBALL (yes, all caps), its purpose is similar to that of FoxTrax: To make the ball easier to see on a video screen. As it turns out, the technology's first test bed was in Minnesota this past Wednesday in a local box lacrosse league game (Minneapolis Wheatkings in wheat vs. Hastings Walleye in purple), some footage from which is posted below. As used here, all the ball does is glow; there is thankfully no fake vapor trail behind it like FoxTrax had. Of course, that doesn't mean future iterations won't have it.

I'm not sure what to think of it just yet. On one hand it does seem to work as advertised; on the other, if this catches on it's probably just a matter of time before it, too, gets gimmicked up by TV networks, not just with vapor trails but stuff like explosion/fireworks animations for goals.

CCSLC signature.png

Ha I love it even though at first it looks like they're playing with a cartoon ball. Like Roger Rabbit or something. Lacrosse on TV's problem has always been that the ball literally disappears when it goes into someone's pocket. It's the sport where the object is hardest to spot, even harder than hockey. 

I also think someone in hockey broadcasting should give the glow puck another try. The tech would be better now, this shows that you can do it without it being as obnoxious as the glowpuck was. Just don't do the contrails on the shots and it'll work. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

McCarthy is right. If you 86 the chemtrails on the ball or puck, I think this is something that I'd stop paying attention to within a few games. 

"And then I remember to relax, and stop trying to hold on to it, and then it flows through me like rain and I can't feel anything but gratitude for every single moment of my stupid little life... You have no idea what I'm talking about, I'm sure. But don't worry... you will someday." 

4 hours ago, Alex Houston said:

McCarthy is right. If you 86 the chemtrails on the ball or puck, I think this is something that I'd stop paying attention to within a few games. 

I’ve used the puck with a glow around it on NHL games before and it can be very helpful.

spacer.png

Archived