16kid

Ducks Go Mighty Retro for New Third Jersey

Recommended Posts

The only thing I don't like is the Bruinsy yoke. Other than that I think it's sexy as hell. 

 

Reminds me of the Cincinnati Mighty Ducks black alternates that were super sharp. 

 

I hear the complaints that this is trying to be too many things at once, a foot in each era, "tried to please everyone and pleased no one". Those criticisms make sense to me and yet I'm not bothered by them because I think it works so well on its own. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Honestly, I love the black/jade/silver combo, and I almost wish they had simplified it to that (taking away the eggplant, the orange, and the D logos). 

 

It's all the extra little bits that muddy this thing up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually think it looks awesome and wish it wasn't a one-off for the season, and a white version came next year to make it the primary.  I think all the colors work well.  My only complaint is the style of the yoke is the exact same as the Bruins, which was a specific design for them.  But with the black base, I feel it needs the yoke.  Like the poster above, I see where people are coming from, but I love it a ton on it's own.

 

Ok, maybe the numbers suck, but that isn't a new thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The jersey has grown on me and I do think I like it for the purposes of a one season anniversary alternate, which it seems to be.

 

I also saw a picture of the jersey in the sunlight at the unvieling and the eggplant is more noticeable. I’m in phone so I can’t really find it right now, but I think the difference between the black and eggplant will be more drastic than in the staged photos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s a pic of one of those black Starter fashion jerseys from back in the day. If they needed to make the new alt black, I like this (with a couple tweaks) a lot better than the mash-up they decided on. 

 

Ux39YY6.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

The jersey has grown on me and I do think I like it for the purposes of a one season anniversary alternate, which it seems to be.

 

I also saw a picture of the jersey in the sunlight at the unvieling and the eggplant is more noticeable. I’m in phone so I can’t really find it right now, but I think the difference between the black and eggplant will be more drastic than in the staged photos.

 

DiqgEyqWsAEjRMJ.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2018 at 1:42 AM, ebod39 said:

 That has absolute zero to do with it.  It's black because that is now and has been their primary color, then mix in the colors from their history. 

It's that simple and nothing to read into.

Black is the jersey color that ties the 2 era's together with the black 3rd they wore prior to the rebrand to the current terrible look. So it makes perfect sense that they would use that as the base while adding in the Jade and Eggplant and Silver... I think these look good in certain pics and as an Anniversary 3rd I can't really complain on it.

 

I just wish they would have gone with the white throwback since they went eggplant for the XX anniversary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, jdavidev said:

I actually think it looks awesome and wish it wasn't a one-off for the season, and a white version came next year to make it the primary.  I think all the colors work well.  My only complaint is the style of the yoke is the exact same as the Bruins, which was a specific design for them.  But with the black base, I feel it needs the yoke.  Like the poster above, I see where people are coming from, but I love it a ton on it's own.

 

Ok, maybe the numbers suck, but that isn't a new thing.

 

If they were smart, they would keep these as a permanent alternate, bring the orange jersey back as the home jersey (not just as the third) and come up with a white version of that.  Switch out the numbers and they would have a pretty sweet set.  Their current home/away is pure garbage.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The yoke desperately needed eggplant to balance the top and the bottom.  I get that the orange sticks tie into the current era but they clash way too much with everything else.  What would have made more sense would have been an eggplant circle, jade triangle, and silver sticks.  The black in the circle is a bit wasted with the logo already on a black sweater and all you seem to notice are the orange of the sticks with the drab colors of the primary and the jade on the yoke and the hem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2018 at 9:36 AM, EddieJ1984 said:

You do realize

 

yooooooooooooou dooooooooooooo realiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiize.............whooooa ohhh ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/22/2018 at 3:50 AM, mafiaman said:

it looks awesome!

 

On 7/22/2018 at 3:52 AM, mafiaman said:

Hate it.

 

5d8YwGc.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Still MIGHTY said:

 

[photo removed]

 

The difference is definitely visible in the sunlight, which means it won't be visible on all but the closest TV angles and to anyone not sitting on the glass at the game. Swing and a miss. If the striping was white-eggplant-white it would stand out more, but then it wouldn't have the silver-eggplant-white stripe from the Mighty Ducks jerseys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LMU said:

The yoke desperately needed eggplant to balance the top and the bottom.  I get that the orange sticks tie into the current era but they clash way too much with everything else.  What would have made more sense would have been an eggplant circle, jade triangle, and silver sticks.  The black in the circle is a bit wasted with the logo already on a black sweater and all you seem to notice are the orange of the sticks with the drab colors of the primary and the jade on the yoke and the hem.

 

That's it, really. Either add eggplant to the yoke, or eliminate the eggplant altogether and simplify.

 

There's no remedy for the orange other than to eliminate it. You don't want to add another color to the rest of the jersey.

 

I'd prefer no more monkeying around with the logo. We now have FIVE versions of the same thing with varying colors (Jade/Silver/Gold triangles with yellow sticks, gold triangle with orange sticks, silver triangle with orange sticks) with this latest one being the dullest of the them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

 

That's it, really. Either add eggplant to the yoke, or eliminate the eggplant altogether and simplify.

 

There's no remedy for the orange other than to eliminate it. You don't want to add another color to the rest of the jersey.

 

I'd prefer no more monkeying around with the logo. We now have FIVE versions of the same thing with varying colors (Jade/Silver/Gold triangles with yellow sticks, gold triangle with orange sticks, silver triangle with orange sticks) with this latest one being the dullest of the them.

That was the flaw of the logo in the first place.

 

You go with a jade/eggplant/black/silver/yellow color palette yet design a primary logo that fails to incorporate one of the main two colors in both the white and colored background application.

 

The silver triangle on the eggplant jersey never made any sense.  The white sweater didn't have any silver in the primary logo either so forcing it on the eggplant sweater seemed pointless.  There's nothing wrong with this:

 

XexkSF7.png

 

The problem comes with a white background.  They designed a logo that you can't find a place to incorporate your primary color.  The mask element looks awkward replacing the black in the circle so unless you were to just throw an awkward outline around the whole thing I don't know what else you'd do.  

ALaRaBq.png

So, if they were to honor the past with forcing silver in I'd go with something like this and skip the orange since that doesn't go with anything.

 

t4ZVvzi.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing that is lost in this discussion is that technically, this is actually Adidas' first NHL jersey that has straight hem stripes.

 

(Might not be perfectly horizontal, but they are straight.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2018 at 10:25 PM, LMU said:

That was the flaw of the logo in the first place.

 

You go with a jade/eggplant/black/silver/yellow color palette yet design a primary logo that fails to incorporate one of the main two colors in both the white and colored background application.

 

The silver triangle on the eggplant jersey never made any sense.  The white sweater didn't have any silver in the primary logo either so forcing it on the eggplant sweater seemed pointless.  There's nothing wrong with this:

 

XexkSF7.png

 

The problem comes with a white background.  They designed a logo that you can't find a place to incorporate your primary color.  The mask element looks awkward replacing the black in the circle so unless you were to just throw an awkward outline around the whole thing I don't know what else you'd do.  

ALaRaBq.png

So, if they were to honor the past with forcing silver in I'd go with something like this and skip the orange since that doesn't go with anything.

 

t4ZVvzi.png

Another solution is to to replace all black with eggplant.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, ldconcepts said:

Another solution is to to replace all black with eggplant.

 

Fz6M5OB.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shoulder D logo is a shame, but honestly?  I'm very okay with this.  I think it looks pretty solid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2018 at 11:28 PM, SFGiants58 said:

 

You could always be like @hockey week and just call it purple and green, with a cruel comment about “Paul Kariya’s tears“ (before we learned that he was severely concussed at the time) and how people only love the identity because of nostalgia. I get that he was “bullied” by fans of the movies who “didn’t understand hockey,” but his attitude came off as both dismissive and gate-keeping.

 

I’m glad he and Octopus have stopped chiming in on the Ducks. I like real discussion of it, without assuming everybody who liked the old identity was a Disney shill/blinded by nostalgia. It added little to the conversation.

 

The third sweater is a messy hodgepodge, but it also demonstrates why the Ducks should start from scratch with their look. They’ve never had a solid set of logos that could stand up to time, instead opting to trend-chase. Just keep the name and a retro third, while rebooting everything else.

 

WOW...how long ago was that? I'm trying to think the last time I was actively on here.

And the irony of being a snob over names of colors while accusing others of being dismissive and gatekeeping is THICK.

If you're that hurt over calling it purple and green, and enough to tag me in it, then I feel absolutely justified in lobbing shots at you in your ivory tower of color naming specifics.

 

I stand by everything I've said, and all love for this third is nostalgia-only, because top to bottom, this jersey is a mess.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, hockey week said:

I stand by everything I've said, and all love for this third is nostalgia-only, because top to bottom, this jersey is a mess.

 

So people are actually welcoming this jersey? I'm quite nostalgic myself (heck, I just spent my entire lunch in an old school video game store) this jersey doesn't conjure up nostalgia at all for me. I agree with you, all I see is a mess. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.