16kid

Ducks Go Mighty Retro for New Third Jersey

Recommended Posts

The shoulders are what’s holding this back. There’s too much “stuff” on this jersey, and the heavy helm striping combined with the heavy yoke striping is just too much. The logo looks squished. 

 

Get rid of the jade shoulders and the silver stripes and you’ll have a sharp looking sweater. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, hockey week said:

And the irony of being a snob over names of colors while accusing others of being dismissive and gatekeeping is THICK.

If you're that hurt over calling it purple and green, and enough to tag me in it, then I feel absolutely justified in lobbing shots at you in your ivory tower of color naming specifics.

 

I’d hardly call it being a snob, just asking for a little more respect to the Ducks’ initial brand. Is Eggplant all that different from “Pittsburgh Gold?” What I didn’t do was dismiss people’s enjoyment of a specific look as nostalgia (maybe they like the colors, striping style, or even the logos for their craftsmanship). I didn’t bring a concussed player’s tearful speech into the discussion.  

 

The reason I called you out for “gatekeeping” was that you were so willing to dismiss all love for the identity as “nostalgia” and used your childhood story as an excuse for your hated, claiming that fans of the movie were “ruining” your youth hockey experience and not understanding the game. It shouldn’t matter how they got into hockey, they’ll learn soon enough and become good fans in their own way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Olmec said:

So people are actually welcoming this jersey? I'm quite nostalgic myself (heck, I just spent my entire lunch in an old school video game store) this jersey doesn't conjure up nostalgia at all for me. I agree with you, all I see is a mess. 

 

I was at the NHL store in New York City just the other day, and I asked about it, and the employee there said I was about the 50th one that day. I have friends who were very excited until they realized it was black, that took some wind out of the sails, but yeah, people want this, and I totally think it's nostalgia for that logo (and the times it evokes) and nothing more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

 

I’d hardly call it being a snob, just asking for a little more respect to the Ducks’ initial brand. Is Eggplant all that different from “Pittsburgh Gold?” What I didn’t do was dismiss people’s enjoyment of a specific look as nostalgia (maybe they like the colors, striping style, or even the logos for their craftsmanship). I didn’t bring a concussed player’s tearful speech into the discussion.  

 

The reason I called you out for “gatekeeping” was that you were so willing to dismiss all love for the identity as “nostalgia” and used your childhood story as an excuse for your hated, claiming that fans of the movie were “ruining” your youth hockey experience and not understanding the game. It shouldn’t matter how they got into hockey, they’ll learn soon enough and become good fans in their own way.

 

It wasn't people who were into hockey, but people who used it to mock and hate on hockey, there is a distinct difference. 

 

I really don't bother with needing "Pittsburgh gold" versus any other name, most of it is useless verbiage put out by the manufacturers. Unless it's a distinction like, athletic gold versus vegas gold, why bother getting into an argument over that? So many of the colors end up identical in the fabric now anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, hockey week said:

 

I was at the NHL store in New York City just the other day, and I asked about it, and the employee there said I was about the 50th one that day. I have friends who were very excited until they realized it was black, that took some wind out of the sails, but yeah, people want this, and I totally think it's nostalgia for that logo (and the times it evokes) and nothing more.

Crazy, I go nuts for that logo too but not on this monstrosity. There are dozens of other ways to pay homage to the two different eras...this was a swing and a miss for me. Shame too, I would've loved to pick one up. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, hockey week said:

It wasn't people who were into hockey, but people who used it to mock and hate on hockey, there is a distinct difference. 

 

Well then, I apologize for misinterpreting your story. However, my point still stands. Claiming the movie(s) made a "mockery" out of hockey (hardly - The Love Guru should earn more ire for its portrayal of the sport), the Kariya's tears comment (you look like you're making fun of a guy with a severe concussion, the effects of which still impact him), and the "nostalgia is the only reason why people like it" attitude rub me the wrong way. I have no nostalgic attachment to the logos, but I can give you plenty of reasons why people like the look:

 

1. The colors went well together and produced a unique look in the NHL.

2. The primary uniform templates had a standout design, one that made excellent use out of the color scheme. It was a deviation from traditional striping that worked well.

3. The crest was certainly striking, combining the mascot name with the sport's equipment in a well-balanced design. While it may have had occasional issues with color distribution, it was a fantastic design that captured your attention and could handle all sorts of applications (i.e., it shrunk down well, as it wasn't over-detailed). 

4. It isn't the black/orange/gold mess of the current design that still carries over a lot of the bad mid-2000s design trends.

 

There is more to it than "nostalgia." I hope you can see that, and maybe learn to not judge all Ducks fans by those bullies. It is a LEGITMATE identity, and people can like it for reasons THAT HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH NOSTALGIA.

 

I apologize for calling you out and wasting your time, but I wanted to get it off of my chest. I can see where you are coming from, but I'm hoping you can "respect" this opinion that I've defended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Ice_Cap said:

The shoulders are what’s holding this back. There’s too much “stuff” on this jersey, and the heavy helm striping combined with the heavy yoke striping is just too much. The logo looks squished. 

 

Get rid of the jade shoulders and the silver stripes and you’ll have a sharp looking sweater. 

 

It's up for preorder on the NHL shop and, interestingly, the hem striping is positioned lower on the Fanatics version. Slightly improves the design by giving the logo and numbers more room to breathe. Buuuut I don't think I can get past the subliminated crest. Well played, NHL.

 

0iRbWKR.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, wildwing64 said:

 

It's up for preorder on the NHL shop and, interestingly, the hem striping is positioned lower on the Fanatics version. Slightly improves the design by giving the logo and numbers more room to breathe. Buuuut I don't think I can get past the subliminated crest. Well played, NHL.

 

0iRbWKR.png

 

On this: :censored: you, Adidas. :censored: you, Fanatics. :censored: you, NHL.

 

Between the version on the Ducks team store site and the two versions on the NHL shop, I have no :censored:ing clue what I would be buying.

 

What they’ve done to the tiering of the jerseys available for purchase is criminal and gross.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Still MIGHTY said:

 

On this: :censored: you, Adidas. :censored: you, Fanatics. :censored: you, NHL.

 

Between the version on the Ducks team store site and the two versions on the NHL shop, I have no :censored:ing clue what I would be buying.

 

What they’ve done to the tiering of the jerseys available for purchase is criminal and gross.

 

What are you unclear about? There are only two garment tiers at retail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As a jersey collector, it's beyond infuriating that Adidas isn't selling the made in Canada jerseys at retail. I understand it from a business standpoint but I still don't like it. I have a game-worn Bruins Adidas so I at least have one MIC jersey but I've got a lot of MIC Reeboks and I'd rather not have to hunt for gamers to get a proper Blackhawks jersey.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

 

What are you unclear about? There are only two garment tiers at retail.

 

1 hour ago, Kevin W. said:

As a jersey collector, it's beyond infuriating that Adidas isn't selling the made in Canada jerseys at retail. I understand it from a business standpoint but I still don't like it. I have a game-worn Bruins Adidas so I at least have one MIC jersey but I've got a lot of MIC Reeboks and I'd rather not have to hunt for gamers to get a proper Blackhawks jersey.

 

I guess I wouldn't say I'm unclear about the levels, necessarily. It's partially what Kevin here is alluding to.

 

We have the on-ice authentics, as in authentically what the players wear, which are no longer available for purchase.

 

Then Adidas has its "authentics" that is sells, which is not authentically what the players wear. It's authentic in that yes it is officially licensed by the NHL and produced by its official jersey provider Adidas, but it is not an authentic as we the jersey buying/consuming public have become. As far as my interactions with it, it seems to me there's not much different between it and the Reebok premier replicas of years previous, other than the fight strap. Really that's the thing that bothers me.

 

Then you have the piss-poor product that is the Fanatics replicas, which at best should not be sold anywhere outside of Wal-Mart. (It's really just of such a low quality, that when I see other fans buying them thinking they're the same as Reebok replicas it makes me annoyed with them and angry at NHL/Adidas/Fanatics for putting that out, how they're named, and what they're charging people for them.)

 

The unclear/frustrating thing about the current situation with this jersey is look at what the Ducks Team Store (anaheimteamstore.com) is advertising vs. what the NHL Shop is advertising.

 

Team Store:

empty_background_with_banner-800x800.png

 

NHL Shop:

ff_3237122alt1_full.jpg&w=900

 

To my eye shopping on the Internet, I would almost say the one on the Ducks Team Store sight looks like it has the cut of a real deal authentic. And it is more expensive, so in my head I say, "well damn it might just be the real deal authentic." That is until I remember Adidas doesn't sell the real deal authentics, and that pisses me off again. And then I see the image on the NHL Shop site, which looks more like the replica "authentic" Adidas sells. And it is less expensive, so in my head I say "well... :censored: which is it? Are they the same? Is this the Replithentic? Is the Ducks site authentic? What the :censored: is what?" And I clearly don't know what the :censored: is what any more, because the "authentics" Adidas are peddling aren't actually authentics. 

 

It's the disingenuous naming of it all that pisses me off, and confuses the general jersey-buying public. Now, following conversations in Facebook fan groups already has a certain level of idiocy to it, but idiocy in the Facebook Ducks groups about these jerseys and their general misunderstanding of it all (and the misdirected anger it creates) is at a level I have never seen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Still MIGHTY said:

 

 

I guess I wouldn't say I'm unclear about the levels, necessarily. It's partially what Kevin here is alluding to.

 

We have the on-ice authentics, as in authentically what the players wear, which are no longer available for purchase.

 

Then Adidas has its "authentics" that is sells, which is not authentically what the players wear. It's authentic in that yes it is officially licensed by the NHL and produced by its official jersey provider Adidas, but it is not an authentic as we the jersey buying/consuming public have become. As far as my interactions with it, it seems to me there's not much different between it and the Reebok premier replicas of years previous, other than the fight strap. Really that's the thing that bothers me.

 

Then you have the piss-poor product that is the Fanatics replicas, which at best should not be sold anywhere outside of Wal-Mart.

 

The unclear/frustrating thing about the current situation with this jersey is look at what the Ducks Team Store (anaheimteamstore.com) is advertising vs. what the NHL Shop is advertising.

 

Team Store:

empty_background_with_banner-800x800.png

 

NHL Shop:

ff_3237122alt1_full.jpg&w=900

 

To my eye shopping on the Internet, I would almost say the one on the Ducks Team Store sight looks like it has the cut of a real deal authentic. And it is more expensive, so in my head I say, "well damn it might just be the real deal authentic." That is until I remember Adidas doesn't sell the real deal authentics, and that pisses me off again. And then I see the image on the NHL Shop site, which looks more like the replica "authentic" Adidas sells. And it is less expensive, so in my head I say "well... :censored: which is it? Are they the same? Is this the Replithentic? Is the Ducks site authentic? What the :censored: is what?" And I clearly don't know what the :censored: is what any more, because the "authentics" Adidas are peddling aren't actually authentics. 

 

It's the disingenuous naming of it all that pisses me off, and confuses the general jersey-buying public. Now, following conversations in Facebook fan groups already has a certain level of idiocy to it, but idiocy in the Facebook Ducks groups about these jerseys and their general misunderstanding of it all (and the misdirected anger it creates) is at a level I have never seen.

 

The biggest difference between the retail authentic and the on-ice authentic is the cut and fit. The on-ice jersey has an articulated shape for pads and motion that’s inherent to the sport, which aren’t typically necessary for a mass-produced retail product. That’s pretty typical, similar to how on-field football jerseys are built for pads while retail ones may have more of a shirt-type cut with the same materials and embellishments. From on-ice to retail there’s not a drop-off in quality when it comes to materials, crests, and patches, unlike the Reebok Premier model.

 

The one thing to note is the numbering and lettering. The jerseys that come pre-lettered and numbered (typically the ones you buy online or from a sporting goods store like Dick’s) have printed single-layer numbers and letters. Many team shops letter and number their own jerseys, though, so that’s the place to go if you want to get the same two/three layer twill that your team may use on-ice. Either that or a custom shop.

 

As for the difference in imagery, some places will use the images supplied by adidas, others will take their own photos of the product, and the way it’s positioned will affect the way it looks, as you’re experiencing. There’s no way to control that.

 

You might see a little price variation from shop to shop. A significant price difference might indicate blank versus lettered (I think $180/$225 is the split on adidas.com for that). I’m not sure how team shops price their custom lettering services, nor do I know if ordering from the online team shop gets you a pre-lettered jersey or the custom-lettered version you can get at some brick-and-mortar team shops.

 

Hope that helps a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The retail Adidas "authentics" are essentially Reebok Premiers with a fight strap added. Compared to the on-ice versions, they're absolutely not worthwhile.

 

I'm holding out hope that things will change. I wasn't a collector at the time but I am told that the original Reebok Edges weren't available at retail at first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

The one thing to note is the numbering and lettering. The jerseys that come pre-lettered and numbered (typically the ones you buy online or from a sporting goods store like Dick’s) have printed single-layer numbers and letters. Many team shops letter and number their own jerseys, though, so that’s the place to go if you want to get the same two/three layer twill that your team may use on-ice. Either that or a custom shop.

 

You might see a little price variation from shop to shop. A significant price difference might indicate blank versus lettered (I think $180/$225 is the split on adidas.com for that). I’m not sure how team shops price their custom lettering services, nor do I know if ordering from the online team shop gets you a pre-lettered jersey or the custom-lettered version you can get at some brick-and-mortar team shops.

 

1) Yes, I knew that. I remember the first time I saw the pre-lettered Reeboks on the rack, and I was kind of taken aback. I've never bought a pre-lettered jersey because of it. I've always ordered custom over the counter in the team shop.

 

2) I've always noticed the difference, but idk, this one seemed more staggering than usual. It seemed pretty close during the Reebok years, but I never bothered to look at the price last season with Adidas because I just wasn't interested. (Same jersey I already own, but with a messed up collar and mesh shoulders? No thanks.) The Ducks Team Store is taking pre-orders for blank "authentics" at $240. The NHL Shop is taking pre-orders for blank "authentics" at $180. $60 mark-up is something special, I'll tell ya.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Still MIGHTY said:

 

1) Yes, I knew that. I remember the first time I saw the pre-lettered Reeboks on the rack, and I was kind of taken aback. I've never bought a pre-lettered jersey because of it. I've always ordered custom over the counter in the team shop.

 

2) I've always noticed the difference, but idk, this one seemed more staggering than usual. It seemed pretty close during the Reebok years, but I never bothered to look at the price last season with Adidas because I just wasn't interested. (Same jersey I already own, but with a messed up collar and mesh shoulders? No thanks.) The Ducks Team Store is taking pre-orders for blank "authentics" at $240. The NHL Shop is taking pre-orders for blank "authentics" at $180. $60 mark-up is something special, I'll tell ya.

 

Yeah, that’s pretty startling a price difference if it is, in fact, the same product.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Its basically a decision between Adidas and Fanatics. The version the Ducks online shop is selling is identical to the Adidas you can buy elsewhere. They are just charging more because they can. Ever go to a game? The jerseys at the team shop are always over priced

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Notice that every picture the Ducks have released of this jersey is Made in Indonesia, but does NOT have the notorious Adidot at the hem!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An ugly mess from my point of view. The shoulder yokes, numbers and black primary make this a flaming turd. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the picture resolution is good enough, a tell on real authentic vs retail authentic is the shoulder dimpling. The one ice Canadian made shoulders have a distinct lined pattern while the retail ones do not. The lines on the details don’t necessarily run straight with respect to the way they should when worn. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s the full set with equipment.

 

2hzqdkumixe11.jpg

 

Socks keep the Ducks flipped jersey striping trend, there’s a jade pant stripe, the gloves appear to be the same and notice the 25th anniversary logo on the helmet.

 

Looking at this, I really do wish there was more use of the eggplant on the jersey... or just a straight throwback. Though the jersey has grown on me and I don’t know if I want one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.