A Look at the Logo for Arena Bowl XXXI

A Look at the Logo for Arena Bowl XXXI

July 22, 2018 - 16:43 PM

The Arena Football League is still chugging along, with just four teams remaining the league is all set to hold the 31st edition of their championship game, the Arena Bowl this Saturday in Baltimore. Unlike that other pro football league’s […]

Read More...

The "bowl" (Arena, Super, etc.) is its own franchise, and just like an on-field franchise, should have its own logo and follow similar branding principles.  The NFL has accomplished this.  This Arena Bowl logo looks like an '80s Super Bowl logo.  Hardly strong branding.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I think each event can stand on its own and warrant its own logo . . . particularly in the case of the Super Bowl because it has become such a major event. Otherwise, it's like saying the Olympics or the FIFA World Cup should have the same logo each time. 

If either "Bowl" requires use of the same logo year after year, it's the Arena Bowl.  The game doesn't have a predetermined host, so there is no way to include local flair.  However, I have no problem with using a different logo each year.

To me, the best approach is to create unique logos with some type of unifying theme.  For the Olympics, it is the rings.  For the Super Bowl it can/should be the Vince Lombardi Trophy.  For the AFL, it needs to be the league logo.

As for this particular logo, I think it is generally well done.  That said, the "Arena Bowl" wordmark should be bigger, though not necessarily the same size as the XXXI.  Also, it would probably be helpful to outline the wordmark because red text tends to get lost against a blue background.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Archived