Elam Ending in basketball

4_tattoos

So I've been watching The Basketball Tournament's games this weekend, and was fascinated by a new(ish) rule they're using called the Elam Ending. Here's a quick explanation to how it works...

2018%20Elam%20Ending_Rectanglev7.jpg

https://www.thetournament.com/news/tbt-announces-elam-ending-be-used-all-tbt2018-games

The traditionalist in me doesn't really like new rules that drastically change sports. With that said, I wouldn't be against the Elam Ending becoming an alternative to overtime. Just make the OT target score 10 more points and call it a day.

What do you guys think? Could this rule ever make it's way into mainstream basketball (NBA, NCAA, FIBA)?

Hotter Than July > Thriller

1 hour ago, 4_tattoos said:

So I've been watching The Basketball Tournament's games this weekend, and was fascinated by a new(ish) rule they're using called the Elam Ending. Here's a quick explanation to how it works...

2018%20Elam%20Ending_Rectanglev7.jpg

https://www.thetournament.com/news/tbt-announces-elam-ending-be-used-all-tbt2018-games

The traditionalist in me doesn't really like new rules that drastically change sports. With that said, I wouldn't be against the Elam Ending becoming an alternative to overtime. Just make the OT target score 10 more points and call it a day.

What do you guys think? Could this rule ever make it's way into mainstream basketball (NBA, NCAA, FIBA)?

depends, if the team is ahead by 10 points with say 30 seconds, then yes i would be for that.  in all the ice hockey leagues i played it, the clock was stop clock but if a team was ahead by 3 goals, they kept the clock running (except for the playoff which was 7 goals).  

so long and thanks for all the fish.

Just watched a TBT game that was tied going into the Elam Ending. It was definitely tense as both teams kept it close to the end. Ended up with a 70-67 final score (target score was 69). This rule is at it's best when it's a close game. I see it's potential to make the end of games more exciting to watch.

I guess it allows for the trailing team to make a comeback without the clock being a factor if they can play great defense against the leading team, so technically you're not out of it even if you're down 40 with 4 mins left.

I like the idea of "first to x" OT in NFL and NBA.  NFL should be first to 4, and NBA should be first to... 11? with a win-by-two stipulation.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Basketball overtime is the worst of the big four (hockey* > baseball > football > basketball), so a first-to-x rule for overtime does intrigue me. What does Jason Elam have to do with it, though?

EDIT: *Yeah I just realized I was only thinking of pure sudden death in the Stanley Cup and not dumbass five-minute three-on-three with a shootout. Same goes for soccer, golden goal is great, penalty kicks are annoying.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, the admiral said:

What does Jason Elam have to do with it, though?

Jason could be a relative of the guy that came up with this idea. Small world you know lol

Basketball is the only sport in which a game that is close at the end is so tedious. As it is right now, the best basketball game to watch is one that is close for most of the game, but in which one team takes a big lead late in the fourth quarter.

So anything that gets us away from the foul / free throw hell that befalls a close game is worth a try.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

Call me an old fart, but this seems positively stupid.  

The game clock is a game clock for a reason.  Run out the four minutes and end it.  If a team has played well enough to be 25 points up with 4:00 left on the clock, this gives 44 minutes of dominant basketball the chance to be wiped out, extends a game to an indefinite length, and makes virtually every player record or statistic meaningless unless rendered on a points-per-minute basis.

If the ending of a basketball game takes too long, there are a number of far simpler solutions to consider:

1. You commit a foul in the final two minutes?  You leave the floor for the rest of regulation, without benefit of substitution.  No free throws to slow things down.  Make your team play 4-on-5 the rest of the game.
  2. You don't want a 5-minute overtime period?  Okay.  Do like the old CBA did with one tweak.  The CBA had a "lead by 3" overtime, which was to some extent sudden death.  I say go "lead by 5."  If teams can stay within 5, that's a game that can go on endlessly without losing its entertainment value.

nav-logo.png

Archived