stumpygremlin

New William & Mary Tribe logos

Seems they should just pull the trigger and be the William & Mary Griffins already.  The "Tribe" name with the feathers on the "WM" logo at least connected.  This is just disjointed.

The eagle-griffin thing is whatever, but that W&M emblem is capital.  I'd make love to it after a tasteful dinner and a bottle of expensive wine.

The griffin logo would look better without "Tribe" and more wing detail instead.

Kinda sad that the script "Tribe" is out - that's been on helmets for most years since the 80s.  I'm not sure the verticality of the W&M mark will make for a good helmet logo.

I like how they've kept the tradition of the mirrored W though to create the M. 

21 hours ago, stumpygremlin said:

The logo with the griffin looks to be the primary.

When I was a kid, this word was spelt "gryphon".  When did it change?

1 hour ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

best-of-internet-of-things-2015-10-02.gi

Wow, I'm from Virginia and my alma mater used to be conference mates with W&M, and all I can remember are the Tribe wordmark and the WM with a feather logo.  I never knew they had a griffin mascot.  Seems very weird to me.

8 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I think it's always been mixed, and it probably has to do with the Greek origins. When you're borrowing from a language that doesn't use the same alphabet, there's some artistic license involved; you see the same thing with Russian words (you, of all people, probably have experience with this).