Grey Facemasks For Everyone*

IceCap

I've posted this at least twice before, so I know I'm being annoying, but since a thread was created specifically to discuss this please allow me to say all this again.

These are my personal "rules" as to what circumstances I find a gray facemask to be acceptable.

1. Using a gray mask on the helmet is acceptable when the team has gray or silver as one of their main colors. 

2. Using a gray mask on the helmet is acceptable when the team is recreating a uniform from the past which used a gray mask.

3. Using a gray mask on the helmet is acceptable when the team is attempting to create a new look that is more classic, "hard-nosed" or basic/tougher.

4. Using a gray mask on the helmet is acceptable when the team plays football.

52 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I've posted this at least twice before, so I know I'm being annoying, but since a thread was created specifically to discuss this please allow me to say all this again.

These are my personal "rules" as to what circumstances I find a gray facemask to be acceptable.

1. Using a gray mask on the helmet is acceptable when the team has gray or silver as one of their main colors. 

2. Using a gray mask on the helmet is acceptable when the team is recreating a uniform from the past which used a gray mask.

3. Using a gray mask on the helmet is acceptable when the team is attempting to create a new look that is more classic, "hard-nosed" or basic/tougher.

4. Using a gray mask on the helmet is acceptable when the team plays football.

So everyone in the NFL except for the Browns?

The bottom line is a gray mask can work for any team and any helmet color, provided the rest of the uniform is designed accordingly to reflect that aesthetic.

A colored mask that’s the same color as the helmet shell is always appropriate, especially on dark helmets.

A colored mask that’s darker than the helmet shell very often works, especially on light helmets like white, silver, and gold, but occasionally presents trouble as the color of the helmet gets richer.

A colored mask that’s lighter than the helmet color is the danger zone, as it’s difficult to get right and easy to screw up.

7 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

The bottom line is a gray mask can work for any team and any helmet color, provided the rest of the uniform is designed accordingly to reflect that aesthetic.

A colored mask that’s the same color as the helmet shell is always appropriate, especially on dark helmets.

A colored mask that’s darker than the helmet shell very often works, especially on light helmets like white, silver, and gold, but occasionally presents trouble as the color of the helmet gets richer.

A colored mask that’s lighter than the helmet color is the danger zone, as it’s difficult to get right and easy to screw up.

I mostly agree with this. I'm not against colored masks, but the mask shouldn't be the focal point of the helmet. So I'd tweak your rule regarding colored masks that are darker than the helmet - that's OK as long as the color isn't so gaudy that it detracts from the rest of the helmet. For instance, I thought the 1996-08 49ers uniform violated this rule, as the red facemask was a distraction:

che110.jpg?w=620

Gray isn't a part of the 49ers identity, but I think it works better for the 49ers for that reason. Likewise, I think the Patriots' red facemask looks out of place; I much preferred their initial version of the Flying Elvis helmet with the gray facemask.

1 hour ago, whitedawg22 said:

I mostly agree with this. I'm not against colored masks, but the mask shouldn't be the focal point of the helmet. So I'd tweak your rule regarding colored masks that are darker than the helmet - that's OK as long as the color isn't so gaudy that it detracts from the rest of the helmet. For instance, I thought the 1996-08 49ers uniform violated this rule, as the red facemask was a distraction:

che110.jpg?w=620

Gray isn't a part of the 49ers identity, but I think it works better for the 49ers for that reason. Likewise, I think the Patriots' red facemask looks out of place; I much preferred their initial version of the Flying Elvis helmet with the gray facemask.

Oh yeah. What you’re saying is essentially what I mean. I think the 49ers red mask worked because there was so much red in the uniform to balance it. The Patriots’ red mask doesn’t work for me because the uniform is essentially blue, silver, and white, with just a hint of red as a trim color. Popping an element in a secondary color is not inherently bad, but like you said, the mask is too focal a place to do that.

What I generally don’t love, for example,  are black masks on red helmets, etc. that’s what I meant by “as the helmet gets richer.”

1 hour ago, whitedawg22 said:

che110.jpg?w=620

I’m with you on this 100%. I’ve always said the facemask shouldn’t be the first thing to catch your eyes. It’s why I always hated the lions with a black mask, the 49ers with red and the patriots too. The 49ers helmet only works with a gray facemask in my opinion. The only helmet where the facemask really kind of distracts on the helmet that I like is the Chiefs. I’m fine with them having white stick out. But that might just be because I don’t like red facemasks and would hate it if they had one. Like when USC has red, the gray looks way better.

15 minutes ago, Eszcz21 said:

I’m with you on this 100%. I’ve always said the facemask shouldn’t be the first thing to catch your eyes. It’s why I always hated the lions with a black mask, the 49ers with red and the patriots too. The 49ers helmet only works with a gray facemask in my opinion. The only helmet where the facemask really kind of distracts on the helmet that I like is the Chiefs. I’m fine with them having white stick out. But that might just be because I don’t like red facemasks and would hate it if they had one. Like when USC has red, the gray looks way better.

The USC example is a good one. I think USC's helmet works far better with a gray mask than a red one.

carsonpalmerusc.jpg?w=780&quality=65&str

610958.0.jpg

18 hours ago, SFGiants58 said:

I’m fine with grey face masks, as long as there is historical precedent for the team or if grey is in the color scheme.

What I’m not fine with are white facemasks on dark-colored helmets (current Rams, 1980s-‘90s Giants, and early ‘80s Vikings). It should never compete with the helmet logo for attention. Luckily, grey or shell-colored facemasks prevent this.

The current Rams and early Vikings looked better without white facemasks...but for some reason, the 80s-90s Giants helmet is one of my favorites. Nostalgia probably. 

18 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

If teams never introduced team colors to them, then I'd have no issue. But now they have, and they look much better and in place than grey.

I agree in most cases. I like grey masks for the Colts, Cowboys, Raiders, and Giants - though you could probably sell me on making the Cowboys' and Raiders' masks metallic like the helmets and changing the Giants' masks to white and the Colts' to white or blue. I could see it looking decent for the Steelers (unpopular opinion: they should use steel grey somewhere). But when a team utilizes bright colors a lot the grey just sticks out like a gangrenous thumb. The worst examples I can think of are the Dolphins and Rams in the '70s, and maybe the Redskins and Vikings to a lesser extent.

IMO facemask color should match the team's color scheme, even if it's just white. I dont care for the historical precedent argument because that stemmed from the equipment only being made in gray back in the day. If the Packers, Bears, and Steelers can update their facemask color, so can anyone else. 

I think it sticks out as badly as team's who don't have black wearing black cleats. Either wear white or one of your team's colors.  

It's 2018, you have almost infinite choice now. 

Id rank the Niners, Bills, Bucs, Colts, Cardinals, and Vikings as being the biggest offenders here. 

26 minutes ago, BrianLion said:

IMO facemask color should match the team's color scheme, even if it's just white. I dont care for the historical precedent argument because that stemmed from the equipment only being made in gray back in the day. If the Packers, Bears, and Steelers can update their facemask color, so can anyone else. 

I think it sticks out as badly as team's who don't have black wearing black cleats. Either wear white or one of your team's colors.  

It's 2018, you have almost infinite choice now. 

Id rank the Niners, Bills, Bucs, Colts, Cardinals, and Vikings as being the biggest offenders here. 

If you wanna get super technical here, and this may be a stretch, but the bucs use that chrome mask and match it up with silver/chrome in the logo on the helmet now and the road crew reflecting numbers. I agree though with your list and reasoning. The Vikings are just as bad as the gray offenders and no, I don’t count them as a black team cause their logo has black highlights.

I just see no reason for the gray facemasks at all but will let it pass if you are doing a throwback. The Raiders in my opinion would look great in a black mask much better then in they gray. The cowboys would look great in navy if they would simplify their color scheme. I do like contrasting helmet & facemask colors like the Redskins most of the time if it is a team color.

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

These are, by far, the worst color choices for facemasks currently in the NFL (IMO)...

110515-NFL-Redskins-Patriots-Jackson-But

I'd go burgundy and navy, respectively, as a first choice, but I'd take gray for both in a nanosecond over this mess.

Pats had it right in the first year of that rebrand 

drew-bledsoe.jpg

though I wouldnt have minded a navy look either. 

I've never had an issue with the Redskins though? Think there's quite enough yellow in the helmet to offset the mask. 

On 7/25/2018 at 8:48 PM, hormone said:

It’s an eyesore seeing gray stick out like on the 49ers. 

On 7/25/2018 at 10:14 PM, OnWis97 said:

I’d actually argue that gray can stick out just as much.  The Bills and Colts are two examples.

I disagree. Grey is the one colour that, beyond a shadow of a doubt, doesn’t stick out. 

I look at the Browns’ helmet with a white mask vs one with a grey mask (I’m old enough to have vivid memories of both in action). 

The white mask was way more prominent than the grey, despite grey not appearing anywhere else in the uniform. 

Same with the 49ers. The old red mask stood out way more than the subdued grey mask currently does. And I could go on. 

To me grey masks, with very few exceptions, just work so well because they specifically don’t draw attention to themselves.

On 7/25/2018 at 8:48 PM, hormone said:

Don’t give me the “classic “ argument unless you’d give it a pass to wear a brown, leather helmet. 

That’s ridiculous. I can prefer classic designs for hockey uniforms without wanting teams to go back to wool sweaters. 

22 hours ago, OnWis97 said:

Why is there an asterisk in the thread title?

*OK, grey facemasks for some; miniature American flags for others?

While I feel a majority of teams would look their best with grey masks? I’m of the opinion that other neutral colours like white and black can also work in certain situations. 

The black Vikings mask, for example, looks great for many of the same reasons I like grey masks on the Browns and 49ers.