Grey Facemasks For Everyone*

IceCap

Alright, I'm in. 

Buffalo: blue

Miami: aqua

New England: red 

Jets: green

Dallas: grey (THIS HELMET IS UNTOUCHABLE)

NY Giants: grey

Philly: black

Washington: gold

Baltimore: black

Cincinnati: black

Cleveland: white

Pittsburgh: black

Chicago: navy

Detroit: Honolulu blue

Green Bay: green

Minnesota: black (was against it at first, now I kinda think it fits)

Houston: steel blue

Indy: blue

Jacksonville: black

Tennessee: navy

Atlanta: black

Carolina: black 

New Orleans: black

Tampa Bay: pewter

Denver: navy

Kansas City: white

Chargers: navy

Raiders: grey (ALSO UNTOUCHABLE)

Arizona: red

Rams: navy 

49ers: red

Seahawks: navy

Most throwbacks should be grey.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, Tygers09 said:

Since when does the facemask HAVE to match? What are we, a bunch of Tim Gunn's?

I mean, it doesn't HAVE to. Nothing HAS to match. Every team is perfectly within their right to wear completely jarring mismatched uniforms. The discussion is about what looks best, and imo wearing a grey facemask when you don't have grey in your colour scheme looks bad. I understand the 'vintage' argument, but to me when a team like the 49ers wears a grey facemask its no different than a team like the Giants wearing a green facemask or a team like the Steelers wearing a red facemask. Its jarring with the rest of the visual identity.

We had 91 responses on the survey I created. You can see the full results at this link: http://uwfsportsaesthetics.blogspot.com/2018/07/best-nfl-facemask-color-by-team.html  

Bills - Blue 
Dolphins - Aqua 
Patriots - Red
Jets - Green

Ravens - Black 
Bengals - Black 
Browns - Brown 
Steelers - Black

Texans - Navy 
Colts - Blue 
Jaguars - Black 
Titans - Columbia Blue

Broncos - Navy 
Chiefs - White 
Chargers - Navy
Raiders - Gray

Cowboys - Gray 
Giants - Gray 
Eagles - Black 
Redskins - Gold

Bears - Navy 
Lions - Hawaiian Blue 
Packers - Green 
Vikings - Purple

Falcons - Black 
Panthers - Black 
Saints - Black 
Buccaneers - Pewter

Cardinals - Red
Rams - White 
49ers - Red
Seahawks - Navy

spacer.png

I would like to hear people’s argument for the Patriots wearing a red facemask versus a gray facemask with their current helmet. I’m primarily anti-gray facemask, but with the Patriots helmet, I think it’s less jarring and it’s within their current color scheme, as seen below when they did just that in the 1993 season. 

s-l300.jpg

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

2 hours ago, Chawls said:

I would like to hear people’s argument for the Patriots wearing a red facemask versus a gray facemask with their current helmet. I’m primarily anti-gray facemask, but with the Patriots helmet, I think it’s less jarring and it’s within their current color scheme, as seen below when they did just that in the 1993 season. 

s-l300.jpg

Having no stripes, it needs a colored face mask just to keep from looking so dull, especially when looking straight forward

IVE already made my argument in favor of red, but that picture of it with gray makes the point better than my words can. So much better with red. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

12 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Which is why the mask should be navy. I'm not sure why there was ever any other choice.

I agree, but I’ll bet the reason they chose red was because it was their primary color for essentially their whole history, so they figured that was a good way to keep red involved and sticking out.

18 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Which is why the mask should be navy. I'm not sure why there was ever any other choice.

Probably because red isn’t really used anywhere else in the uniform other than some piping. So they use the red face mask to add balance the colors some.

13 minutes ago, dont care said:

Probably because red isn’t really used anywhere else in the uniform other than some piping. So they use the red face mask to add balance the colors some.

The problem with that is it’s not great color theory if you have a clear hierarchy (from the logo to the uniform to the stadium to merchandise, the Patriots are clearly a “blue and silver with a splash of red” team). In that case, using a tertiary color on a dominant focal element doesn’t add balance; it disrupts the balance. Balance in a color scheme doesn’t necessarily mean equal amounts of each color. It’s assigning each color a role and and properly applying them across whatever it is you’re designing.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

Archived