College athletics identity changes

Burkell007

I wasn't around when Pittsburgh used brighter colors so this feels a little weird to me. Still, this was the right move. The number font looks tremendously better than before, and that secondary logo is solid.

I still wish they would tweak the primary logo a bit; I don't like how unbalanced it feels... Is it suppose to look like someone wrote it with a paintbrush? Plus, the i not having a dot bothers me.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, panthers_2012 said:

Maybe it's suppose to represent this?

Yes, that is what it is based on. Chris's article mentioned it and I posted this in the College Football Uniforms - 2019 thread.

The new number font and striping pattern pays tribute to Pittsburgh’s Cathedral of Learning, a historic landmark and centerpiece of the university, while the new secondary logo is based on the fountain at the entrance of the building.

spacer.png

• Like 1

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

9 hours ago, Sykotyk said:

Their stadium features bright yellow seats. I think that's the reason for the bright yellow. 

Setting aside the whole "that's the Steelers' stadium" thing, I think a better reason for the bright yellow is that it's one of Nike's stock yellow colors.

Don't discount this...Nike and other manufacturers would rather either get all it's teams with similar comes onto their own, sometimes proprietary, stock swatches (this happened with Florida State's garnet, going from it's more unique reddish to one of Nike's stock "dark red" swatches), or at any rate, produce as few color swatches as possible (which I'm sure the whole Seattle Seahawks fiasco under Reebok's watch had something to do with). It just makes good business sense on the supplier's end...even though it may rob us viewers of some of the more unique shades--such as Pitt's former mustard yellow. (I do however love the shade of blue they paired with it, so that to me makes up for it--plus yellow has always been my favorite anyway, so I'm good with it. 😁)

Speaking of Pitt...I wanna see what the rest of this Cathedral-of-Learning-inspired number set looks like. Oughtta be interesting. But here's what's not interesting...

7f259e6a-c5a0-484b-8fdb-7e0c336a7ff4.png

What up with that placket piping tho?? I'm sure that's probably a casualty of Nike's baseball template...but why do they continue to do things like this??? It gets irritating...)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

4 minutes ago, Buc said:

Setting aside the whole "that's the Steelers' stadium" thing, I think a better reason for the bright yellow is that it's one of Nike's stock yellow colors.

Don't discount this...Nike and other manufacturers would rather either get all it's teams with similar comes onto their own, sometimes proprietary, stock swatches (this happened with Florida State's garnet, going from it's more unique reddish to one of Nike's stock "dark red" swatches), or at any rate, produce as few color swatches as possible (which I'm sure the whole Seattle Seahawks fiasco under Reebok's watch had something to do with). It just makes good business sense on the supplier's end...even though it may rob us viewers of some of the more unique shades--such as Pitt's former mustard yellow. (I do however love the shade of blue they paired with it, so that to me makes up for it--plus yellow has always been my favorite anyway, so I'm good with it. 😁)

Speaking of Pitt...I wanna see what the rest of this Cathedral-of-Learning-inspired number set looks like. Oughtta be interesting. But here's what's not interesting...

7f259e6a-c5a0-484b-8fdb-7e0c336a7ff4.png

What up with that placket piping tho?? I'm sure that's probably a casualty of Nike's baseball template...but why do they continue to do things like this??? It gets irritating...)

Holy moly!  That's the baseball version of cutting off armhole trim on the NBA template for no discernible reason!

What if they do this nonsense with the MLB uniforms once they take over that in 2020?

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

I'm usually a stickler for consistency of design elements across all of a university's sports, but I love the idea of having a crest design for use on the school's soccer kits (I only noticed this as part of the photo set from this unveiling, but it looks like it was unveiled last summer):

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Dolphins Dynasty said:

I wasn't around when Pittsburgh used brighter colors so this feels a little weird to me. Still, this was the right move. The number font looks tremendously better than before, and that secondary logo is solid.

I still wish they would tweak the primary logo a bit; I don't like how unbalanced it feels... Is it suppose to look like someone wrote it with a paintbrush? Plus, the i not having a dot bothers me.

Those "paintbrush" script helmet logos were kind of the thing in the 70s and 80s.  I think half the Pac-8 schools had them at one point.

14 minutes ago, NicDB said:

Those "paintbrush" script helmet logos were kind of the thing in the 70s and 80s.  I think half the Pac-8 schools had them at one point.

This right here also illustrates the mindsets of far too many in the western PA region, which I have no doubt also largely contributed to the push to return to this paintbrush Pitt script. (They also don't like to acknowledge the times when their teams weren't winning championships out the wazoo, but we won't go there. 😀)

Still though, super solid update all around.

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Seems like Syracuse might be going back to one of their old logos:

Still on their site as of now: https://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pw/collegiate/80o?vst=college&redirect=true&ipp=120

If it's real, I think it's a downgrade. I like their current identity and system, and this is one of the weaker and more generic ones in their history.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2019 at 4:44 PM, Waffles said:

Seems like Syracuse might be going back to one of their old logos:

Still on their site as of now: https://store.nike.com/us/en_us/pw/collegiate/80o?vst=college&redirect=true&ipp=120

If it's real, I think it's a downgrade. I like their current identity and system, and this is one of the weaker and more generic ones in their history.

The Virginia V is a throwback/alternate logo as well. 

And I just clicked on the link, and both Syracuse and Virginia logos have been updated to the modern versions.

That Nike header is a mess though. Starting with the Purdue logo, none of the links correlate with the teams. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

Apparently the Evansville Purple Aces just announced a rebranding. I hadn't seen anything leading up to this on MVC twitter, unlike the Saluki logo change.

EDIT: Based on twitter and the Evansville website, it appears the purple and white UE is the new university academic logo. The UE with the bevel and orange outline is the new athletics primary logo, with the Ace gambler being the mascot secondary logo and the script Aces serving as a secondary athletics wordmark.

• Like 3

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

1 hour ago, B-Rich said:

New look for Mizzou football:

Watch: Missouri officially reveals new design for football helmets

spacer.png

spacer.png

Lame.   Copying Clemson?

That helmet is for the spring game only.

Though it is awesome. The M-Paw logo has been around for a while. Better helmet logo than the oval. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, Maroon said:

Apparently the Evansville Purple Aces just announced a rebranding. I hadn't seen anything leading up to this on MVC twitter, unlike the Saluki logo change.

EDIT: Based on twitter and the Evansville website, it appears the purple and white UE is the new university academic logo. The UE with the bevel and orange outline is the new athletics primary logo, with the Ace gambler being the mascot secondary logo and the script Aces serving as a secondary athletics wordmark.

Kinda surprised they went with a white male character.