College athletics identity changes

Burkell007

Saint Peter’s Peacocks Unveil New Athletic Branding

August 29, 2020 - 21:16 PM

As part of a department-wide rebranding around one of the nation’s most unique mascots, the Saint Peter’s Peacocks recently unveiled a new primary logo, typeface and spirit marks.  “This is an exciting day for our student-athletes, coaches, staff, alumni and fans,” athletic director Rachelle Paul said in a statement. “Together,

Read More...

Overall, this is a good update. The new primary mark is miles better than the previous. However, I'm not terribly crazy about the full-body peacock. It looks like it has a cookie on it's back, not feathers. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

It's been a long time coming, and not really a secret, but they are finally bringing back "Pride Gold" to the football and basketball uniforms!

Untitled_1.jpg?width=1440&quality=80&for

https://govandals.com/news/2020/11/18/vandals-share-new-looks-in-football-basketball.aspx

Here is their "New" branding as well: https://www.uidaho.edu/-/media/UIdaho-Responsive/Files/brand-resource-center/support-services-ucm/trademark-licensing/university-of-idaho-artwork-update.pdf

ACtC-3ccJHy9tqCdQk2J0JDai-o673ZBEAKA77N8ACtC-3cVmT0IHQqh5tRUzTB1MpcjVneqdl4CAexOACtC-3cFEXv6DgY8IwHbxieRF9mcbH2ousq7pkVfACtC-3cGiiCWR6aTJd7Njswchy2UfebsISMOKNMh

• Like 3

I like this... but now they come even closer to matching the other black and gold “I” school in Iowa. 

I think the major shift away from metallic gold is a little misguided, although the wordmark is excellent and yellow-gold is still overall underused in sports. I like the gray accents as well because they are another “silver and gold” school similar to Colorado.

It’s also still sad to see them in the Big Sky. It makes no sense... the athletic dept. lost a ton of funding and they aren’t anywhere close to being an FCS juggernaut like NDSU.

• Like 2

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

15 minutes ago, TenaciousG said:

It’s also still sad to see them in the Big Sky. It makes no sense... the athletic dept. lost a ton of funding and they aren’t anywhere close to being an FCS juggernaut like NDSU.

They had little to no choice, so there is that.

I'm of two minds when it comes to athletic gold vs. old gold. Both can be great, but athletic gold can work with white in a way that old gold can not.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2020 at 12:07 AM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Idaho's branding is way too safe for their name. Should be an aggressive or punk look.

Um... I think you’re thinking of the wrong kind of Vandals

• Like 3

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

On 7/17/2020 at 5:47 PM, sportsfan7 said:

Not really sure if this belongs here, but I don't know where else it would.

Would the NCAA consider enacting an anti-Confederacy themed nickname policy, similar to the one involving Native themed nicknames? As far as I can tell it would only effect a few schools;

Washington & Lee Generals - named for General Washington, but also General Lee (This ones kinda iffy)

Ole Miss Rebels

UNLV Rebels

Millsaps Majors - in honor of Confederate Major Reuben Millsaps

The ruling could also be expanded to school names, which would knock out a few more.

UNLV has had controversy over their Rebel branding for decades.

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2015/nov/17/unlv-students-jessup-hey-reb-mascot-symbol-racism/

UCLA Bruins To Be Outfitted By Jordan Brand, Nike

December 8, 2020 - 18:07 PM

The UCLA athletic department on Tuesday announced a partnership with Nike that will make Jordan Brand the official outfitter of the football and men’s and women’s basketball programs beginning on July 1, 2021. The Bruins’ other varsity spots will feature the Nike Swoosh, meanwhile. “Our student-athletes deserve every resource in

Read More...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

The shoulder stripes which have looked great recently, will now suck.  Nike does such a crap job on those shoulder stripes.

LSU Football Schedule 2020

If UCLA insists on this, they can make it happen. The Vapor Fusion has a side seam that can help support the UCLA stripes.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Fq7trl2

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png