College athletics identity changes

Burkell007

On 4/23/2019 at 3:45 AM, Earl said:

Not D1 but in D3's USA South Athletic Conference, Greensboro College Pride of Greensboro, NC rebranded last week.  I'm a fan of how the placement of the lions, Leo & Leona, were changed to be presented as equals.  Lure Design of Orlando, FL assisted with the design.  There is a new Lions over GC logo too.  If you're not familiar with Greensboro College, it's a liberal arts college with 1000-1300 students sandwiched between UNC Greensboro & North Carolina A&T.  Article

Old
spacer.png

New
spacer.png     spacer.png

I'd have rather see two equally crafted logos (one male, one female) and use a single head for whichever sport it matched. Unless this is intended for co-ed teams that have both males and females on them.  

• Like 1

On 4/22/2019 at 9:45 PM, Earl said:

Not D1 but in D3's USA South Athletic Conference, Greensboro College Pride of Greensboro, NC rebranded last week.  I'm a fan of how the placement of the lions, Leo & Leona, were changed to be presented as equals.  Lure Design of Orlando, FL assisted with the design.  There is a new Lions over GC logo too.  If you're not familiar with Greensboro College, it's a liberal arts college with 1000-1300 students sandwiched between UNC Greensboro & North Carolina A&T.  Article

Old
spacer.png

New
spacer.png     spacer.png

I somehow missed this. I could throw a baseball from my front porch and have it land on GC's campus.

The wordmark looks great. As others have said, I think the lions themselves are missing something. I think that "something" may be eyeballs - there's an emptiness to them. The whiskers and nose look a little "off" too. It's an upgrade from what they had, though.

Semi-related: I can't seem to find when GC changed their nickname from the "Hornets" to the "Pride." It was sometime in the 1990s, probably due to confusion with the Single-A Greensboro Hornets of the South Atlantic League, who went by that name from 1979-1993. I even work with the guy who was in sports information there in the late '90s and he doesn't know. It seems like such an easy, recent thing to find out - but with D3 statistics and record keeping being what they are, I haven't been able to.

• Like 3

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

2 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

I somehow missed this. I could throw a baseball from my front porch and have it land on GC's campus.

The wordmark looks great. As others have said, I think the lions themselves are missing something. I think that "something" may be eyeballs - there's an emptiness to them. The whiskers and nose look a little "off" too. It's an upgrade from what they had, though.

Semi-related: I can't seem to find when GC changed their nickname from the "Hornets" to the "Pride." It was sometime in the 1990s, probably due to confusion with the Single-A Greensboro Hornets of the South Atlantic League, who went by that name from 1979-2003. I even work with the guy who was in sports information there in the late '90s and he doesn't know. It seems like such an easy, recent thing to find out - but with D3 statistics and record keeping being what they are, I haven't been able to.

Thank you! I really like the logo as well but I also thought something was off. It's the eyes. I don't know if they need eyeballs or what would make it better necessarily, but they don't really look like yes to me. Maybe they're slightly misplaced or too small?

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

9 hours ago, sc49erfan15 said:

Semi-related: I can't seem to find when GC changed their nickname from the "Hornets" to the "Pride." It was sometime in the 1990s, probably due to confusion with the Single-A Greensboro Hornets of the South Atlantic League, who went by that name from 1979-2003. I even work with the guy who was in sports information there in the late '90s and he doesn't know. It seems like such an easy, recent thing to find out - but with D3 statistics and record keeping being what they are, I haven't been able to.

Mention it and you shall receive:
spacer.png
Source:  Greensboro College - Celebration Timeline, Page 5

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Earl said:

Mention it and you shall receive:
spacer.png
Source:  Greensboro College - Celebration Timeline, Page 5

Nice job!

Now it's odd that, assuming moving from Hornets had something to do with the minor league team, both teams changed their names within a 2 year period. The Greensboro Hornets became the Greensboro Bats after the 1993 season, not 2003 as I said in my original post.

1 hour ago, sc49erfan15 said:

Now it's odd that, assuming moving from Hornets had something to do with the minor league team, both teams changed their names within a 2 year period. The Greensboro Hornets became the Greensboro Bats after the 1993 season, not 2003 as I said in my original post.

Since you haven't mention it yet, don't forget about the Charlotte Hornets just 90 miles away originally from 1988 to 2002.  More people are going to familiarize with a new NBA team than a D3 school.  I've also found that Shenandoah U. Hornets joined the same conference as Greensboro's in 1992 (then known as the Dixie Conference).  Lynchburg College of Virginia is another nearby former conference member with the same nickname.  So with all these teams as the Hornets at the same time, I can see why Greensboro changed their name if it wasn't due some negative reason.

12 minutes ago, Earl said:

Since you haven't mention it yet, don't forget about the Charlotte Hornets just 90 miles away originally from 1988 to 2002.  More people are going to familiarize with a new NBA team than a D3 school.  I've also found that Shenandoah U. Hornets joined the same conference as Greensboro's in 1992 (then known as the Dixie Conference).  Lynchburg College of Virginia is another nearby former conference member with the same nickname.  So with all these teams as the Hornets at the same time, I can see why Greensboro changed their name if it wasn't due some negative reason.

Yeah, there was a lawsuit in the late '80s-early '90s regarding the use of the name "Hornets." IIRC, George Shinn sued the baseball team for the exclusive rights to "Hornets," despite the baseball team using the name nearly a decade before the Charlotte Hornets took the floor. He lost. I'm not sure if the Greensboro College Hornets were part of that lawsuit at all. Here's an article (scroll to the bottom) that seems to suggest they weren't.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Dakota State Unveils New Academic, Athletic Branding

May 3, 2019 - 19:45 PM

When Dr. Jose-Marie Griffith became the president of Dakota State University in 2015, she formed a leadership committed with the goal of uniting the university under a single brand. And following several years of research, the Trojans unveiled brand new […]

Read More...

On 4/24/2019 at 1:24 PM, sc49erfan15 said:

The whiskers and nose look a little "off" too. It's an upgrade from what they had, though.

yes...now that you mention it, the whiskers are backwards...should taper the other way...

jldesigns404eo.png

I like the athletics logo but the academics looks far too much like the Democratic party logo.spacer.png

• Like 1

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

34 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

The diagonal letters look like a direct ripoff of UCF. 

UCF didn’t invent the diagonal letters gig, its free range, UK and Houston aren’t rip offs of each other, it’s a common style just like this. 

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

For comparison for JCU:

Old

spacer.png

New

spacer.png

The more I look at it, the more I dislike it. Two blues and no streak. John Carroll missed the mark on this. The logo needed an update, but they should've kept the streak in. Just having the JCU brand is bad.

And as a BW Alum, I have to add AWWWJACKETS. 

• Like 1

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

John Carroll Introduces New Athletic Branding

May 4, 2019 - 15:41 PM

As it prepares to celebrate 100 years of its participation in intercollegiate athletics, John Carroll University on Friday unveiled a brand new logo, color pallette and wordmark. The collaborative process took more than a year, and involved input from athletes, […]

Read More...