College athletics identity changes

Burkell007

14 hours ago, panthers_2012 said:

For comparison for JCU:

Old

spacer.png

New

spacer.png

The more I look at it, the more I dislike it. Two blues and no streak. John Carroll missed the mark on this. The logo needed an update, but they should've kept the streak in. Just having the JCU brand is bad.

And as a BW Alum, I have to add AWWWJACKETS. 

And as a Muskingum alum, I have to add GO MUSKIES. 

Gotta agree on the JCU update. The old one wasn't great by any means, but could've easily been refreshed like this: (shameless plug)

bdqovjC.jpg

• Like 3

@loganaweaver - Twitter / @loganaweaver - Instagram / Nike Vapor Untouchable Football Template  / Logan's Logos

Southern Illinois Introduces New, Streamlined Logo

May 12, 2019 - 20:35 PM

Southern Illinois University unveiled a new logo earlier this year that gives the Saluki a more streamlined appearance than its dated predecessor. “The Saluki is unique throughout collegiate athletics,” athletic director Jerry Kill said. “Our goal with the new logo […]

Read More...

This is an incredible example of what happens when a client takes the time to realize that it needs to separate from a terrible studio and go to a great one. Torch did an excellent job here, reminds me a lot of the Washington Huskies.

Meanwhile, can someone explain what the hell happened to Phoenix Design Works? I seem to remember that had some pretty decent stuff back in the day, but now their portfolio is just littered with some garbage. The old SIU logo isn't even close to the worst they showcase.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

10 minutes ago, Lafarge said:

This is an incredible example of what happens when a client takes the time to realize that it needs to separate from a terrible studio and go to a great one. Torch did an excellent job here, reminds me a lot of the Washington Huskies.

Meanwhile, can someone explain what the hell happened to Phoenix Design Works? I seem to remember that had some pretty decent stuff back in the day, but now their portfolio is just littered with some garbage. The old SIU logo isn't even close to the worst they showcase.

I agree they had a few decent successes, but by-and-large their stuff was the lowest level of top-tier work, and some was well below that.. I think it benefitted from being able to hide behind various trends and fads of the era during their heyday (shaded/beveled/italicized wordmarks, for example).. 

• Like 1

My school (Concordia University-Wisconsin) is releasing a new set of logos today.

J3JPuC6.jpg?1 

CUW_logo_unveil_051319_st.jpg?max_width=

Sorry for the bad image quality, I couldn't find any copies of the letter insignia online. The logos were created through BVK, a Milwaukee-based marketing agency.

For reference, here's what we were sporting before the change

photo-62.jpg

Obviously, the Falcon logo is a tremendous upgrade, but I think I like the old letter mark better. Overall, I'm very happy with the change and will be looking to score a t-shirt or hat with the new falcon ASAP. Besides the logo changes, the school is also dropping any orange from its athletic brands, which is good because only about half the sports used it anyway. For the full press release go to https://www.cuwfalcons.com/athletics/generalreleases/2018-19/CUW_Athletics_unveils_new_logos_051319

And the style guide can be found here https://www.cuwfalcons.com/athletics/logos/2019/CUW_Athletics_Brand_Identity_Guide_040319.pdf

• Like 2

The wordmark is an upgrade, though I'm not sure why the U is smaller than the other letters. The D logo is a downgrade, in part because it almost doesn't read as a D (particularly in isolation) and in part because an Old English D makes sense for a team named the Dukes.

• Like 3

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

1 hour ago, leopard88 said:

The wordmark is an upgrade, though I'm not sure why the U is smaller than the other letters. The D logo is a downgrade, in part because it almost doesn't read as a D (particularly in isolation) and in part because an Old English D makes sense for a team named the Dukes.

The smaller U is supposed to be a visual cue to how to pronounce Duquesne. Honestly, though, more of a cue is needed on how to pronounce the end of the word instead of the beginning. I don't hate it. The press release all says the D(u)Q arc is a nod to Pittsburgh bridges. I kinda get that.

I love the idea of a modern blackletter D. Joe Bosack just released an identity for Wheaton Academy that has a modern athletic take on blackletter. Wheaton's identity is more successful than Duquesne, though, because the D isn't instantly legible like others have said.

I also like the dual tone lighting Duquesne in their photographic style. That's always a cool effect.

I don't like the new bright blue. It does make the school more unique among the dozens of red and blue teams out there, but I'm not sure this was the way to go.

5 hours ago, Earl said:

Duquesne Duke (Atlantic 10 of Division I) has gone Modern Gothic & added Electric Blue.  Instead of typing out a couple sentences I'm going to link some sources because there's a lot to this:  Article Spark Brand Guide

OLD
spacer.png
NEW
spacer.png           spacer.png           spacer.png     spacer.png     spacer.png     spacer.png

Type is ok, the rest looks like an amateur concept for an energy drink.

• Like 1