College athletics identity changes

Burkell007

2 hours ago, stumpygremlin said:

I'd say that that wasn't worth the refresh. It's not different enough to warrant the changes, IMO.

spacer.png

I think it's a good modernization and Rickabaugh created a more complete and unified package than what they had.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, jefrsn said:

spacer.png

I think it's a good modernization and Rickabaugh created a more complete and unified package than what they had.

I agree. I wish more schools would go this route of just modernizing their existing look if the previous one was poorly done, as it was here. The inconsistent line widths and awkward highlights of the old were in desperate need of an update. You don’t always need to redefine your identity, you just need someone with actual artistic skill to execute the design. The unique colors also really jump out.

• Like 4

Big East Conference Unveils 40th Anniversary Logo

May 29, 2019 - 18:47 PM

To celebrate the 40th anniversary of the conference’s founding, the Big East unveiled a new commemorative logo on Wednesday morning.  The Big East was founded on May 29, 1979, when then-Providence head coach Dave Gavitt spearheaded an effort to create […]

Read More...

On 5/31/2019 at 2:34 PM, LMU said:

I'm actually intrigued by this because the new WCC logo of the West Coast Conference is at each free throw line.  Back in March, on page 9, the WCC released their new logo that doesn't have warm reviews by us.  Every day since I've visited their website via bookmark waiting for the website to get updated.  But it has never happened.  I figured at this point the conference dropped it like it until you shared this picture.  Maybe into the new school year this July or August everything will get switched over to the new brand.  https://wccsports.com/ for proof.

2 hours ago, Earl said:

I'm actually intrigued by this because the new WCC logo of the West Coast Conference is at each free throw line.  Back in March, on page 9, the WCC released their new logo that doesn't have warm reviews by us.  Every day since I've visited their website via bookmark waiting for the website to get updated.  But it has never happened.  I figured at this point the conference dropped it like it until you shared this picture.  Maybe into the new school year this July or August everything will get switched over to the new brand.  https://wccsports.com/ for proof.

The changes usually are official for the academic year. LMU changed its identity effective March 1 but the team uniforms, court, etc. will kick in with the start of fall sports.

VmWIn6B.png

23 hours ago, _RH_ said:

~2,800 students.  14 logos.  

It may even be more than that since often times there are sport-specific word marks. With “small” schools, it’s better to have foresight and go overboard as a designer with different arrangements than to have a coach/marketing team go rogue later on and rearrange things themselves.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, jaha32 said:

It may even be more than that since often times there are sport-specific word marks. With “small” schools, it’s better to have foresight and go overboard as a designer with different arrangements than to have a coach/marketing team go rogue later on and rearrange things themselves.

Amen.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jaha32 said:

Probably applies to all schools, not just the small ones, because even big schools may skimp and have someone in the athletic department take a stab at the added variants. 

• Like 2

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

On 6/2/2019 at 9:55 PM, jaha32 said:

Someone should have told Minnesota that. 

• Like 3

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

18 minutes ago, stumpygremlin said:

Image result for Mitchell Mariners

Pretty huge upgrade

This is the more recent brand.  Still a big upgrade.  Mitchell has been one of those schools that basically had zero identity.  It's cool to see Skye Design work with Mitchell & New England College of the same conference around the same time.  I hope all this really pays off for both.
spacer.png

• Like 1