College athletics identity changes

Burkell007

8 hours ago, Earl said:

UNC Greensboro unveils brand new Spartan:  http://www.uncgspartans.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=32200&ATCLID=211767250

NEW
OFAYMTOFGVVWATP.20180806215627.jpgUPLPSDLKSYLJXCB.20180807121112.jpg

This is slightly different from what I saw, and I don't dislike this as much as I disliked what I saw. The blue is darker and the head is different.

The rumor was that the old Spartan head was disliked by many because it was male. UNCG was all-female until the 1970s and still has a strong female majority. It doesn't surprise me whatsoever that this Spartan head is more gender-neutral.

BigStuffChamps3_zps00980734.png

9 hours ago, Earl said:

UNC Greensboro unveils brand new Spartan:  http://www.uncgspartans.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=32200&ATCLID=211767250

OLD
2000px-UNC_Greensboro_Spartans_logo.svg.2430.png

NEW
OFAYMTOFGVVWATP.20180806215627.jpgUPLPSDLKSYLJXCB.20180807121112.jpg

I like it, but I feel somethings a little off. The more I look at it, I think it’s the grey. If they turned the spartan’s skin color plain white, I think it would improve the look. Either that or add the feet elsewhere in the logo. The grey sticks out like a sore thumb 

21 hours ago, agentrygraphics said:

Just noticing the Purdue Fort Wayne logo...

Purdue-Fort-Wayne.jpg

According to P-FW...this logo continually came out as the top choice among focus groups. That Blue looks....really forced...with it just being a single stroke on the Mastadon. Not really digging the way the shade works with the Purdue black & gold. *cringe*

I know Fort Wayne is exclusively part of the Purdue system now, but how does the blue even fit in?

Also, I hate hyphenated names. Its been 50 years since most teachers colleges were joined to a flagship school by state sponsored shotgun weddings. Can't they stand on their own names by now?

1 hour ago, NicDB said:

I know Fort Wayne is exclusively part of the Purdue system now, but how does the blue even fit in?

Also, I hate hyphenated names. Its been 50 years since most teachers colleges were joined to a flagship school by state sponsored shotgun weddings. Can't they stand on their own names by now?

Most can't, thus we see Ohio State-Newark and Kent State-Tuscarawas. The community needs the help from the main campuses to support those schools.

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 8/7/2018 at 6:52 PM, SJAnfield said:

I like it, but I feel somethings a little off. The more I look at it, I think it’s the grey. If they turned the spartan’s skin color plain white, I think it would improve the look. Either that or add the feet elsewhere in the logo. The grey sticks out like a sore thumb 

I'm going to be really nitpicky here about the UNCG logo but there are two things that bother me about this.

1) I agree with you on the gray. The logo is predominantly blue and yellow but there's this large gray area smack dab in the center of the logo so your eye is drawn to the gray first. Another reason the gray seems off to me is that it makes the spartan look shirtless. There is no separation between the neck which is skin and the shoulder which has clothing/armor shadows. If there's so much detail in the highlighting in the yellow, then why so little detail in the gray skin/cloth?

2) There's a disconnect between the helmet on the top and the lettering on the bottom. Part of it's composition and part of it's because the line width of the blue on the helmet is about 1/3 the width of the blue around the letter so they aren't stylized similarly.

It probably sounds like I dislike this, but all in all, I really like the logo -  mainly the helmet, the yellow highlights, and the pattern under the plume. My guess is that they felt the need to tack on the shoulder to it to avoid confusion with Michigan State or especially San Jose State, and as a result, it looks like different elements were designed at different times.

• Like 1

Last October Ole Miss announced they would be replacing the Rebels mascot with a new Landsharks mascot (nickname is still the Rebels).  Today the school showed off their new mascot, named Tony in memory of Tony Fein who created up the "Fins Up" gesture in 2008.  Also new are tertiary logos featuring a combination of a fin and the state shape, a M-Shark, and a styled M.  Further information & pictures can be seen at http://landsharkmascot.com/

blue-fin-white-outline-rgb-1116x1563.pngj2-538x350.pngm2-538x350.png

On 8/7/2018 at 2:03 PM, agentrygraphics said:

According to P-FW...this logo continually came out as the top choice among focus groups. That Blue looks....really forced...with it just being a single stroke on the Mastadon. Not really digging the way the shade works with the Purdue black & gold. *cringe*

I get what they were trying to do by placing blue in the logo as their school colors prior to the IU-PU split were blue and white. Now that they are solely part of the Purdue University system, their school colors are black and gold. Blue is not officially part of their scheme so this forced addition is even worse. They should have either left blue in the past or stuck with blue and white.

That might be the first decent husky logo they've had. I'm not up on all their logos historically, but my sister went there in the late 90's and that's when I started paying attention. 

Pretty well done. 

I did like like the red/black paw print though. 

16 hours ago, Section30 said:

They better keep the old husky head for their hockey jerseys.

That old husky head looks like the husky is melting. It's the second-worst husky logo of all time.

raf,360x360,075,t,fafafa:ca443f4786.jpg

• Like 4
oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

57 minutes ago, Section30 said:

This is the old UCONN logo, this is the old husky on the jersey I was referring to.

Image result for northeastern huskies hockey jersey red

A thing of beauty

They're not, and good riddance. That is honestly one of the worst logos ever.

With the new one, there are a few issues I have with the husky head, but overall it's pretty solid. Though, it NEEDS the red eye. 

That N logo is hot garbage

• Like 2

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Yea I’m not feeling the “n” more then anything, just to thin, needs to be more bolder I feel. Don’t like the lack of red in the primary logos as well...do like the husky though. 

Edit: Looks like they have a “3D” logo of the husky eyes just like Cincy does. Interesting....

4.jpg

more or less keeping jerseys the same with updating logo, wordmark, and it looks like single color numbers. 

If they made the eye red and put the thick block font N on the shoulders from years ago it would be nearly perfect. 

I never knew the logo logo from last year was based on their original, which I saw in the video from the link above. Makes it slightly more interesting but still not good. 

Its too bad UConn pretty much blew all other husky logos out of the water with their rebrand. That logo would look great for NE too. 

17 hours ago, Section30 said:

This is the old UCONN logo, this is the old husky on the jersey I was referring to.

I know the "sad husky" is an old UConn logo. I was saying that the melting husky that Northeastern used to use is the second-worst husky logo of all time for any team.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

13 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

I don't know where this fits, but it is college related so...

How about a conference making an identity change as the Division III Iowa Intercollegiate Athletic Conference now becomes the American Rivers Conference

Hmm...interesting choice of names. An upgrade from the mouthful of a name that it had...but when I see "American Rivers" my first thought does not immediately go to "Iowa", y'know?

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85