College athletics identity changes

Burkell007

49 minutes ago, Earl said:

This now official:  News Article  School modernized the panther, changed FIT to FT to emphasize Florida Tech, and new wordmarks.  New institutional marks came out in May.

I see a possible lawsuit coming from the Gators about that F. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• 2 weeks later...

For those who are not "blue chip brands", design is less important than the amount of product they'll receive during the life of the contract.  For most, the days of large amount of cash are a thing of the past as a result of the college hoops trials.  The royalties for Nike-branded apparel is likely higher compares with the other brands too since more folks buy Nike gear overall. 

• Like 2

On 6/20/2019 at 6:28 AM, WSU151 said:

I see a possible lawsuit coming from the Gators about that F. 

It’s notoriously difficult to protect the design of plain letterforms and typefaces. They’d have to show the court that their F is so unique or so associated with the school that the end result would inevitably cause confusion, and both color and proximity factor into that. UF would have a good proximity argument, but I think they’d lose on color, because FT would argue that there’s no way in heck anyone would ever mistake a garnet-colored logo as belonging to UF. 🙂

• Like 2

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

On 7/11/2019 at 7:52 AM, Derek said:

Someone got Phoenix’d

D-aJbaaXkAE7983?format=jpg&name=large

That's a creepy looking Spartan helmet there... and where is this school located? Are they even in the NCAA or NAIA?

• Like 3

On 6/13/2019 at 11:28 AM, Earl said:

UMKC (Missouri-Kansas City of the WAC) Kangaroos just went back to the fighting kangaroo design as a homage to their past.  New is the front-facing kangaroo upper-body, KC monogram, and font.  Text seems to emphasis the 'Kansas City' more without the 'UMKC'.  Colors are similar with a new 2nd shade of blue.  This was designed by Old Hat Creative.  Source Article.  This article shows some cool pictures of the evolution of the kangaroo.  (Previous logos on mothership)

spacer.png 

this roo definitely lifts! solid, iconic silhouette here and some interesting line work that divides light and shadow. i don't love it, but its a detail you dont see very often; cant think of another mascot logo like that. they probably spent a good amount of time fine tuning the yellow and light blue areas to make sure the lighting and form was right. the right (viewer left) arm might be a bit short? im not a fan of these kinds of illustrated animal-human logos, but for what it is, this one is alright. 

odd choices on type all around. the angles and cuts on the letters are all over the place. theres not a single attractive letterform in "Kansas City" and that particular "C" is just gross. the thin, white outline against yellow is blasphemy, strokes should never be that thin and i dont believe in putting white against yellow like this. whats the point? KC is widely tracked and never kerned. look at the space between T-Y or K-A. The University line is as much of an afterthought. Leading all around too tight as well. It truly feels like they worked the whole time on the mascot and phoned in the typography on the last day. The monogram on mascot chest has nothing in common with the other type either. 

"Evoking the past while creating a new future was a major goal of the project." — thats from the linked article. is everyone taking Nike's tagline as their ethos now? even Adidas is saying the same kind of thing. 

• Like 1

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

1 hour ago, BrandMooreArt said:

this roo definitely lifts! solid, iconic silhouette here and some interesting line work that divides light and shadow. i don't love it, but its a detail you dont see very often; cant think of another mascot logo like that. they probably spent a good amount of time fine tuning the yellow and light blue areas to make sure the lighting and form was right. the right (viewer left) arm might be a bit short? im not a fan of these kinds of illustrated animal-human logos, but for what it is, this one is alright. 

odd choices on type all around. the angles and cuts on the letters are all over the place. theres not a single attractive letterform in "Kansas City" and that particular "C" is just gross. the thin, white outline against yellow is blasphemy, strokes should never be that thin and i dont believe in putting white against yellow like this. whats the point? KC is widely tracked and never kerned. look at the space between T-Y or K-A. The University line is as much of an afterthought. Leading all around too tight as well. It truly feels like they worked the whole time on the mascot and phoned in the typography on the last day. The monogram on mascot chest has nothing in common with the other type either. 

"Evoking the past while creating a new future was a major goal of the project." — thats from the linked article. is everyone taking Nike's tagline as their ethos now? even Adidas is saying the same kind of thing. 

For what it’s worth, every single time a team briefs a project (in any sport), some variation of “inspired by the past/built for the future” is in the brief somewhere. It’s a natural byproduct of internet comments becoming a primary means of critiquing design, and it’s resulted in a “follow the formula or risk stoking the ire of Twitter” mindset throughout the industry. No one wants to take a risk when there’s so many dollars and reputation points on the line.

• Like 2

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

George Washington Colonials Reveal Updated Basketball Court Design

July 15, 2019 - 17:02 PM

George Washington University last week revealed an updated court design that incorporates the outline of the nation’s capital and three of its most recognizable structures. The court was initially unveiled ahead of the 2013 season, but was refinished this summer […]

Read More...

9 hours ago, edjb93 said:

New LIU Sharks logo?

It's gotta to be since it has the right colors.  I looked it up and seen that the nickname was voted on in May giving the school only months to collaborate a new design for the 2019-20 season, a process that usually takes up to a year & a half.  I'm very satisfied with the shark design but not so much the block LIU.

On 7/11/2019 at 7:52 AM, Derek said:

Someone got Phoenix’d

D-aJbaaXkAE7983?format=jpg&name=large

I don't know why I'm even trying to polish this turd, but the helmet part of the logo has potential.

Drop the eye pupils, thicken the keyline and add some shading to the right half and it's not a terrible start.  Obligatory 5-minute hack job below:

BrRwoar.png

• Like 3

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN