College athletics identity changes

Burkell007

On 2/15/2020 at 9:08 AM, ren69 said:

UC Santa Cruz athletics & recreation is refreshing it's brand identity. Logo sketch samples can be seen & voted on in the link below.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeaV_fIXGR1rjVsc8eI55lBwxLh_4DBYk_vLxr50a86GTiHSA/viewform

Can you keeping share the link each month? I'm interested in how this progresses.

• Like 1

Purdue University Unifies Academics, Athletics Under Motion P Logo

February 17, 2020 - 17:10 PM

Purdue University quietly unified its academic and athletic brands under one mark last month as it looks to take its “next giant leap” into the future. Using a play off the words graduate Neil Armstrong said moments after he took […]

Read More...

2 minutes ago, Volt said:

Screenshot_at_Mar_03_11_11_12.0.png

Are you saying this new logo is worse than the previous?

Image result for indiana state sycamores logo

What I am saying is that their old logo was classic and iconic. Their new logo is terrible. A clean up of what they had would be much better than a complete overhaul. 

• Like 5

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

It looks the blue is a little darker too.

A cleanup of the old one might have worked. However, tradition is almost the only thing it has going for it.  The arched Brush Script lettering is terrible.

Overall, I like the new logo and word mark.  I only have two criticisms/comments:

1.  I'm surprised there is no tertiary mark that just includes the I and the state outline.

2.  I think this might have worked even better if the I matched the rest of the wordmark. This is particularly noticeable with the secondary mark.  The style of the I doesn't seem to lend itself easily to a full alphabet, so the best option would probably be to match the I to the new wordmark.

• Like 7

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

18 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

It looks the blue is a little darker too.

A cleanup of the old one might have worked. However, tradition is almost the only thing it has going for it.  The arched Brush Script lettering is terrible.

Overall, I like the new logo and word mark.  I only have two criticisms/comments:

1.  I'm surprised there is no tertiary mark that just includes the I and the state outline.

2.  I think this might have worked even better if the I matched the rest of the wordmark. This is particularly noticeable with the secondary mark.  The style of the I doesn't seem to lend itself easily to a full alphabet, so the best option would probably be to match the I to the new wordmark.

The old brush script definitely needed updating. But they could have at least kept it as a script, but more legible. The block letters just really don't work for me in this case, the shape for the state looks bizarrely not like Indiana, and I could have done without the "I" being present in the logo at all.

EDIT: I think that, upon further reflection, it's not even the individual elements that I dislike. I wouldn't dislike that font elsewhere. There's nothing inherently wrong with the I they included. It's that it all doesn't seem cohesive to me. It looks like a mishmash of three different elements that don't really go together layered on top of each other. Maybe that means once I get used to it I'll like it more. The reason I'm saying this is I actually find their full wordmark acceptable if not even good. It's the primary logo I don't find appealing.

• Like 4

MZnWkGU.png

StL Cardinals - Indy Colts - Indiana Pacers - Let's Go Blues! - Missouri State Bears - IU Hoosiers - St Louis City SC

My biggest gripe with the new Sycamores logo is the angular simplification of the state outline.I suppose it reads a little cleaner when reproduced in a small format like a social media profile image, but it just looks too sharp and angular for what it's supposed to represent IMO.

4 hours ago, dawgfan said:

My biggest gripe with the new Sycamores logo is the angular simplification of the state outline.I suppose it reads a little cleaner when reproduced in a small format like a social media profile image, but it just looks too sharp and angular for what it's supposed to represent IMO.

Teams oversimplifying state borders has always been a pet peeve of mine. Especially since the sycamores already had a perfectly good outline to work with.

• Like 1

Indiana State Sycamores Introduce New Athletic Branding

March 4, 2020 - 00:58 AM

Indiana State University on Tuesday morning unveiled new athletic branding that includes an updated logo, wordmark and associated fonts. “This is an exciting day for Sycamore Athletics as we position ourselves for the future while also paying respect to the […]

Read More...

A sycamore is a pretty unique tree with a distinctive leaf shape:

spacer.png

You’d think Indiana State would be all over using it in their branding.

I’ll echo the sentiment about the oversimplification of the state outline. It really doesn’t even look like Indiana anymore. The old logo wasn’t great but I think I’d take it over what is replacing it.

• Like 2

Some of their secondaries from this rebrand that use the sycamore leaf are actually pretty slick, surprised they’ve never attempted to capitalize on it. Lots of potential for a classic looking, unique brand (I get the state-outline is a “classic”, I’ve never been too enamored by it)