lilben777

College athletics identity changes

Recommended Posts

Don't love it, but prefer it to the previous logos.

 

Also, does CLT immediately make everybody else think of an inappropriate word more than it does Charlotte, or am I a disgusting pervert? It could be both, I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The pick axe looks completely forced in all of these logos.  This is awful.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why is it unbalanced on the top?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Dynasty said:

Why is it unbalanced on the top?

According to boldrush.com, it has a "9-degree forward tilt that illustrates the brand's positive energy and forward momentum."

 

Barf.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"When you have a cool logo to go along with Nike on the other side, it’s going to help us in recruiting"

 

Pathetic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean, this is bad.

 

Secondary_CLT_RGB_7484.jpg&width=600&hei

 

It would be pretty good, except for the bizarre tilt to the top of the letters.  Looks stupid when the C is by itself, and worse when the CLT are together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Are the logos on the article traced from the reveal footage? I can’t tell if the “CLT” is really that botched for real or not, but it does appear at the very least that the “C” really does have that slight tilt at the top in every instance I’m seeing it. I can’t unsee that tilt and if that’s real, then that’s really poorly done. 

Edited by FinsUp1214

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, that tilt at the top is real.  And yes, it’s really poorly done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, AndrewMLind said:

My wife says to me as I'm writing the article on the front page last night: "Why does it look like an IUD." Now I can't unsee it.

I liked the rebrand until you pointed this out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I mean, this is bad.

 

Secondary_CLT_RGB_7484.jpg&width=600&hei

 

It would be pretty good, except for the bizarre tilt to the top of the letters.  Looks stupid when the C is by itself, and worse when the CLT are together.

 

 

They also have a very slight (and inconsistent) curve to the vertical strokes, making it even worse. It looks like it's melting, or like it's a bad photocopy of the actual logo.

 

 

spacer.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, burgundy said:

 

 

They also have a very slight (and inconsistent) curve to the vertical strokes, making it even worse. It looks like it's melting, or like it's a bad photocopy of the actual logo.

 

 

spacer.png

 

 

I was visualizing a moonbounce starting to deflate instead of something melting.  Same general idea though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At best, this set is weak and lifeless.  At worst, it's sloppily executed.  There's nothing to be proud of here, I'm not sure why Charlotte Athletics would be crowing about this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I think what bothers me most about it is that the sloppy parts are extremely easy to correct, and the fact they weren’t makes the approach seem very lazy. Some designers use a grid to construct thier marks, some rather align it to a grid after construction to align things correctly. In any case, the top slant is something that should have been quite obvious with the aid of a grid, and I really question how thorough the work was here if they didn’t even bother to check how everything aligned.

Edited by FinsUp1214

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FinsUp1214 said:

I think what bothers me most about it is that the sloppy parts are extremely easy to correct, and the fact they weren’t makes the approach seem very lazy. Some designers use a grid to construct thier marks, some rather align it to a grid after construction to align things correctly. In any case, the top slant is something that should have been quite obvious with the aid of a grid, and I really question how thorough the work was here if they didn’t even bother to check how everything aligned.

 

The top slant is intentional. 9 degrees. Represents "energy" or some such nonsense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Gothamite said:

I mean, this is bad.

 

Secondary_CLT_RGB_7484.jpg&width=600&hei

 

It would be pretty good, except for the bizarre tilt to the top of the letters.  Looks stupid when the C is by itself, and worse when the CLT are together.

 

This looks like gelatin.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had to look at their new primary logo to make sure my eyes weren't playing tricks on me...

 

...There's a way to incorporate subtle design features to enhance a brand, but that 9° download thing ain't working here. The whole identity looks more at home in an airport. That said, i understand what they were going for, and despite the fact that I definitely ain't the biggest fan of the visuals, I do believe they hit their mark in terms of simplicity, scalability, and ease of reproduction.  That said...have they all but axed out the gold? Just about everything I've seen favors just green and white. Not that that's an issue, but I am curious.

 

And since I'm curious...just why the heck is this program nicknamed the "49ers", anyway?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.