College athletics identity changes

Burkell007

@Buc according to Wikipedia:

"The nickname "49ers" derives from the fact that the university's predecessor—Charlotte Center of the University of North Carolina (CCUNC – established in 1946) was saved from being shut down by the state in 1949 by Bonnie Cone, when the Charlotte Center became Charlotte College. Due to this "49er spirit" that Cone felt embodied the university, referring to the settlers that endured much hardships in traveling across the United States to seek fortune in the California Gold Rush, students of the fledgling UNC Charlotte chose "49ers" as the school's mascot. The fact that the University's Main Campus front entrance is located on North Carolina Highway 49 is pure coincidence."

• Like 3

Normally, a Division III school that is moving to Division II wouldn't get noticed... but D'Youville (from Buffalo) is making that move. To go with this move, they're changing their nickname from the Spartans to the Saints.

• Like 5

Any way you cut it, this is a major upgrade... particularly for a Division II institution. Frankly, the D'Youville College Saints logo would be an outstanding mark for a Division I athletics program. Phenomenal work on the part of Rickabaugh Graphics!

Old D'Youville College Athletics Identity                              New D'Youville College Athletics Identity         

tivuQDrm.jpg            ahwSRSPm.png

• Like 7

On 6/23/2020 at 4:10 PM, _DietDrPepper_ said:

Ugh, why does it all bend. The CLT mark is pretty underwhelming too, the only cities who can abbreviate their names are cities with 2 or more words. NYC, LA, STL for example. ATL, CLT, neither of those work. The C logo, in theory is alright, albeit boring and lifeless. The 49ers logo, or just the 9ers logo, both look awful, the pickaxe in the 9 looks awkward as can be. I think as bad as the original was, this really isn't all that much better. 

ATL 100% works.. it has been popularized into ubiquity through numerous avenues.. it's to the point that it is often referred to as "A.T.L." or "The A-T-L".. as someone who lives near-ish to Atlanta (and Charlotte), I can say without question that ATL works.. CLT is close to working and is much better than "CHA", as "Charleston" is also in the region and part of "the Carolinas" as well..

Not to mention, these abbreviations already exist in a VERY official context, so it's not like they're just reaching here (ATL in particular).. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Seadragon76 said:

Here's another one that slipped on by... UC Riverside, out of the Big West, changed their look recently. Here it is.

UCR Logo 2020

All the info is here.

I like it! Their last set was pretty bleh, the tartan is an obvious choice but still looks great. Kinda unsure about the monogram, but overall upgrade

• Like 3

Wait, so they're rebranding as CLT and the school's predecessor was CCUNC? 

Please tell me they have a gynecology program.

• Like 1

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

7 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

Here's another one that slipped on by... UC Riverside, out of the Big West, changed their look recently. Here it is.

UCR Logo 2020

All the info is here.

Well, for the most part, these logos are cleaner than the set that preceded them, so that's an upgrade. But the monogram really looks off to me.

I really wish they could have found a way to update the highlander bear mascot though. Would have been a fun identity.

4932_california_riverside_highlanders-alternate-2012.png

• Like 5

UC Riverside Highlanders Unveil New Academic, Athletic Identities

July 8, 2020 - 22:58 PM

The University of California, Riverside, recently unveiled a new brand identity that unifies academics and athletics through updated logos and typography, as well as a simplified color scheme. “We are quite pleased with our new look and proud of how it reflects the growing strength of our brand,” UC Riverside

Read More...

On 7/8/2020 at 5:46 PM, Dynasty said:

The outline between the C and R is an eyesore. The secondaries are better anyway.

The C should be on top.

5-second MS Paint fix:

aJs63A7.png

• Like 3

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

3 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

The eyesore to me is another damn animal logo, especially when your team is not named after an animal.

There seems to be a historical precedent for it, and it’s safer than going for a caricature of Scottish guy at this point in time. I’d hardly call it an eyesore, the tartan spices it up pretty nicely imo

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

The eyesore to me is another damn animal logo, especially when your team is not named after an animal.

I don’t have a problem with it myself, UC Riverside has used a bear in some form for years. The use of a bear isn’t anything new from them in and of itself. 

• Like 1

CCSLC%20Signature_1.png

5 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I think it’s cool that several UC campuses share the bear as a mascot given its association with California iconography, and I think this one is quite creative. It would have been significantly less exciting if it was just tartan, and significantly less creative if it was a literal highlander. I think the approach they took merging California and Scottish traditions is a benchmark for creating a unique identity.

As far as the monogram goes, I don’t mind that the R is the isolated character since that’s the distinguishing feature of this particular campus compared to the other UCs, but there’s something nice about the symmetry of bringing the C to the front.

Is there an explanation anywhere for why the monogram is oriented with the C dropped below? My first thought upon seeeing it was to make the leg of the R vertical and adjust the spacing between the ends of the C so that there’s a defined H hidden in the negative space of the C and R.

• Like 4

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]