College athletics identity changes

Burkell007

37 minutes ago, lilben777 said:

Nope the  eyes and the ears make it waaay not close. Even the jawline. It’s not close at all.

Seeing them side by side makes me think Baylor is the Bears and UCR is the St. Bernards. It looks more like a big shaggy dog than a bear. 

It's like a straight-to-VHS copy of Beethoven 7, Dogs In Scotland. 

• Like 4

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

In OAC news, Capital University announced that they will retire the "Crusaders" name.

Some people will see it as "pressure" because of Washington's announcement today, but look closely, and it said it took place over 15 months, so it started back sometime in April 2019.

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

On 7/13/2020 at 7:41 PM, panthers_2012 said:

In OAC news, Capital University announced that they will retire the "Crusaders" name.

Some people will see it as "pressure" because of Washington's announcement today, but look closely, and it said it took place over 15 months, so it started back sometime in April 2019.

Reminds me of when Holy Cross did their study and decided to retire the crusader logo, replacing it with the "HC" shield, but kept the nickname.

• Like 1

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

Not really sure if this belongs here, but I don't know where else it would.

Would the NCAA consider enacting an anti-Confederacy themed nickname policy, similar to the one involving Native themed nicknames? As far as I can tell it would only effect a few schools;

Washington & Lee Generals - named for General Washington, but also General Lee (This ones kinda iffy)

Ole Miss Rebels

UNLV Rebels

Millsaps Majors - in honor of Confederate Major Reuben Millsaps

The ruling could also be expanded to school names, which would knock out a few more.

3 hours ago, sportsfan7 said:

Would the NCAA consider enacting an anti-Confederacy themed nickname policy, similar to the one involving Native themed nicknames? As far as I can tell it would only effect a few schools;

Washington & Lee Generals - named for General Washington, but also General Lee (This ones kinda iffy)

Ole Miss Rebels

UNLV Rebels

The ruling could also be expanded to school names, which would knock out a few more.

It could. However, I would think that W&L and Millsaps nicknames could be made general enough to not evoke any confederate imagery.

The names of the schools themselves, that's another thing for people way smarter than me to tackle.

• Like 1

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

On 7/17/2020 at 5:47 PM, sportsfan7 said:

Ole Miss Rebels

UNLV Rebels

The nicknames themselves are generic enough that just because you have that nickname, it doesn't mean Confederate General/Major/Rebel.  There are Generals and Majors in any army and Rebel can also mean something outside of a military standpoint.  Plus, the schools you mentioned have gone away from the Confederate imagery.. so it works out.

As for the schools themselves... Yeah, the NCAA has no pull here.

Albany Great Danes Unveil Refreshed Athletic Identity

July 22, 2020 - 21:32 PM

The State University of New York at Albany unveiled a refreshed athletic identity on Wednesday morning that includes a realistic depiction of a Great Dane as the primary logo. “This new brand identity truly exemplifies our culture of developing our student-athletes into Great Leaders, Great Champions and Great Danes,” athletic

Read More...

They apparently take a lot of pride in the UAlbany moniker. We received an email from their communications department this evening letting us know that UAlbany is the informal name for the school, not Albany. “Albany is the city, the high school and the county.” I respect the desire to uphold the brand standards, even if it comes off a little pompous. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Looks like a new Wake Forest logo is set for 2020:

Wake Forest Demon Deacons Nike Sideline Logo Cuffed Knit Hat with Pom - Black

The top hat was introduced in 2019 as a "complementary mark" but this is the first time I've seen the new deacon.

From 2019: https://godeacs.com/news/2019/10/1/general-wake-forest-athletics-refreshes-its-brand.aspx

• Like 5

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

26 minutes ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

I would say it's just a new alternate logo, they just did a major tweak last year. 

Yes, the WF logo is still the main one. This new deacon will probably replace the cartoony profile version that's been around 30 or so years. 

This new one looks pretty good...I like the older one too but it just doesn't fit in the new brand. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

National Junior College Athletic Association Updates Logo

August 26, 2020 - 23:05 PM

When the National Junior College Athletic Association resumes competition next year, it will do so with an updated logo that was unveiled on Tuesday afternoon. “The NJCAA brand is the first impression of the association and the visual identity for two-year collegiate athletics in the United States,” NJCAA vice president

Read More...