lilben777

College athletics identity changes

1 hour ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Without the hat and scarf (?), Baylor could have a problem with it.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Nope the  eyes and the ears make it waaay not close. Even the jawline. It’s not close at all.

37 minutes ago, lilben777 said:

Nope the  eyes and the ears make it waaay not close. Even the jawline. It’s not close at all.

Seeing them side by side makes me think Baylor is the Bears and UCR is the St. Bernards. It looks more like a big shaggy dog than a bear. 

It's like a straight-to-VHS copy of Beethoven 7, Dogs In Scotland. 

In OAC news, Capital University announced that they will retire the "Crusaders" name.

Some people will see it as "pressure" because of Washington's announcement today, but look closely, and it said it took place over 15 months, so it started back sometime in April 2019.

On 7/13/2020 at 7:41 PM, panthers_2012 said:

In OAC news, Capital University announced that they will retire the "Crusaders" name.

Some people will see it as "pressure" because of Washington's announcement today, but look closely, and it said it took place over 15 months, so it started back sometime in April 2019.

Reminds me of when Holy Cross did their study and decided to retire the crusader logo, replacing it with the "HC" shield, but kept the nickname.

Not really sure if this belongs here, but I don't know where else it would.

Would the NCAA consider enacting an anti-Confederacy themed nickname policy, similar to the one involving Native themed nicknames? As far as I can tell it would only effect a few schools;

Washington & Lee Generals - named for General Washington, but also General Lee (This ones kinda iffy)

Ole Miss Rebels

UNLV Rebels

Millsaps Majors - in honor of Confederate Major Reuben Millsaps

The ruling could also be expanded to school names, which would knock out a few more.

3 hours ago, sportsfan7 said:

Would the NCAA consider enacting an anti-Confederacy themed nickname policy, similar to the one involving Native themed nicknames? As far as I can tell it would only effect a few schools;

Washington & Lee Generals - named for General Washington, but also General Lee (This ones kinda iffy)

Ole Miss Rebels

UNLV Rebels

The ruling could also be expanded to school names, which would knock out a few more.

It could. However, I would think that W&L and Millsaps nicknames could be made general enough to not evoke any confederate imagery.

The names of the schools themselves, that's another thing for people way smarter than me to tackle.

Albany has a new logo set and they overcorrected their cartoony set with something straight out of 1998

On 7/17/2020 at 5:47 PM, sportsfan7 said:

Ole Miss Rebels

UNLV Rebels

The nicknames themselves are generic enough that just because you have that nickname, it doesn't mean Confederate General/Major/Rebel.  There are Generals and Majors in any army and Rebel can also mean something outside of a military standpoint.  Plus, the schools you mentioned have gone away from the Confederate imagery.. so it works out.

As for the schools themselves... Yeah, the NCAA has no pull here.

Albany Great Danes Unveil Refreshed Athletic Identity

July 22, 2020 - 21:32 PM

The State University of New York at Albany unveiled a refreshed athletic identity on Wednesday morning that includes a realistic depiction of a Great Dane as the primary logo. “This new brand identity truly exemplifies our culture of developing our student-athletes into Great Leaders, Great Champions and Great Danes,” athletic

Read More...

I know it's not new with this rebrand, but I really hate styling the name as "Ualbany".

Simply using "Albany" would fix the issue; I don't know what they were thinking when keeping the U in there. The logo package is solid though.

Cool dog head, though great danes evoke a regal, distinguished vibe for me. Not so much "angry dog" like a bulldog or whatever would. Still it's a cool dog head

They apparently take a lot of pride in the UAlbany moniker. We received an email from their communications department this evening letting us know that UAlbany is the informal name for the school, not Albany. “Albany is the city, the high school and the county.” I respect the desire to uphold the brand standards, even if it comes off a little pompous. 

Yea I’m not vibing with it. I don’t like all the gray, and although the old one was cartoonish it just had more of a college feel. A touch up to the older one would’ve been my course of action