lilben777

College athletics identity changes

Saint Peter’s Peacocks Unveil New Athletic Branding

August 29, 2020 - 21:16 PM

As part of a department-wide rebranding around one of the nation’s most unique mascots, the Saint Peter’s Peacocks recently unveiled a new primary logo, typeface and spirit marks.  “This is an exciting day for our student-athletes, coaches, staff, alumni and fans,” athletic director Rachelle Paul said in a statement. “Together,

Read More...

Overall, this is a good update. The new primary mark is miles better than the previous. However, I'm not terribly crazy about the full-body peacock. It looks like it has a cookie on it's back, not feathers. 

It's been a long time coming, and not really a secret, but they are finally bringing back "Pride Gold" to the football and basketball uniforms!

Untitled_1.jpg?width=1440&quality=80&for

https://govandals.com/news/2020/11/18/vandals-share-new-looks-in-football-basketball.aspx

Here is their "New" branding as well: https://www.uidaho.edu/-/media/UIdaho-Responsive/Files/brand-resource-center/support-services-ucm/trademark-licensing/university-of-idaho-artwork-update.pdf

ACtC-3ccJHy9tqCdQk2J0JDai-o673ZBEAKA77N8ACtC-3cVmT0IHQqh5tRUzTB1MpcjVneqdl4CAexOACtC-3cFEXv6DgY8IwHbxieRF9mcbH2ousq7pkVfACtC-3cGiiCWR6aTJd7Njswchy2UfebsISMOKNMh

I like this... but now they come even closer to matching the other black and gold “I” school in Iowa. 

I think the major shift away from metallic gold is a little misguided, although the wordmark is excellent and yellow-gold is still overall underused in sports. I like the gray accents as well because they are another “silver and gold” school similar to Colorado.

It’s also still sad to see them in the Big Sky. It makes no sense... the athletic dept. lost a ton of funding and they aren’t anywhere close to being an FCS juggernaut like NDSU.

15 minutes ago, TenaciousG said:

It’s also still sad to see them in the Big Sky. It makes no sense... the athletic dept. lost a ton of funding and they aren’t anywhere close to being an FCS juggernaut like NDSU.

They had little to no choice, so there is that.

I'm of two minds when it comes to athletic gold vs. old gold. Both can be great, but athletic gold can work with white in a way that old gold can not.

I like the new athletic gold, but I don’t think I like it more than metallic gold for them. I will say that I love the way they use gray/silver along with the gold. It’s a sharp look.

I prefer metallic gold. Idaho should be metallic silver and metallic gold with black accents. The state and school colors are silver and gold. It's a very underused color combination.

Idaho's branding is way too safe for their name. Should be an aggressive or punk look.

On 11/21/2020 at 3:07 AM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Idaho's branding is way too safe for their name. Should be an aggressive or punk look.

It’s no longer the 90’s