College athletics identity changes

Burkell007

On 2/13/2021 at 4:42 PM, NicDB said:

FCS affiliated, but non-scholarship, which is why you never hear of them. They're a glorified club team.

As far as a new nickname, I'd like them to choose somethinh that would enable them to keep their current identity package, as I think it's very well done. I would go with Squires. It means the same basic thing as Knights, but much more unique.

I've heard of them. Does no one follow FCS football around here? And what makes them a "glorified club team"? Because they don't have scholarships? This is the kind of attitudes that always frustrate me. 

• Like 7

On 2/15/2021 at 4:28 PM, CrimsonBull9584 said:

I've heard of them. Does no one follow FCS football around here? And what makes them a "glorified club team"? Because they don't have scholarships? This is the kind of attitudes that always frustrate me. 

Fine, glorified D-III team that only plays at FCS because of NCAA rules. (and honestly Valpo football is bad even by Pioneer League standards).

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/18/2021 at 1:19 PM, JayMac said:

That looks a lot like the logo of one of my Alma Maters, Rowan University. 

1HsozEb.jpgTo09Z9W.png

I like it.

They look absolutely nothing like each other. Owl head vs. Full body. 3/4 turn vs. front view. Different fonts. Similar colors though but so what. That's like saying Georgia & Gonzaga bulldog logos look a lot like each other because they use similar shades of red.

Made this discovery today: Harvard has a new athletics shield & wordmark. When did this happen? I dug back through their athletics Twitter and found it first used in June 2020. I haven't seen a single article about it. Pretty crazy for a D1 program. Part of why I never noticed or checked anything of theirs is the fact that Ivy League teams haven't played anything in nearly a year. So anyways, the new shield is slightly thinner and has a white outline. I asked about the curved notches in the serifs and was told they represent Harvard Stadium which is iconic in its own right. I think for more accuracy, just the top 2 serifs should had been notched out as Harvard Stadium is only bowled in at one end & straight at the other. I believe the color has changed from Pantone 187 to 201.
NEW
spacer.png     spacer.png
OLD                                                                           Harvard Stadium
spacer.png     spacer.png

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Earl said:

They look absolutely nothing like each other. Owl head vs. Full body. 3/4 turn vs. front view. Different fonts. Similar colors though but so what. That's like saying Georgia & Gonzaga bulldog logos look a lot like each other because they use similar shades of red.

I'm definitely not saying it is a rip-off but having an owl in the same seldom-used color combo is at least similar. They just remind me of each other. Having two bulldog logos in red is not uncommon at all. Bad analogy. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Boston College Announces New Balance As Official Outfitter In All Sports Except Football

April 13, 2021 - 14:31 PM

Boston College announced on Tuesday morning that New Balance will become the new official outfitter of 30 of the Eagles’ 31 varsity athletic programs. That excludes football, which will announce a separate deal in the coming weeks. “This partnership will be an absolute game-changer for Boston College athletics and our

Read More...

• Like 1

It's interesting; Nike has their Oregon and UA has their Maryland.

Now NB gets their Boston College. Though I tend to think it'll be more "university close to HQ" than "school we get to experiment wackily with." Because football is not included, and because neither New Balance nor the BC Eagles are typically known for pushing the innovation envelope.

• Like 1

48142444846_3aa6afbd89_m.jpgNCAA Baseball Champions | 2014, 2019 

facebook

46 minutes ago, Webfooter said:

Probably could command a bit more from another source than with New Balance.  I suspect it'll be either Adidas or Nike for them.

https://www.bsnsports.com/vendor_catalogs/new_balance_2020/2020-Spring-Fall-Football-Catalog-single-pages_co.pdf

It looks like they don't have too many options for football either. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 2 weeks later...

Yuck. New Balance would have literally been a better choice for their football program than this. It's also only for three years, so it doesn't even line up with the New Balance deal.

This tweet seems to imply that they're downgrading to the 1962-2000 logo and presumably bringing back the throwbacks full-time. Pretty unfortunate since their last Under Armour set was one of the best looks in the ACC. On the other hand, the promotional graphic for this deal on their website uses the current logo, so... 🤷‍♂️

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

Yuck. New Balance would have literally been a better choice for their football program than this. It's also only for three years, so it doesn't even line up with the New Balance deal.

This tweet seems to imply that they're downgrading to the 1962-2000 logo and presumably bringing back the throwbacks full-time. Pretty unfortunate since their last Under Armour set was one of the best looks in the ACC. On the other hand, the promotional graphic for this deal on their website uses the current logo, so... 🤷‍♂️

South Florida Slime Uniform — UNISWAG

At least they'll be getting this cut and not the tire treads. . . Hopefully. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

Strong disagree...the modern BC set, especially with the white pants and contrasting sleeve caps with stripes, was pretty horrid. The 80s set and the 90s Glenn Foley set were far more aesthetically pleasing. 

• Like 1

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

• 1 month later...

Western Michigan seems to be taking design input from Washington Football Team and are going with a W in a circle as well. The new logo appears to be for both the school itself as well as for the athletic teams. The athletic department website features the new W logo throughout yet the football team social media pages are still using the bronco logo. It will be interesting to see if all the teams have new uniforms and equipment that match the new branding and colors.

As far as the new main logo, its ok. The biggest issue I have is there is nothing distinctive about it that lets you know its Western Michigan. Brown and gold are unique colors for sure in college branding. Unfortunately they only other school that comes to mind with the same colors is Wyoming, so by using just a W it could be mistaken for a logo for Wyoming, if Wyoming were crazy enough to ever move away from the bucking cowboy logo.

New logo

No photo description available.

Old Logo

1200px-Western_Michigan_Broncos_logo.svg.png

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, cajunaggie08 said:

Western Michigan seems to be taking design input from Washington Football Team and are going with a W in a circle as well. The new logo appears to be for both the school itself as well as for the athletic teams. The athletic department website features the new W logo throughout yet the football team social media pages are still using the bronco logo. It will be interesting to see if all the teams have new uniforms and equipment that match the new branding and colors.

As far as the new main logo, its ok. The biggest issue I have is there is nothing distinctive about it that lets you know its Western Michigan. Brown and gold are unique colors for sure in college branding. Unfortunately they only other school that comes to mind with the same colors is Wyoming, so by using just a W it could be mistaken for a logo for Wyoming, if Wyoming were crazy enough to ever move away from the bucking cowboy logo.

New logo

No photo description available.

Old Logo

1200px-Western_Michigan_Broncos_logo.svg.png

Links aren't working.   Here's a tiny, crappy picture of it. 

WMU%20stacked-digital.png?itok=Dbt0APJf

• Like 2
"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter