lilben777

College athletics identity changes

On 2/13/2021 at 4:42 PM, NicDB said:

FCS affiliated, but non-scholarship, which is why you never hear of them. They're a glorified club team.

As far as a new nickname, I'd like them to choose somethinh that would enable them to keep their current identity package, as I think it's very well done. I would go with Squires. It means the same basic thing as Knights, but much more unique.

I've heard of them. Does no one follow FCS football around here? And what makes them a "glorified club team"? Because they don't have scholarships? This is the kind of attitudes that always frustrate me. 

That looks a lot like the logo of one of my Alma Maters, Rowan University. 

1HsozEb.jpg

I like it.

On 2/15/2021 at 4:28 PM, CrimsonBull9584 said:

I've heard of them. Does no one follow FCS football around here? And what makes them a "glorified club team"? Because they don't have scholarships? This is the kind of attitudes that always frustrate me. 

Fine, glorified D-III team that only plays at FCS because of NCAA rules. (and honestly Valpo football is bad even by Pioneer League standards).

On 2/18/2021 at 1:19 PM, JayMac said:

That looks a lot like the logo of one of my Alma Maters, Rowan University. 

1HsozEb.jpgTo09Z9W.png

I like it.

They look absolutely nothing like each other. Owl head vs. Full body. 3/4 turn vs. front view. Different fonts. Similar colors though but so what. That's like saying Georgia & Gonzaga bulldog logos look a lot like each other because they use similar shades of red.

Made this discovery today: Harvard has a new athletics shield & wordmark. When did this happen? I dug back through their athletics Twitter and found it first used in June 2020. I haven't seen a single article about it. Pretty crazy for a D1 program. Part of why I never noticed or checked anything of theirs is the fact that Ivy League teams haven't played anything in nearly a year. So anyways, the new shield is slightly thinner and has a white outline. I asked about the curved notches in the serifs and was told they represent Harvard Stadium which is iconic in its own right. I think for more accuracy, just the top 2 serifs should had been notched out as Harvard Stadium is only bowled in at one end & straight at the other. I believe the color has changed from Pantone 187 to 201.
NEW
spacer.png     spacer.png
OLD                                                                           Harvard Stadium
spacer.png     spacer.png

7 hours ago, Earl said:

They look absolutely nothing like each other. Owl head vs. Full body. 3/4 turn vs. front view. Different fonts. Similar colors though but so what. That's like saying Georgia & Gonzaga bulldog logos look a lot like each other because they use similar shades of red.

I'm definitely not saying it is a rip-off but having an owl in the same seldom-used color combo is at least similar. They just remind me of each other. Having two bulldog logos in red is not uncommon at all. Bad analogy.