College athletics identity changes

Burkell007

38 minutes ago, cajunaggie08 said:

Western Michigan seems to be taking design input from Washington Football Team and are going with a W in a circle as well. The new logo appears to be for both the school itself as well as for the athletic teams. The athletic department website features the new W logo throughout yet the football team social media pages are still using the bronco logo. It will be interesting to see if all the teams have new uniforms and equipment that match the new branding and colors.

As far as the new main logo, its ok. The biggest issue I have is there is nothing distinctive about it that lets you know its Western Michigan. Brown and gold are unique colors for sure in college branding. Unfortunately they only other school that comes to mind with the same colors is Wyoming, so by using just a W it could be mistaken for a logo for Wyoming, if Wyoming were crazy enough to ever move away from the bucking cowboy logo.

New logo

No photo description available.

Old Logo

1200px-Western_Michigan_Broncos_logo.svg.png

Based on this video, the bronco stays with some mods.

From a brand equity perspective, five-point stars are so common, that have a -- stretched--  star is something unique that you can somewhat call your own.  I'm still getting used to it, so it does look a little weird at the moment, but that feeling might be something that goes away in time

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Survival79 said:

I really like the bulldog and the script.

This star? Gross. It looks like they resized it in Microsoft Paint.

DTul9NJ.png

I would have gone with something like this.

PUDmVod.png

Since the C is longer horizontally than vertically, the horizontally stretched star looks appropriate in that space and compliments the C just fine.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GFB said:

From a brand equity perspective, five-point stars are so common, that have a -- stretched--  star is something unique that you can somewhat call your own.

19 minutes ago, jaha32 said:

Since the C is longer horizontally than vertically, the horizontally stretched star looks appropriate in that space and compliments the C just fine.

It makes zero sense to me, especially because The Citadel seems to hold non-wonky stars in high esteem.

RVgMNm4.png

FyXr7B3.png

G1Ic5JS.png

puNW2q7.png

ggvb9wg.png

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

Capital Crusaders, D3 school in Ohio, announced the final four for their name change. Here are the logos for each potential replacement.spacer.png

Personally, I like the Comets. It's a unique name, and there's a bunch of unique names in the Ohio Athletic Conference (Student Princes, Polar Bears, and my favorite, Fighting Muskies).

The twist to the story is that "Capital Capybaras" had caught on within the student and the alumni and they want it to be included within these choices. And here's the link to the article: https://cuchimes.com/06/2021/capital-alum-shares-thoughts-on-mascot-nominees/

• Like 1

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

Wolves and hawks? 🙄 More boring common crap.  Comets has a nice ring to it.

"In my opinion, what I think most people are upset with is that the options presented to us were bland and unoriginal in the end. We felt that we ordered a filet mignon and instead got a hamburger,” said Butts."

Glad I'm not the only one.

• Like 2

spacer.png

Last updated 2/26

5 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Wolves and hawks? 🙄 More boring common crap.  Comets has a nice ring to it.

"In my opinion, what I think most people are upset with is that the options presented to us were bland and unoriginal in the end. We felt that we ordered a filet mignon and instead got a hamburger,” said Butts."

Glad I'm not the only one.

That quote made make laugh.

It's true. Capital United is the dumbest one in there. It sounds like a soccer team. Capital dropped the ball on this and I'm hoping that Capybaras can be considered.

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

Comets has the most potential outside of Capybaras.

Wolves and Hawks are cop out options and United makes me think of an English soccer team starting in League Two or something lower on the pyramid.

On 6/10/2021 at 8:42 AM, cajunaggie08 said:

Western Michigan seems to be taking design input from Washington Football Team and are going with a W in a circle as well. The new logo appears to be for both the school itself as well as for the athletic teams. The athletic department website features the new W logo throughout yet the football team social media pages are still using the bronco logo. It will be interesting to see if all the teams have new uniforms and equipment that match the new branding and colors.

As far as the new main logo, its ok. The biggest issue I have is there is nothing distinctive about it that lets you know its Western Michigan. Brown and gold are unique colors for sure in college branding. Unfortunately they only other school that comes to mind with the same colors is Wyoming, so by using just a W it could be mistaken for a logo for Wyoming, if Wyoming were crazy enough to ever move away from the bucking cowboy logo.

New logo

No photo description available.

Old Logo

1200px-Western_Michigan_Broncos_logo.svg.png

I think Wyoming-WMU has a bit of the Texas-Tennessee think going on where one school is more associated with their mascot based logo that the similar monograms aren't a problem. Granted, it doesn't help that both mascot logos feature horses on top of the similar colors.

I think I'd have preferred to see a WMU rather than just a W. But that would make Western the only D1 Michigan school not branding itself around a single block letter. 

• Like 1

I like Dunehawks. It's original and even though I'm not sure how far it is between Valparaiso and the Indiana Dunes National Park, it would work.

Beacons is a close second for me because I like the name.

I love WMU going to athletic gold over Vegas gold. But they need to keep the Bronco in a prominent role. A generic W is… generic.

• Like 3

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

3 hours ago, Seadragon76 said:

I like Dunehawks. It's original and even though I'm not sure how far it is between Valparaiso and the Indiana Dunes National Park, it would work.

Beacons is a close second for me because I like the name.

It's only about 15 miles to the Dunes. Here's some more context about the Dunehawk name.

______Hawks is starting to venture into the same overuse category as Wildcats or Color Names

• Like 2

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

19 minutes ago, stumpygremlin said:

Why wouldn't Valpo go with Knights? They wouldn't have to change the logo at all.

Valparaiso baseball schedule scores and stats | D1baseball.com

I believe because it has connotations to a domestic terror group in the United States that had a massive rebirth in the 1920's in some parts of Indiana. 

• Like 2

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png