College athletics identity changes

Burkell007

• 3 weeks later...

NAIA's University of the Virgin Islands has a new look.

New

21_084_UVI_Primary_Logo.jpg

Old

1270428_521938751226586_470216772_o.jpg?

From uvi.edu:

UVI Athletics Debuts New Look

The University of the Virgin Islands (UVI) Athletics Department will be sporting an exciting new look beginning in the upcoming academic year. The refreshed identity was created with the culture and tradition of the Virgin Islands in mind. 

Having joined the UVI community in 2020, the new Athletic Director, Dr. Jerel Drew said his goal is to “establish a culture of athletic academic excellence and National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA) compliance.” 

“I hope to create a new athletic vision that reflects and embodies UVI's heritage and history as a Historically Black College and University (HBCU),” he said. “After consulting with the various constituents of the University, there was a consensus that there was a need to improve and raise the Athletic Department’s image to a competitive standard with other universities.” 

The bold new design reflects the Buccaneers’ history and spirit and the commitment to represent and celebrate those roots and the University of the Virgin Islands. Virgin Islands history is depicted by a buccaneers’ ship and a sugar mill while the culture is evidenced by a moko jumbie and a steel pan.

Source: https://uvi.edu/news/articles/2021/21_084_uvi_athletics_logo.aspx

sport-scarf_dortmund_zps9338859f.png

http://d21gd0ap5v1ndt.cloudfront.net/web05/uvi/images_web/Main-Logo.png

It looks like this was the old look? They don't seem to have updated their website, www.uvisports.com, with the new look. Also, the uvi.edu site doesn't easily link to uvisports.com. Terrible web design all around here.

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

17 hours ago, cajunaggie08 said:

Update for Southeastern Louisiana University (SLU)

The new “S” is much better, but not really anything special. The lion logo is fine. I would hope that ends up on their football helmets. The “SLU” logo is problematic for me, though. I hate the way that the “U” interacts with the state outline - sitting behind rather than being one the same level as the other letters. I also don’t like the placement with the left downstroke of the “U” lining up above the end of the “L” and creating that break in the letter.

• Like 1

gYH2mW9.png

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, jefrsn said:

The Big West Conference released a new look this week.

https://bigwest.org/news/2021/7/20/cross-country-the-big-west-reveals-new-brand-identity.aspx

spacer.png

Oof. That is a rough look. Looks like it should be the number 3 on a modernized Dale Earnhardt car than be the logo for a Division 1 conference. 

• Like 6

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

36 minutes ago, GriffinM6 said:

Oof. That is a rough look. Looks like it should be the number 3 on a modernized Dale Earnhardt car than be the logo for a Division 1 conference. 

Quick... send that to Richard Childress so he can use it for his grandson's 3 car rather than the same Earnhardt font

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, cajunaggie08 said:

Valparaiso has chosen Beacons as the new nickname for its sports teams.

https://www.valpoathletics.com/athletics/news/2021-22/20576/valparaiso-university-unveils-new-nickname/

The nickname itself isn't bad, but that logo is horrible. It looks like someone made it in MS Paint in 20 minutes. 

• Like 7

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

51 minutes ago, GriffinM6 said:

The nickname itself isn't bad, but that logo is horrible. It looks like someone made it in MS Paint in 20 minutes. 

I'm just picturing an anthropomorphized lighthouse named Mavis running around the gym.

• Like 10

LvZYtbZ.png

The logo is definitely interesting... It really needs some more work. But I love the new nickname!! My high school has the exact same mascot for the same reasons they chose it. 

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

4 hours ago, GriffinM6 said:

I'll have you know they paid me good money for that logo😂😂😂

Yeah, not a fan of the logo or the name, but that's just me.

• Like 2

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

5 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Heh I thought of the same without the beamin. Kinda like mountaineers vs. chanticleers.

BEACONS...DEMON DEACONS! WHO'S LIGHT WILL SHINE THE BRIGHTEST THIS AFTERNOON ON THE OCHO! 

• Like 1

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

1 hour ago, SCL said:

The name is fine, the lighthouse makes zero sense. I am guessing this logo, which works for beacons, remains the most prominent.

spacer.png

I agree, this shield is by far the superior mark.

That new logo is terrible on so many levels, not the least of which is its inexplicable use of two different fonts. 

On the other hand, turn that lighthouse into a butter churn and you'd have yourself a great logo for a regional dairy brand. 

• Like 1

The top of the lighthouse is obviously meant to emulate the campus building that appeared throughout the video.  That said, it does look like a quickie MS Paint job, as @GriffinM6 said.

Also, I would normally think that a lighthouse seems a little incongruous for a college in the middle of Indiana.  However, Valpo isn't too far from Michigan City and this lighthouse.

spacer.png

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃