College athletics identity changes

Burkell007

The name doesn’t stem from an actual lighthouse, or the area having some kind of nautical connection, it’s definitely more spiritual in nature. This is not meant to be evangelism, just an identification of what the reasoning for the mascot is. Jesus says in Matthew 5:14-16 “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.” 

So this is why a beacon works so well. It’s a literal light source that illuminates the dark, guiding people to safety. This is what Christians believe, and being a private Christian university, it makes sense that they chose this name. My high school has the same name for the same reason. And we’re not on a lake or anything like that, we’re just in the suburbs. 

• Like 8

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

1 hour ago, chcarlson23 said:

The name doesn’t stem from an actual lighthouse, or the area having some kind of nautical connection, it’s definitely more spiritual in nature. This is not meant to be evangelism, just an identification of what the reasoning for the mascot is. Jesus says in Matthew 5:14-16 “You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.” 

So this is why a beacon works so well. It’s a literal light source that illuminates the dark, guiding people to safety. This is what Christians believe, and being a private Christian university, it makes sense that they chose this name. My high school has the same name for the same reason. And we’re not on a lake or anything like that, we’re just in the suburbs. 

I'm still waiting for a Christian school to go with the nickname Snakedoves or Dovesnakes based on Matthew 10:16: "Behold, I send you forth as sheep in the midst of wolves: be ye therefore wise as serpents, and harmless as doves."

• Like 3

Visit my store on REDBUBBLE

2 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

This is a great explanation, and more validation for how Valpo picked the right name. 

That said, they might have been better off using a logo that placed more emphasis on the light cast by the lighthouse than the structure itself,  which I think is more closely associated with nautical uses. 

Here's an example of something more in that vein: 
spacer.png

• Like 5

2 hours ago, chcarlson23 said:

With this being the case, maybe a lantern would be a better choice for the logo.

That said, I did a quick Google Image Search for "church beacon" and pretty much every logo that came up uses a lighthouse.

• Like 1

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

On 8/11/2021 at 7:02 AM, SCL said:

The name is fine, the lighthouse makes zero sense. I am guessing this logo, which works for beacons, remains the most prominent.

spacer.png

A raised hand holding a torch was probably not considered due to the reason they changed their name in the first place but something like the Raiders Al Davis flame could have worked. I like the shield logo though. 

• Like 1

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Valparaiso debated going with an angry anthropomorphic Ark of the Covenant shooting laser beams and destroying Nazis but then they ultimately chose a different studio besides Brandiose. The alt was a smirking squirrel with a bullwhip and fedora.

• Like 8

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, panthers_2012 said:

Capital (DIII, OAC) are becoming the Comets.

spacer.pngIt looks like they based the comet off of the Ohio State flag. I like the name and looking at the logo more, I like it.

I like this. I don't know how those who work in or are otherwise educated in design would evaluate it, but it's striking this nice balance of busy, ambiguity, and familiarity (i.e. the state flag, as panthers_2012 pointed out.).

Fun fact: I went to Marietta, which is also in the OAC.

2 hours ago, Ted Cunningham said:

I like this. I don't know how those who work in or are otherwise educated in design would evaluate it, but it's striking this nice balance of busy, ambiguity, and familiarity (i.e. the state flag, as panthers_2012 pointed out.).

Fun fact: I went to Marietta, which is also in the OAC.

I went to BW! AwwwJackets!

But the best name is the OAC is the Fighting Muskies. I want to see what Capital comes up for the mascot. Maybe a spaceman?

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png

This is the “Can I copy your homework? Sure just change it a little” meme with the Blue Jackets.  

We want a C, a star, and the Ohio flag… but we need it to be different enough so we won’t face legal action.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, stumpygremlin said:

My relatively uneducated hunch: they're a D3 school. They will probably run through that cycle of uniforms through at least this academic year.

Yeah, they said they're rolling it out throughout the year.

I know BW took a while to update certain parts of campus with their new logo back in 2009.

One part was by the concession stand at the main gym. They had this logo, only the yellow jacket, painted on the wall for about 8 or so years (2009-2018 or 2019) until they repainted it with the current logo.

spacer.png

Fun fact, that logo (just the yellow jacket) is still used for IT and it's still on the marching band uniforms🤣

spacer.png

jCMXRTJ.png.c7b9b888fd36f93c327929ec580f08dc.png