College athletics identity changes

Burkell007

On 10/7/2021 at 8:31 PM, panthers_2012 said:

Yeah, they said they're rolling it out throughout the year.

I know BW took a while to update certain parts of campus with their new logo back in 2009.

One part was by the concession stand at the main gym. They had this logo, only the yellow jacket, painted on the wall for about 8 or so years (2009-2018 or 2019) until they repainted it with the current logo.

spacer.png

Fun fact, that logo (just the yellow jacket) is still used for IT and it's still on the marching band uniforms🤣

Hot take:

That old yellow jacket is better than the current one:

Baldwin Wallace University

• Like 1

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2021 at 3:54 PM, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Hopefully the new Comets branding can fix this.  Oof.

spacer.png

How is that even allowed? Doesn't the NCAA have rules that require uniform numbers to actually be legible? I know college football teams have sometimes been forced to change number colors that were a lot more readable than that.

• Like 2

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

6 hours ago, stumpygremlin said:

Speaking of schools dropping "Crusaders," Evangel University, an NAIA school in Springfield, Missouri, dropped the Crusaders nickname in favor of Valor. So the teams will now be known as the Evangel Valor.

New logo:

Evangel University unveiled a new mascot Wednesday.

Should have been the Evil Angels 

• Like 1

On 10/25/2021 at 10:00 AM, Lights Out said:

How is that even allowed? Doesn't the NCAA have rules that require uniform numbers to actually be legible? I know college football teams have sometimes been forced to change number colors that were a lot more readable than that.

They've proven not to care as much when it's not their big revenue sports, or anything not FBS football or Division I basketball. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 3 weeks later...

UCF unveiled a new "Knightro" logo, now forward facing. I think it is an improvement over the old one, definitely a good "modernization" so to speak. Looks like they carried over some elements as well (plume on top, general shape/resemblance). Only nitpick is that the divide/black space between the visor and mask parts of the helmet needs to be thinned out a bit, too much negative space there.

New Look Knight: UCF releases modern twist on 'Knighthead' logo to prepare  for Big 12 - Orlando Sentinel

Previous knight for comparison:

32 UCF ideas in 2021 | ucf, ucf knights, university of central florida

It's part of a slight* brand update. That Knights script is fantastic, although I think its been used already (football helmets if I remember correctly):

• Like 5

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

15 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

UCF unveiled a new "Knightro" logo, now forward facing. I think it is an improvement over the old one, definitely a good "modernization" so to speak. Looks like they carried over some elements as well (plume on top, general shape/resemblance). Only nitpick is that the divide/black space between the visor and mask parts of the helmet needs to be thinned out a bit, too much negative space there.

New Look Knight: UCF releases modern twist on 'Knighthead' logo to prepare  for Big 12 - Orlando Sentinel

Ah, letting Illustrator do the heavy lifting on the stroke work, I see. (The point on that feather is looking a bit too straight/automatic.)

• Like 3

16 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

It's part of a slight* brand update. That Knights script is fantastic, although I think its been used already (football helmets if I remember correctly):

I know it's limited by the shape of the letterform, but the kerning between the K and N is bugging the mess out of me. They really should have tracked the NIGHTS out more to optically match the open space between the K and N.

I also don't care for the shift in shade of [what's supposed to be] gold, but I'm sure that's a stock Nike swatch used for other schools who also have gold as a color. 

Adding that hypocycloid at the point of the neck--and then naming the thing Knightro--was a subtle stroke of genius.

• Like 1

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

17 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

It looks as though they tried to make it appear as both a Knights’ helmet and a football helmet. I feel like the shadow kind of shows that, could just be me.

BROWNS | BUCKEYES | CAVALIERS | INDIANS |

The position of the eyes on the new UCF logo are WAY TOO HIGH relative to the perspective (head slightly looking down).... 

Head_drawing.jpg

head-drawing-reference-3.jpg

I guess the eyes would make sense if the knight wasn't looking down, but then the facemask wouldn't be covering the nose and that would somehow be even dumber. 

EDIT -- couldn't help myself:

OPIQHKUL6NGBFNT7VM6Q53BTYU.jpeg

BjYZoir.png

• Like 4

Just jumping on here to say that UCF stole that script logo.

I designed it back in 2017 for Hickory Christian Academy in Hickory, NC. You can see it all over their website. 
http://hickorychristianacademy.com/hca-athletics/

This is part of the branding proposal I sent to them:
spacer.png

I've already been in touch with their brand directors to find out how they ended up with it.

Edited by dubiouselemental
clarification