College athletics identity changes

Burkell007

On 1/30/2019 at 2:51 PM, MJWalker45 said:

https://www.uniswag.com/blog/retro-weekend-for-pitt-athletics

Placing here because this fits better here than in college basketball. All of Pitt's teams will be wearing blue and yellow this weekend.

DyLsNyjX4AcEthh.jpg

Why they don't just go back to this full time is beyond me

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Cal U (California University of Pennsylvania, Division II) Vulcans revealed their new athletics logos yesterday.  Source

VulcanLogo.png-->  maxresdefault.jpgmain_logo_89.svg

While they're not the only Vulcans in the NCAA, I think it's safe for them to brand under the name instead of Cal U which I'm sure many have confused with the state of California.

• Like 4

I brought this up in General Design but since the change is being slowly implemented on social media it probably belongs in here. Loyola Marymount’s getting a full rebrand for 19/20 as part of a university wide branding system.

OLD:

H9cURbx.png

OTaHTmR.png

NEW:

JdCeh4G.jpg

mbrNQYJ.jpg

VmWIn6B.png

On 2/22/2019 at 7:55 AM, Earl said:

Cal U (California University of Pennsylvania, Division II) Vulcans revealed their new athletics logos yesterday.  Source

While they're not the only Vulcans in the NCAA, I think it's safe for them to brand under the name instead of Cal U which I'm sure many have confused with the state of California.

Having went to high school in PA, the fun fact here is that PA has a "Cal U" and an "Indiana (Pa) U". If you say that you went to "Cal" or "Indiana"...most natives immediately think you went to the Pa State school rather than thinking you're a Golden Bear or Hoosier.

• Like 1

"This isn't just the Oregon Ducks, it's Football's Future Turf Soldier War Hero Steel Robot Tech Flex Machine Army." -CS85

On 2/22/2019 at 7:55 AM, Earl said:

https://calvulcans.com/news/2019/2/21/general-cal-u-reveals-new-university-athletic-logos.aspx

Let's give Carnegie Dartlet the credit for this

1) That's a gorgeous Vulcan logo

2) I love the hammer hidden in the "C". That can work on its own.

• Like 1

GoldenPanthers.png
RiverHawks.png

On 2/25/2019 at 4:37 PM, agentrygraphics said:

Having went to high school in PA, the fun fact here is that PA has a "Cal U" and an "Indiana (Pa) U". If you say that you went to "Cal" or "Indiana"...most natives immediately think you went to the Pa State school rather than thinking you're a Golden Bear or Hoosier.

I disagree with that completely.  Maybe in western PA that's true, but even if I say "IUP", most people in Phila area have no idea what you're talking about.  Saying "Indiana" is even worse.  I'm fairly certain even fewer people (again, in east PA) have ever heard of Cal U of PA, especially since it doesn't have a any kind of common initialization.

• Like 1

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Hopefully this turns out well because looking at their prior logo history, their track record isn't good. Who was their prior graphic design firm? A kindergarten class?

MetsChiefsEspnSig.gif

College sports as we know them are just about dead. The lid is off on all the corruption that taints just about every major program and every decision that the schools or the NCAA make is only about money, money, and more money. We'll have three 16+ team super-conferences sooner rather than later, killing much of the regional flair and traditional rivalries that make college sports unique and showing the door to any school that doesn't bring money to the table in the process. Pretty soon the smaller schools are going to have to consider forming their own sanctioning body to keep the true spirit of college sports alive because the NCAA will only get worse in it's excess from here