Belgian Pro League Concept: Reviving Defunct Clubs (17/08 Champions Cup Concept + Daring Third Kit Added)

Xibalba

Inspired by many good concept threads on here, especially PascalHugo’s excellent Alternate Universe, I will try my hand at creating a football league concept from scratch but with a twist.  

My intent is to create a 16 team Football league consisting of defunct historic Belgian teams, trying to imagine how these clubs would look like in the modern age. Most of the logos and kits will be modern revamps of existing logos and designs.

To start off, here’s the branding for this incarnation of the Belgian Pro League.

4l14d1.jpg

Project Index

1. Project Intro & League Logo
  2. Daring & Racing Club de Bruxelles
  3. Stade Leuven
  4. THOR Waterschei
  5. KFC Winterslag
  6. KSK Beveren
  7. KSV Waregem
  8. Matchday Graphics

Where better to begin then with the capital, Brussels. the city  has always been a hotbed for football and while Antwerp may have the oldest club in the country, teams from Brussels have always been at the top of the domestic league from its inception until now, albeit with different clubs dominating different decades. Today I’ll will be focusing on two clubs from the beginning of Belgian Football. Daring Club and Racing Club de Bruxelles. Two rivals who later became part of the same club.

Daring Club de Bruxelles (Molenbeek)

Daring Club de Bruxelles, later known as Daring Club de Molenbeek was a football club from Molenbeek, Brussels. It was founded in 1895 and was the second team to register with the F.A, hence why it got the matricule number 2. It won 5 championships between 1912 and 1937.

15ch929.jpg

Logo

I kept the overall design of the logo, but tried to modernize it. The interlocking rings are a staple of logo design for clubs based in Brussels. The club got the royal prefix for their 25th anniversary, Most clubs who have this prefix do incorporate a crown into the logo. I also incorporated the matricule number in the design, since it is a prestigious thing for clubs. Founded in 1895, the club was the second team to register with the FA, hence why they got the number 2.

Kits

For the Home shirt I went with the classic Red and Black stripes and seen on early ads for the club back in the 1920's. The shirt also has a polo collar to finish it's old school look. It is worn with blacks shorts and black socks. The away short has a pattern that's modeled after Porto's 13/17 third kit featuring the same striking pattern but with little red and black accents. It is worn with white shorts and white socks. The kit supplier is New Balance and the sponsor is supermarket group Delhaize.   

2nw1qn4.png

Racing Club de Bruxelles

Racing Club de Bruxelles was a football club from Brussels and was founded in 1894. It was the sixth club to register with the Belgian FA and got the matricule number 6. In the early days of football it was the most successful club in Brussels. They won 6 domestic titles between 1897 and 1908. The hockey and athletics branch of the club still exist today.

fuu90w.jpg

Logo

For this logo I decided to blend the old historical logo with that for the current hockey team. The roundel and stylized crown are part of the hockey team logo and the crest in the center is inspired by the original Racing Club logo.

What happened to these clubs?

In the 1950’s Racing eventually found themselves in the third tier. In 1963 they merged with White Star AC to become Royal Racing White. This team would have a modest amount of success on the pitch but they would fail to attract a large following.

Daring survived longer in the top flight of Belgian football, but was ultimately relegated to the second tier in 1969. Despite this the club still had a large and loyal following.

This is where our two teams meet. Club officials of both teams wanted to create a second brussels team that was capable with competing at the top levels of the game. In 1973 both clubs merged and Racing White Daring Molenbeek or RWDM was born. During the that decade the club became contenders in the league, winning the league during the 74/75 season and played regularly in European competitions. But accumulating debt and mismanagement led to RWDM declaring bankruptcy in 2002. Several attempts have been tried to revive the club. It’s third incarnation currently plays in the First Amateur Division, the third tier of Belgian Football.  

Author's Note 27/07: Did some minor tweaks on both logo's, this time the colors are correct. 

Author's Note 29/07: Redid the way the logo's where presented

You have a nice concept here. I like the logos, but I'm not sure about having "2" and "Matricule 6" on them. It looks unnecessary to me. Maybe adding some stones to the crown of RDC and the name Brussels to the lower part of RRC.

If you are interested in templates, I suggest you give a try in creating one. The most common around is from Raysox, but it's sadly outdated. The designs are from 2016-17 catalogs. With a good supply of photos, jersey designs and reference drawings, you can do better jerseys.

BTW, do you think you'll have some game simulation/results generation? If not, your topic will be probably moved to concepts area. My current project was moved for the same reason.

1 hour ago, JohnnyRfl said:

You have a nice concept here. I like the logos, but I'm not sure about having "2" and "Matricule 6" on them. It looks unnecessary to me. Maybe adding some stones to the crown of RDC and the name Brussels to the lower part of RRC.

Thanks! Maybe you're right. I noticed that something went wrong with the colors, they look a lot brighter then they do in my original image I so I do need to go back to change some things. Maybe I can implement some of your suggestions. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyRfl said:

If you are interested in templates, I suggest you give a try in creating one. The most common around is from Raysox, but it's sadly outdated. The designs are from 2016-17 catalogs. With a good supply of photos, jersey designs and reference drawings, you can do better jerseys.

I could try this but I'm not sure if it will work. Maybe I can come up with something in Illustrator. 

1 hour ago, crashcarson15 said:

Yep, slid this over to the main Concepts forum -- the emphasis here seems a lot more on the design, so it's a better fit there.

Thanks! Since it is my first time starting a thread, so I wasn't aware that I posted in the wrong subforum. 

Oh my, I would never have expected to see a concept like this here.
(As a Belgian myself, I'm quite hyped.)

In my opinion, one of the hardest trick when you do concept in Belgium is to keep the crown feature fresh and interesting, since it will have to be included on most of the badges.
Anyway, it's a great start and I'm curious to see who's next.

For the second entry in this series, we are going to stay around the Brussels and head towards the university town of Leuven, Vlaams-Brabant.  

Koninklijke Stade Leuven was a Belgian Football team from Leuven. It was founded in 1903 and only played one season in the highest tier of Belgian Football. 

For the most of it's existence it played in second tier. despite this it was the most successful club from the city of Leuven, with it's cross town rival Daring Leuven sliding down to the provincial levels in the late 70's.  

331ojo3.jpg

Logo

For this logo I tried to keep the original design, only implementing some minor tweaks such as incorporating the club's full name, and stylizing some of the minor elements such as the scarf atop of the crest and the ball. 

Kits

For the home kit I went with a white shirt with green pinstripes based on the Bayer Leverkusen 18/19 Away Kit. It is worn with green shorts and green socks. The away shirt is an all green affair with fading dark green stripes paired with white shorts and white socks. The kit supplier is Jako and the main sponsor is King Power. 

2z6v9u8.png

What happened to this club?

After spending about 30 seasons in the second tier, things were looking bad for Stade. They found themselves bouncing around between the fourth and third tier. All this time spend away from the higher divisions proved to be a strain on the financial shape of the club. In 2002, things looked so bad that the city council feared that there would be no football club from the town at all in the higher levels. So they merged with Daring Leuven and Zwarte Duivels F.C from the nearby town of Oud-Heverlee to become Oud-Heverlee Leuven. OHL started play in the Third Division and made it's way up the football ladder, reaching the Jupiler Pro League in 2014. At the end of the 15-16 season the club was again relegated to the Second Tier, in which they still play. In 2016 they where taken over by the King Power Group who already own Leicester City. Just last month the club reclaimed Stade's matricule number 18, making OHL the official successor club.    

Map

21cttab.jpg

I didn't like it this time. As a design piece it's nice and works like a charm, but it's lacking in meaning.

Your team is named primarily "Stade" (as you refer it), but you're emphasizing "Leuven" instead in the logo. I'd maybe enlarge the name, putting it in the second line with Leuven. The crown on the logo does not represent a Royal (Koninklijke) Crown. It's more like a princely oneI'm not buying that green, it looks unexpressive to me. Are you sticking with a CMYK palette? Otherwise than that, you says the team was founded in 1903, but the logo says 1913.

PS.: Noticed you updated RDC and RRC logos, and they are even more gorgeous!

These logos are really well executed. I appreciate the flat, clean aesthetic you've got going here.

So far I think you're doing a really good job with making the crowns both pretty and unique.

My only concern would be if you were to overuse the single dark color + white schemes. I'd like to see some more pops of color!

I like the kelly green in Leuven's original logo; maybe make Leuven a dark green + light green team...

or maybe make Royal Racing Club's crown gold again...

Still, everything looks pretty great as is. I'd be excited to see kits, if you decide to do that!

Guest darkpiranha

GREAT series so far.  Can't wait to see where this goes.  

I echo vtgco in that while the monocolor aesthetic is definitely clean and modern-feeling, I miss the pops of color from the original logos, especially Royal Racing's gold crown.  But.... Royal Daring Club also already has a gold crown, so I can see how that can seem repetitive.  

Anyway, great stuff.  More please.

First of all, I'd like to thank everybody for their kind words and feedback on the project! Over the course of the next few weeks, I'm going to try to update the post to include each teams kits, since I found some templates I can use. 

THOR Waterschei

Koninklijke Waterschei SV THOR was a Belgian football team hailing from Genk, Limburg. It was founded in 1919 by workers of a mine company. To protest Francophone rule of the mine, they named their club Tot Herstel Onze Rechten what means as much as until our rights are restored. The club colors of black and yellow where also a nod to the Flemish flag. They reached the highest level of Belgian Football in 1954 but where relegated in 1956. Until 1978 the club played in the second division but during the late seventies trough the early eighties the club had a renaissance, becoming a regular in the first division and winning the Belgian Cup in 1980 and 1982. During this time they also had several European campaigns. 

333yf89.jpg

Logo

For this one I didn't really change much since I liked the simplicity of the original. I just simplified some elements but that's about it. The lettering was also something I really wanted to keep, since it's the centerpiece of the original.   

Kits

The home kit is modeled on the one THOR wore during it's heyday. It's yellow with several black accents, most notably the black retro v-neck. The shirt is supplemented with yellow shorts and black socks. Like during those time the kits are supplied by Adidas. The away kit is much more modern as it features the 18/19 Adidas away pattern. The kit is blue with yellow accents. It is worn with blue shorts and blue socks. 

2ex1t05.png

What happened to this club?

While the club was financially stable and a fixture in the top tier in Belgian football, it became involved in the match fixing scandal also known as the Bellemans Affair in which Standard de Liege gave all THOR players 30.000 Francs to lose the last game of the season, and let to Standard becoming Champions. In 1986 the club went down to the second division again and in 1988 the club merged with KFC Winterslag (Wich will be included in this series) to become KRC Genk. The resulting club went on to have a decent amount of succes. 

Map

2h2fpts.jpg

KFC Winterslag

Koninklijke Football Club Winterslag was a Belgian football team from Winterslag, Limburg. The club was founded in 1923 and like it's crosstown rival THOR, it also had ties to the local coal mine. After WWII, the club first made into the national division. Starting in the third tier of national football in 1946, eventually the club reached the second tier and stayed up for three seasons until they went down again. During the 1970's the club was  on the rise, working their way up the footballing ladder. In 1974, Winterslag reached the top tier of Belgian football for the first time in it's history and from 1976 on the club became a regular in the top league. During the early 80's the club had a brief successful spell in Europe, managing to knockout Arsenal from the tournament.  

2qwo7y0.jpg

The logo

Like I did with the other logos, I tried to keep as much of the original intact. Logo's like the original where really fine examples of classic Belgian football logo design, it also reminds me of Club Brugge's retro logo, so maybe that why I have a soft spot for stuff like this. I've added an elegant stylized crown in the mix and also redid the color scheme of the ball. 

Kits

hu4uuf.jpg

The Kits

The home kit is based on the shirts worn in the 1980/81 season and has a distinct retro collar and black details in the sleeves with gold elements used throughout the kit to create a consistent look. It is paired with black shorts and hooped socks. The away kit has a black and red lines running trough the width of the shirt and sleeves and boasts a mandarin collar, it is worn with white shorts and white socks. The manufactures is Macron and the sponsor is LUCA School of Arts, which has a campus on the former Winterslag mine site. 

What happened to the club?  

Unlike it's rival THOR, Winterslag managed to stay in the first division of Belgian football during the eighties. but do to financial restraints the club merged with THOR to become KRC Genk, which are now among the G5 (Grote Vijf or Top Five) clubs of the Belgian Pro League. 

Map

256wjvd.jpg

Overall I like Winterslag's look. I would've personally left the ball white, as it was in the historic logo, it provides more visual contrast and interest. Or, better yet, make it two-tone, as it is in your design, but instead of being red and black, I would try white and black/red (whatever looks best). Also, I think this is the best crown so far :D 

Archived