MLB Relocation? Naw...

Mac the Knife

2 minutes ago, the admiral said:

I don't have too many grievances with Miller Park but when they close the "blinds" in addition to the roof, it gets pretty Troppy:

2078.jpg

Here's a better comparison:

WIBWvOA.jpg

VmWIn6B.png

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, the admiral said:

Oh, Milwaukee summers are fine, you big baby. We're by a big lake! Go to St. Louis in July, it's like crawling up a fat guy's ass.

Half of Milwaukee is a giant swamp. It's why we're good for a major sinkhole every 5 years or so.

So unless you're close enough to the lake to catch a breeze (which the Menominee Valley/Miller Park certainly is not), it has the opposite effect of dumping even more humidity into the air. 

Safeco field just seems perfect.

I used to be "sports should be played outside dammit!", but now that i'm old, I can't deal with "should we go or not because it could storm" or games that are rained out, or just plain being uncomfortable.  I really dislike the look of full domes, and I HATE HATE HATE Miller Park, Chase Field, Marlins, Enron, etc., but Safeco seems to have nailed it with their big "umbrella".

I almost want to take a trip to seattle just to see it in person - that and Seahawks stadium, but for different reasons.  Granted I've never been, but Seattle seems to have among the best combo football/baseball stadium situation in the country.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

In a world with the Jerrydome and the spaceship in Atlanta, Century Link is basically quaint. Perfectly serviceable for football with great sightlines, but it'll be sooner than later than someone says it needs to be replaced. 

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

Safeco field just seems perfect.

I used to be "sports should be played outside dammit!", but now that i'm old, I can't deal with "should we go or not because it could storm" or games that are rained out, or just plain being uncomfortable.  I really dislike the look of full domes, and I HATE HATE HATE Miller Park, Chase Field, Marlins, Enron, etc., but Safeco seems to have nailed it with their big "umbrella".

I almost want to take a trip to seattle just to see it in person - that and Seahawks stadium, but for different reasons.  Granted I've never been, but Seattle seems to have among the best combo football/baseball stadium situation in the country.

I've been to a couple of Mariners game. I loved the stadium experience. 

And, yes, I hate Chase Field -- been there once. It sucks. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

8 hours ago, DG_Now said:

In a world with the Jerrydome and the spaceship in Atlanta, Century Link is basically quaint. Perfectly serviceable for football with great sightlines, but it'll be sooner than later than someone says it needs to be replaced. 

A shame too, because that might be the best stadium in the entire NFL, non-Lambeau division. Amazing sightlines, attractive design, fans on top of the action, and louder than a 747 at full blast. I wish all stadiums were designed with similar principles to Century Link.

On 7/31/2018 at 7:11 AM, Cardsblues02 said:

I know you might not believe this, but I don’t actually dislike the Brewers. I just like seeing you get angry about my random comments about the Brewers. The Brewers are just another NL team to me...but I know I can make you mad so I do it! If you can’t tell, I bring up the Brewers in most discussions that I know you will be a part of. I guess I should put it to an end, as it has maybe gone too far. Now back to the topic

I’m looking forward to attending the current ballpark this week. I was kind of upset when I heard of them tearing it down. Maybe I’ll get some insight on why it needed to go first hand. I’m sure it will be HOT.

Jerry World is right next door so it looks like that old lady's home between skyscrapers now.Not really, but it doesn't provide much shade during day games. The way the weather's been this year it might be pretty cool by the time you're here. July and August seemed to have swapped places this year. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

On 8/2/2018 at 6:08 PM, DNAsports said:

Everything that qualifies as a rumor and a bit of bologna, but a stadium lease that ends after the 2021 season and the whole MASN debacle with the Nationals could make Baltimore Oriole-less.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-schmuck-orioles-relocation-20180622-story,amp.html

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportstalkflorida.com/uncategorized/the-baltimore-orioles-moving-in-2022-thats-a-rumor/amp/

The new lease should already be signed, sealed, and delivered. No questions. As far as the MASN crap, good lord Angelos need to get off his gold plated high horse and make the revenue sharing 50/50 not the horrendous 90/10 that it currently is. Worse comes to worse, the Nationals could sign a deal with NBC Sports Washington. The network already airs Wizards and Capitals games to go along with Redskins preseason games. Adding the last remaining DC Area big four team certainly wouldn't hurt.

Going back to 1954, Baltimore was at the time Senators' "territory" and the rights back then were bought much cheaper.  Baltimore's part-owner, Hoffberger, who was President of Natty Boh beer, agreed to pay for radio and TV advertising in the DC area.  When the Senators left in '71, MLB officially ceded their area to Baltimore.  The 90/10 split was the deal MLB agreed to when moving the Nats into what was Baltimore "territory" at the time Angelos bought the team in 1993. The split increases 1%/year, with the Nationals maxing out at 33%.  Today, they're around 18%.  Reportedly, Angelos has tried to settle the MASN business offering the Nationals almost their 33% now but it has been turned down a few times.  Given the MASN arrangement, until it is dissolved, the Nationals are bound to broadcast on that network.

13 hours ago, Bill81361 said:

Going back to 1954, Baltimore was at the time Senators' "territory" and the rights back then were bought much cheaper.  Baltimore's part-owner, Hoffberger, who was President of Natty Boh beer, agreed to pay for radio and TV advertising in the DC area.  When the Senators left in '71, MLB officially ceded their area to Baltimore.  The 90/10 split was the deal MLB agreed to when moving the Nats into what was Baltimore "territory" at the time Angelos bought the team in 1993. The split increases 1%/year, with the Nationals maxing out at 33%.  Today, they're around 18%.  Reportedly, Angelos has tried to settle the MASN business offering the Nationals almost their 33% now but it has been turned down a few times.  Given the MASN arrangement, until it is dissolved, the Nationals are bound to broadcast on that network.

I'm no Peter Angelos apologist.  However, I think a large part of the MASN dispute is buyers' remorse on the part of MLB and the Nationals because Angelos negotiated a really good deal for himself.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

St. Louis might be a special case because of the Edward Jones Dome and the way the Rams used a loophole escape to LA, but the people of STL refused to fund a $100M MLS stadium. The days of public ally funded stadiums are hopefully over. The amount of money teams and leagues make is widely available, and St. Louis and now Miami serve as cautionary tales. Don’t be taken hostage by a professional sports teams, they can afford their playgrounds. 

24 minutes ago, Brandon9485 said:

Edward Jones Dome and the way the Rams used a loophole escape to LA

Having a terribly lopsided lease in favor of the tenant isn't exactly a "loophole".

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/5/2018 at 2:39 AM, Gothamite said:

Only that it is a terrible ballpark. 

First of all, it’s not a great place to watch a ballgame.  Very few seats afford a full view of the action, including the press box.

It’s soulless, with its brick-and-sage color scheme apparently designed to avoid team colors at all costs.  The interior layout is odd, with large patches of unused space just sitting there, like the industrial wasteland outside the club shop in left field.  And all the while, the outfield is so cramped that they don’t have proper bleachers.  The scoreboard/batter’s eye in center is so close to the action that it feels bent and artificially pushed-in, like a car with a dented front end or the flat face of a Persian cat.  The park simply has too much empty space in some places, and not enough room to breathe in others. 

And then there’s that roof.  Looming over the action even when open, it dominates the park.  It casts terrible shadows.  The support structure means that the outfield always feels closed and claustrophobic, even when the sliding panels are actually open.  

I understand why they built Miller Park.  I’m glad that they did build Miller Park.  But viewed on its own merits Miller Park falls very flat, and I’ll be very glad when it’s finally replaced. 

You just described the city of Milwaukee!

On 8/2/2018 at 6:08 PM, DNAsports said:

Everything that qualifies as a rumor and a bit of bologna, but a stadium lease that ends after the 2021 season and the whole MASN debacle with the Nationals could make Baltimore Oriole-less.

So here's the solution...

- The Arizona Diamondbacks, who aren't going to get a new subsidized stadium, become...

- The Baltimore Orioles, who have a nice stadium but revenue issues, so they in turn become...

- The Seattle Mariners, who give up their nice stadium and decent revenues to become...

- The Arizona Diamondbacks?

Anyone for the Baltimore Diamondbacks?  The Seattle Orioles?  The Arizona Mariners?

nav-logo.png

Archived