TheFallenHaveRisen

New York Jets are confirmed to be getting new uniforms in 2019

20 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

Helmets do, in fact, get repainted.. even if changing color for most teams.. although, at the NFL level, they would most likely purchase new helmets that are molded the correct color.. it's possible (and even likely)  that they would still send the old batch off though.. perhaps as part of a trade-in program, etc.. 

Point being, whether the shell is changing color or not, they have no reason to hang onto a full stock of white shells

well, they said "off for a makeover". if it were just decals or a different mask, or any kind of offseason reconditioning, they wouldnt be putting this out with the hint that "they're changing". i believe we're in for a different shell color

31 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

Helmets do, in fact, get repainted.. even if changing color for most teams.. although, at the NFL level, they would most likely purchase new helmets that are molded the correct color.. it's possible (and even likely)  that they would still send the old batch off though.. perhaps as part of a trade-in program, etc.. 

Point being, whether the shell is changing color or not, they have no reason to hang onto a full stock of white shells

very cool/interesting. thanks for the insight!

44 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

i believe we're in for a different shell color

It's Bone.

And the lettering is something called Silian Rail.

2 minutes ago, Survival79 said:

It's Bone.

And the lettering is something called Silian Rail.

you cheeky bastard 

I would be interested and not totally surprised if they ended up with something like this 

https://imgur.com/a/K7sGyIb

Although i don't think a return to that wordmark is likely. But will they go in a completely new direction  as far as the logo goes?

52 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

well, they said "off for a makeover". if it were just decals or a different mask, or any kind of offseason reconditioning, they wouldnt be putting this out with the hint that "they're changing". i believe we're in for a different shell color

But they can be sent off for standard reconditioning, which involves a fresh coat of paint for most helmets, and still become a different color (or the same color).. in my experience, masks and decals are applied in-house, so they wouldn't be sent off for that.. 

Mainly I was responding to the suggestion that they aren't changing colors because they're sending off the white helmets, rather than purchasing new ones.. I was simply stating that they can send off white shells to remain white, or they can send off white shells to become a different color entirely..

34 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

But they can be sent off for standard reconditioning, which involves a fresh coat of paint for most helmets, and still become a different color (or the same color).. in my experience, masks and decals are applied in-house, so they wouldn't be sent off for that.. 

Mainly I was responding to the suggestion that they aren't changing colors because they're sending off the white helmets, rather than purchasing new ones.. I was simply stating that they can send off white shells to remain white, or they can send off white shells to become a different color entirely..

Assuming it passes recertification what is the maximum shelf life of a helmet shell?

43 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

all true... but why did the Jets put this out? this isn't just a behind the scenes look of a normal day at Camp. they're hinting at change

2 hours ago, Around the Horn said:

Didn't the Jaguars send off their gold shells to be painted black or am I mistaken?

If I were a betting man, I'd guess they sent off their black shells that had metallic gold and matte black paint on them to be painted gloss black

3 hours ago, BrandMooreArt said:

all true... but why did the Jets put this out? this isn't just a behind the scenes look of a normal day at Camp. they're hinting at change

I think you're agreeing with me..

Someone mentioned that they're likely NOT changing since they're sending off white shells, by suggesting that they would instead just buy new shells in the new color.. I simply pointed out a few reasons/scenarios to the contrary.. they are just as likely to be changing colors as they are keeping them the same.. I don't see any evidence to suggest one or the other from this (apart from the fact that they took the time to put this out, as you mentioned).. 

3 hours ago, guest23 said:

Assuming it passes recertification what is the maximum shelf life of a helmet shell?

NOCSAE sets the max life of a helmet shell at 10 yrs, under optimal conditions (reconditioning and recertification every 1-2 years).. of course damage to the shell discovered in the inspection during the recertification process results in rejection at any point along that 10-year timeline..

To put the "reconditioning" posts to bed:

This one and the previous one both had #JetsNewUnis on it. 

Just now, WavePunter said:

<Multiple posts about reconditioning>

Any reason they would take the logos off but not the stripes before shipping them out for reconditioning?

6 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Any reason they would take the logos off but not the stripes before shipping them out for reconditioning?

It's possible the stripes are painted.. otherwise, I have no idea.. I wouldn't bother taking any of it off personally

1 hour ago, WavePunter said:

I think you're agreeing with me..

Someone mentioned that they're likely NOT changing since they're sending off white shells, by suggesting that they would instead just buy new shells in the new color.. I simply pointed out a few reasons/scenarios to the contrary.. they are just as likely to be changing colors as they are keeping them the same.. I don't see any evidence to suggest one or the other from this (apart from the fact that they took the time to put this out, as you mentioned).. 

right, i dont dispute any of the technical reasons why a team could send their helmets off at this time of year. but this is a part of the Jets story of their new uniform. they're showing us the helmets are leaving and saying "out with the old" and "makeover". it would be very anti-climatic for them to come back with "in with the new" and the helmet is still white. if the helmet were not part of a significant change, there would be no reason for them to show us this BTS process.

8 minutes ago, BrandMooreArt said:

right, i dont dispute any of the technical reasons why a team could send their helmets off at this time of year. but this is a part of the Jets story of their new uniform. they're showing us the helmets are leaving and saying "out with the old" and "makeover". it would be very anti-climatic for them to come back with "in with the new" and the helmet is still white. if the helmet were not part of a significant change, there would be no reason for them to show us this BTS process.

I don't disagree, but i do think it would be a misstep to use an entirely-white inventory of helmets as the base shell for differently-colored paint (green, for instance), as any chipping during the season would be very noticable.. it would be more likely for them to get green shells, then paint them the exact shade/finish, so that any damage to the paint is less noticable...

Which brings me to my next point.. each of these helmets is tagged - not just generally, but specifically down to a certain player - which would suggest that the Jets intend on reissuing each of those current helmets to their designated players.. it seems, in my opinion of course, that it would not be the best idea for all of those factors to align due to the issues with paint chipping and scratching being so noticable.. although, as I stated previously, it's certainly possible

Looks like stripes might be painted on. Top left pic shows some overspray