TheFallenHaveRisen

New York Jets are confirmed to be getting new uniforms in 2019

12 hours ago, joey joe joe jr. shabadoo said:

I'm ok with it. It's a natural evolution. The colors are lighter, brighter. It isn't some zany BS out of the Seahawks, Bucs, or Jags playbook. It looks like it's going to be an update. A cleaned up improvement but not something that will result in us being uni laughingstocks. We're laughingstocks in everything else but that leak gave me hope.

Let it be boring, whatever. As long as it's not bizarre. All that ever leads to is redesigns 5 years later

Its going to bizzare and boring. 

2 hours ago, AgentColon2 said:

Would you prefer boring uniforms with a wacky font or wacky uniforms with a traditional font?

Definitely the former. 99% of people look good in a solid colored garment regardless of what the typeface on it looks like.

Not even a solid typeface can make colored armpit panels look good on Average Joe.

2 hours ago, AgentColon2 said:

Would you prefer boring uniforms with a wacky font or wacky uniforms with a traditional font?

In general, I'd say the first, but it would depend how wacky we're talking.  The Buccaneers font would destroy Penn State's uniform.

23 hours ago, Bucfan56 said:

I kinda feel like the amount we’ve seen so far is usually what we end up seeing before every reveal. Nike in particular is usually REALLY good at keeping this stuff under wraps, and off the top of my head, I can’t really think of any of these NFL uniforms that have full out leaked really early. We may see a few items here and there a few days before the reveal, because it’s really hard to control what vendors do (no matter how much they may be threatened beforehand). But I don’t think we’ve ever gotten a really significant NFL leak this far out in the Nike era. 

Off the top of my head (correct me if I’m wrong) we’ve had nine teams change in the Nike era. 

Vikings - Nothing till the day of

Lions - Rumors of more gray and no black, but no real leaks

Browns - A vendor leaked the jerseys a day or two early

Bucs - They released their logos early, but the uniforms came out day of the reveal or just before

Jags - Everything we heard ahead of time they told us

Titans - Day of, I think.

Dolphins - Day of

Jets - We’ll see

Seahawks - Day of, I think? And that was the very first one

I wouldn’t expect to see much until the reveal date. 

The first Jags/Vikings redesign the teams put out teaser images a few weeks before. The Vikings and Dolphins actually got leaked because of the Jags unveiling. The second Nike redesign of the Jags unis leaked over 2 months early. I had the new uniform images (number color changed from teal to white) February 12th, they unveiled them April 19th. The new tweaks for the Dolphins were pretty much described on here numerous times before they were shown to the public. So we might start getting leaks of the upcoming Jets unis shortly.

Came upon another oldie.

Jets logo looked so much better with the pointed football shape rather than the oval-shaped rugby ball since 1998, IMO.

* Assumption:

NY Jets at Houston

Week 7 

20-OCT-1968

Astrodome -- Houston-TX

JETS 20 - OILERS 14 

afdaa7dc04ce16799caeb1a372aea690.jpg?b=t

1 minute ago, ARTnSocal said:

Came upon another oldie.

Jets logo looked so much better with the pointed football shape rather than the oval-shaped rugby ball since 1998, IMO.

NY Jets at Houston

Week 7 

16-SEP-1966

Rice Stadium -- Houston-TX

OILERS 24 - JETS 0 

afdaa7dc04ce16799caeb1a372aea690.jpg?b=t

I'm guessing this was preseason, but that's weird to see two different jerseys during an actual game.

7 minutes ago, ARTnSocal said:

Week 7 

20-OCT-1968

5 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

I'm guessing this was preseason, but that's weird to see two different jerseys during an actual game.

On 2/16/2019 at 11:29 AM, MJWalker45 said:

The sub-title wasn't very precise, it only stated 1967, but they didn't play each other in Houston during the regular season in 1967, so I assumed it was from 1968.

I didn't think preseason because you can't see any empty seats in the photo, and it's hard to believe they'd get a crowd like that for a preaseason game, but I could be wrong. What threw me off for preseason was that many AFL teams didn't have nobs on the back of their jerseys during preaseason, yet Matt Snell does but Namath doesn't and he's wearing what seems to be a practice jersey. Somewhat odd .. 

It also read in the sub-title 'Rice Stadium', but that's AstroTurf in the photo, and I already had edited it as you were responding. 

1 hour ago, AndrewMLind said:

I never saw this picture before so I figured it was preseason. I also ran across video of the game through their Twitter feed that shows Namath in his regular jersey at the end of the game. 69 or 70 maybe?

On 2/15/2019 at 2:20 PM, DeFrank said:

Yeah, at the airport.

Edit: actually also before that. We saw these, which were definitely quasi-legit, even earlier:

DXd28iJVQAETE0n.jpg:large

This was one of three different styles they were down to, this was the one that was posted on here, but the other two weren’t posted on here. The one they ended up with and the other one was pretty much the same without the stripe near the collar. I described them, but didn’t want to be the one to leak the actual pictures. I was sent all of the graphics in the middle of February. The only things different from the final design was the number colors on the home and alternate uniforms and the helmet bumper. 

21 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

I never saw this picture before so I figured it was preseason. I also ran across video of the game through their Twitter feed that shows Namath in his regular jersey at the end of the game. 69 or 70 maybe?

That's a possibility MJ, but I'm thinkin' that only an elder Jets/Titans or Oilers guru could solve that mystery. 

The person who shared that photo only labeled '1967' and 'Tulane Stadium' in the sub-title, but Tulane Stadium had natural grass until 1971, that's when they converted it to the Astroturf and on top of that it just doesn't look like it was outdoors.  Plus I also remember Tulane stadium from an early Super Bowl being a round bowl. The crowd in that photo looks too close to the gridiron for it to be Tulane Stadium.

Anyway, I stumbled upon an old Jets game-program from hosting the Bills in 1966.  Inflation must've set in, the price jumped to 75¢ from 50¢ that previous Jets/Titans programs sold for . . 

BILLS 33 - J-E-T-S 23 . . 🙂

Pretty cool looking game-program with Broadway-Joe in his trademark white cleats:  👇

34f8dda10041965c44ef83d6a9c282a3.jpg?b=t

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The Jets appeared to leak what was gonna be their new logo for the following season in 1964 on this 1963 game-program. In 1964 Shea Stadium opened, yet this game-program doesn't show the green jet-airplane logo they wore and used exclusively in 1963.

I'm thinking that this must've been their alternate logo and they were planning on switching to it as primary for the following season, but that's just my guess. 

CHARGERS 53 - J-E-T-S 7   . . Ouch!!

52262a1b116d866fa134431d19396f15.jpg?b=t

Is there a website of programs around? Old programs are where it's at. Some new ones are good, too. I think it was the Blue Jackets that had some pretty great ones recently. I wish I could find them.

really dont care what the Jets do as long as they cease to look like something time forgot.  the current uniform is not timeless like the Packers or Raiders...it constantly declares 1960s and it just doesnt work anymore.  it disrupts the aesthetic of not just the NFL but of North American pro sports.  hanging onto it is spiteful and only reason they went back to it in 1st place was because of supreme douche Bill Parcells, something else they should want to distance themselves from. any and all folk who defend the uniform on any imaginary merit should just knock it off.  worst logo/uniform in modern NA pro sports (Clippers are a close second- and see what both have in common?  2nd fiddle in their own cities)  

1 hour ago, ephoph said:

really dont care what the Jets do as long as they cease to look like something time forgot.  the current uniform is not timeless like the Packers or Raiders...it constantly declares 1960s and it just doesnt work anymore.  it disrupts the aesthetic of not just the NFL but of North American pro sports.  hanging onto it is spiteful and only reason they went back to it in 1st place was because of supreme douche Bill Parcells, something else they should want to distance themselves from. any and all folk who defend the uniform on any imaginary merit should just knock it off.  worst logo/uniform in modern NA pro sports (Clippers are a close second- and see what both have in common?  2nd fiddle in their own cities)  

Yeah it was odd bringing it back when they did. It's perfectly fine for a throwback, but permanently? Broadway Joe ain't coming back. Move on.

2 hours ago, daveindc said:

Yeah it was odd bringing it back when they did. It's perfectly fine for a throwback, but permanently? Broadway Joe ain't coming back. Move on.

The change in '98 was pretty popular. There was a stink from the Richie Kotite era. Parcells made them a winner...and in the first year of throwbacks, they made the AFC Championship game. 

It was a good look that just didn't age well over the last 10 years.

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

The change in '98 was pretty popular. There was a stink from the Richie Kotite era. Parcells made them a winner...and in the first year of throwbacks, they made the AFC Championship game. 

It was a good look that just didn't age well over the last 10 years.

I'd argue that other than the helmet logo, it was a good look that just fell victim to lousy manufacturers that couldn't (or just wouldn't) fit the design onto a modern template, or get the colors right.

It's a timeless football look that should have been able to have been tweaked just enough to work on today's templates, but neither the team nor Nike cared. 

9 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

I'd argue that other than the helmet logo, it was a good look that just fell victim to lousy manufacturers that couldn't (or just wouldn't) fit the design onto a modern template, or get the colors right.

It's a timeless football look that should have been able to have been tweaked just enough to work on today's templates, but neither the team nor Nike cared. 

Or Reebok, Starter was happy to work with them and if the Jets used that current Starter template it would still work. 

It went from a modern classic,

GettyImages-106402810-e1524846302840-681

to a modern disaster.

usatsi_9781868-e1483797735905.jpg?w=1000

Their uniform was just fine. It was a perfect example of how to correctly do a modern take of a throwback but Nike butchered it. 

This uniform means a lot to me. It’s all I’ve seen them wear since I became a fan when I was 7 and they clinched their most recent division title. I wore my Cherbet and Pennington jersey all the time as a kid, the numbers began to fade. 

Yeah they’ve had many bad embarrassing breaks but who hasn’t? Now what, they’re gonna throw everything away for something “new, exciting, and fire emojis”? Come on man. 

I don’t wanna hear “team has bad history, we should change the uniforms to erase it”. The Browns are all bad history and look what they wear now! The best part about them were their previous classic uniforms but now they have the worst uniforms in football today, probably in NFL history.