Baseball Hall of Fame Plaques: Class of 2018

Baseball Hall of Fame Plaques: Class of 2018

July 30, 2018 - 14:34 PM

This past weekend the National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum in Cooperstown, N.Y. welcomed six players into their club with the induction of the Class of 2018. Vladimir Guerrero, Trevor Hoffman, Chipper Jones, Jack Morris, Jim Thome, and Alan […]

Read More...

Seeing Jack Morris' plaque reminded me that 1994 was the worst year ever for Indians fans. He was aged but still a good presence on that team. We really thought we could win the Series that year and now no one will ever know if we could. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

We can barely talk about the most interesting one of these, I guess, even though it's discussed in the link.

Trammell/Morris/Jones are all no-brainers.

The only question for Hoffman is whether he'd get the current "broken D" logo.  It's a minor point for almost anyone that does not participate on this board but since we are who we are...if it had been me, I'd have insisted on the previous logo because 1) longer part of my career and 2) I hate the broken D.

Vlad played more games in Montreal and while he was great in both places, it looks like his Expos numbers are a bit better.  I I suppose Montreal makes more sense.  I wonder whether that team ceasing to exist is what tipped him.  Also, I'm amazed to know that this is the first Angels cap.

Thome...well, I tend to agree with the idea of capturing history but if Thome himself legitimately does not want his plaque immortalized with a logo that is, at best, tacky, then I think it's OK to honor his wish.  

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 7/30/2018 at 11:23 AM, OnWis97 said:

We can barely talk about the most interesting one of these, I guess, even though it's discussed in the link.

Trammell/Morris/Jones are all no-brainers.

The only question for Hoffman is whether he'd get the current "broken D" logo.  It's a minor point for almost anyone that does not participate on this board but since we are who we are...if it had been me, I'd have insisted on the previous logo because 1) longer part of my career and 2) I hate the broken D.

Vlad played more games in Montreal and while he was great in both places, it looks like his Expos numbers are a bit better.  I I suppose Montreal makes more sense.  I wonder whether that team ceasing to exist is what tipped him.  Also, I'm amazed to know that this is the first Angels cap.

Thome...well, I tend to agree with the idea of capturing history but if Thome himself legitimately does not want his plaque immortalized with a logo that is, at best, tacky, then I think it's OK to honor his wish.  

I think alot of the talk regarding these plaques is that while the HOF tries to honor the players wishes, its the HOF who makes the final decisions.

I got a feeling the HOF wanted Indians for Thome, and since the last Cleveland Uniform he wore was the Block C and the Wahoo IS controversial he went with the C. I got a feeling he would have worn the curvise I if he didn't return in 2011.

With Vlad? I think the HOF saw the MVP season and playoffs and national stage with him and stuck him in the Angels cap. I don't think that was nessesarily fair to Montreal.

If they put Carter in the Expos cap because he made his name there, and went against his Mets wishes they should have stuck Vladdy in that eMb cap. I just wonder why he looks more Pedro Martinez than Vlad Guerrero.

It looks like the last Expo in the HOF will be Dawson, and he told them he wanted to go in as a CUB. Let the players decide again, this farce that Boggs started didn't matter. To me, Boggs ended his career as a Ray, even if it was a :censored:ty reason (being paid). It's not as egregious as Dawson taking a Red Sox cap, or Piazza in a Marlins or A's cap.

Put a stop to that BS, and if Vlady wanted to be in as an Angel- let him say why so we all aren't arguing about it lol.

5cd0422806939bbe71c4668bc7e4fd92.gif

It may not seem like Alan Trammell had much of a choice on what was on his cap being a lifelong Tigers player, but ignoring the color differences between the road and home cap, I believe he did play over 250 games with a different cap logo. I wonder if he strongly preferred the Tigers mid-90s road cap if the Hall would have let him be inducted with that logo.

Tl0mowK.jpg

7 minutes ago, msu said:

It may not seem like Alan Trammell had much of a choice on what was on his cap being a lifelong Tigers player, but ignoring the color differences between the road and home cap, I believe he did play over 250 games with a different cap logo. I wonder if he strongly preferred the Tigers mid-90s road cap if the Hall would have let him be inducted with that logo.

Tl0mowK.jpg

On Jim Thome's plaque, he is wearing a hat that he wore only a handful of times. I get the reason he chose that hat but if he was able to choose that one, Trammell could have chosen this cap.

Vlad should have been an Expo.  I don't need to know the numbers.  I don't care about the numbers.  He's an expo.

I think that they should allow players to be capless in some circumstances.  I'd rather Thome have no cap then one he hardly wore, and didn't wear at all when he was building his resume.  He should either be in Wahoo, or nothing.  I totally get the hall (and him) not wanting to use Wahoo, but as others have mentioned, history isn't always pretty, but it happened.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived