Canadian Premier League Concepts (Completed 12-11: Sask & League Graphics)

vtgco

Nice job on Edmonton. One critique I have about Winnipeg is that the wheat stalks and "Winnipeg" are really squeezed in there and make it hard to read. If you want, you can try making  the circle in the cross bigger and making "Winnipeg" bigger and much more visible. Then take out the wheat stalks and put them around the badge like a wreath. I feel that this would make the crest easier to read.

VHj90kn.png

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think winnepeg is a swing and a miss for me, the crest is a small downgrade at worst and a parallel move at best. The uniforms are busy, the white is alright but the gold I would make simpler.

I love Edmonton’s crest. And uniforms, they’re great don’t touch em. I prefer the second of the two crests.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

I think you should feel confident about the Edmonton crests you have made, especially the one on the left. 

Much better than what the club itself came out with. 

As for Winnipeg, I like the crest a lot. It's a unique shape which has meaning. My only critique about Winnipeg is that the crest kind of blends into the rest of the home jersey. I don't know if a thicker outline would solve that? 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

On 8/8/2018 at 7:49 PM, Placebo said:

I think the Winnipeg set is very solid, and adding in the bridge was a cool idea.

I really like the re-done Crest as well.

On 8/8/2018 at 7:56 PM, Section30 said:

Edmonton is really well done, I really like the crest on the left.

Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad you like it.

On 8/9/2018 at 6:39 AM, BellaSpurs said:

I think winnepeg is a swing and a miss for me, the crest is a small downgrade at worst and a parallel move at best. The uniforms are busy, the white is alright but the gold I would make simpler.

I love Edmonton’s crest. And uniforms, they’re great don’t touch em. I prefer the second of the two crests.

Winnipeg's actual logo is pretty good, so I agree that mine might not be at the same level... I just wanted to try something out. :)  Glad to hear you like Edmonton.

On 8/9/2018 at 7:09 AM, mr.negative15 said:

As for Winnipeg, I like the crest a lot. It's a unique shape which has meaning. My only critique about Winnipeg is that the crest kind of blends into the rest of the home jersey. I don't know if a thicker outline would solve that? 

On 8/8/2018 at 11:05 PM, Axe said:

Nice job on Edmonton. One critique I have about Winnipeg is that the wheat stalks and "Winnipeg" are really squeezed in there and make it hard to read. If you want, you can try making  the circle in the cross bigger and making "Winnipeg" bigger and much more visible. Then take out the wheat stalks and put them around the badge like a wreath. I feel that this would make the crest easier to read.

Here is an attempt to update my Winnipeg logo with your recommendations:

wpg_choice.jpg

I personally prefer WPG 1, but while I was first working on this logo, I definitely considered some of the things you guys suggested.

The wreath of wheat didn't work super well around the bottom of the logo, so I put it below Fort Garry.

Also @Axe, thanks so much for your feedback! Sorry about the coincidental timing of our CPL concepts. I haven't looked at yours yet to avoid copying you, but I look forward to seeing your take on the league after my series is done!

Halifax will likely be up next.

• vtgco changed the title to Canadian Premier League Logo Updates & Kits (Update 08-10: WPG Logo Edit)
3 hours ago, mcrosby said:

I like the Edmonton crest, but your center lines are off. 

Well spotted. It seems that I must've accidentally moved my center guideline early on. The logos are now updated with proper centering.

Glad to hear you like it!

So my opinions on the updates so far (Canadian football supporter living in a city that has a CPL club):

Cavalry FC - I actually like the monochrome badge in its form and there was no real need to expand on the chevrons due to its meaning. I am liking the kits, especially the camouflage to a tie to the military connection (7/10)

York 9 FC - Nicely done on badge and kits. No real change from the current visions of the club (7/10)

Forge FC - I am a huge fan of the new badge (much better than the current one) and the use of yellow and black vice spark orange is much much better fit. The kits look amazing (8.5/10)

Valour FC - I do understand you were trying to go for the Victoria Cross for the logo, I myself like that direction and using the second variant you made for them. As for kits, not a fan of the chevron what stalks on the home and the clash kits is a nod toward the Winnipeg Jets. This should be about a club and a league trying to create it's own identity away from current marketing gimmicks. (6/10)

FC Edmonton - Big fan of the new FCE badge and loving the kits, especially the Drillers clash kit (I grew up in Edmonton and my family went to Drillers and Brickman games all the time). (7/10)

Looking forward to the remaining two clubs, Halifax Wanderers FC and Pacific FC. Keep up the great work!

NpTodZP.png

Definitely WPG 1. The stalks of grain helps it feel clean, whereas with the second one the shield and the cross kind of fade into each other a bit too much. That or you could try just continuing the black outline over that upper part and see how that goes. Regardless, I think separating the two aspects is the right move.

Honestly, the league ought to just straight up contract the design to you, these are all dope. Interested by where the league goes, broadly speaking, and that's as someone who has only recently gotten into North American soccer / football (been a Liverpool fan for a long ass time). Threads like this help sow interest and I think that's awesome that you're even doing this thread/series! Awesome work!

spacer.png

22 hours ago, ThierryH14 said:

Valour FC - I do understand you were trying to go for the Victoria Cross for the logo, I myself like that direction and using the second variant you made for them. As for kits, not a fan of the chevron what stalks on the home and the clash kits is a nod toward the Winnipeg Jets. This should be about a club and a league trying to create it's own identity away from current marketing gimmicks. (6/10)

FC Edmonton - Big fan of the new FCE badge and loving the kits, especially the Drillers clash kit (I grew up in Edmonton and my family went to Drillers and Brickman games all the time). (7/10)

Looking forward to the remaining two clubs, Halifax Wanderers FC and Pacific FC. Keep up the great work!

Thanks for your ratings. For Winnipeg, I understand your concern about establishing a separate identity. However, I think that representing the city and its traditions is an important part of a team's identity, especially for a team just starting out. I see the whiteout as a tradition of Winnipeg's sports culture that the Valour could embrace.

I'm glad you like the Drillers kit! I knew I had to do that even before starting this series!

20 hours ago, WarriorFight said:

Honestly, the league ought to just straight up contract the design to you, these are all dope. Interested by where the league goes, broadly speaking, and that's as someone who has only recently gotten into North American soccer / football (been a Liverpool fan for a long ass time). Threads like this help sow interest and I think that's awesome that you're even doing this thread/series! Awesome work!

Thank you so much for the nice words! I thought this series would be a fun and interesting challenge for me, and I'm curious to see how the CPL fits into the North American soccer landscape (despite my love of the US and Canada sharing leagues!)

16 hours ago, Xibalba said:

Great concept here, I really like the Forge logo! 

Thanks!

For Halifax, it's two logos for the price of one!

hfx_secondary_display.jpg

I think Halifax's current primary is the best in the league (though I'd prefer if it said "Halifax Wanderers" rather than "HFX Wanderers.")

However, I wanted something to further cement the naval connection. Besides, I couldn't use the bridge because @Lafarge already won at that.

The focus is on an old navy ship, based on the Halifax flag. I feel it captures the history and adventurous tone of the Wanderers name.

The alternate logo is my modernization of the logo of the 1882 Halifax Wanderers Amateur Athletic Club, the namesake of the team.

hfx_display.jpg

The home jersey showcases my love of double blue (ala Whitecaps) and uses the wave pattern from the logo.

The away is a modernization of this tonal-striped Wanderers AAC jersey from c. 1895. It uses the fauxback alternate logo. The main stripe is the provincial tartan of Nova Scotia, a nod to the region's Gaelic history.

C&C is greatly appreciated, per usual!

• vtgco changed the title to Canadian Premier League Logo Updates & Kits (Update 08-13: Halifax)

holy :censored:, I love your Halifax primary!

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

On 8/10/2018 at 6:11 PM, vtgco said:

Thanks for the kind words! I'm glad you like it.

Winnipeg's actual logo is pretty good, so I agree that mine might not be at the same level... I just wanted to try something out. :)  Glad to hear you like Edmonton.

Here is an attempt to update my Winnipeg logo with your recommendations:

wpg_choice.jpg

I personally prefer WPG 1, but while I was first working on this logo, I definitely considered some of the things you guys suggested.

The wreath of wheat didn't work super well around the bottom of the logo, so I put it below Fort Garry.

Also @Axe, thanks so much for your feedback! Sorry about the coincidental timing of our CPL concepts. I haven't looked at yours yet to avoid copying you, but I look forward to seeing your take on the league after my series is done!

Halifax will likely be up next.

It's all good. When you have good ideas happening at the same time, you get a lot of good content. You definitely take it a bit further with redesigning the logos to your imagination.

Speaking of, you definitely made the logo better! WPG 2 feels more polished and sharp. 

VHj90kn.png

Hey, I'm finally back! Thank you all for the nice words about Halifax! Sorry to take so long, but I've been busy, and this one threw me for a loop!

On 8/15/2018 at 12:14 AM, the admiral said:

The colors don't feel very Winnipeg to me. Try the orange and cream of the old Winnipeg buses

I just used the colors of the actual team/the Victoria Cross (the logo inspiration). I personally associate WPG with gold, but IDK.

Rounding out the CPL's charter members is the one repping my homeland!

pac_display.jpg

I kinda wanted to change the already-taken name, so I took my inspiration from their "lighthouse white" color name. Their old logo didn't really look like a tree to me, anyways.

The logo is a lighthouse, and includes the sunset of the BC flag. I added the yellow/gold as a nod to the team's supporter group and the Victoria Highlanders... (quick aside, are the Highlanders being replaced by Pacific or will the two coexist?)

The home is a water ripple pattern, a tribute to the team's "Pacific" identity.

The away, a double purple uniform, has patterns in the formline art style of the local, indigenous Kwakwaka'wakw people.

Indigenous art plays an important role in Pacific Northwestern culture, so I thought it might be nice for some post-Grizzlies Cascadian team to honor it. Plus, I wanted to try to make something in the beautiful style.

I used this sea-serpent piece as the basis. Here's the pattern up close:

pac_kwakiutl_pattern.png

With that, we wrap up the confirmed CPL teams. It might be a bit, but I hope to return soon with some expansion concepts!

In the meantime, let me know what you think of the Beacons, or any other team in this series! Thanks!

• vtgco changed the title to Canadian Premier League Logo Updates & Kits (Update 08-20: Pacific)

Like the first off of Pacific but the second one, I like the idea of the totem-style but it looks a shade too busy for my own taste. Maybe if it was more of a sublimated pattern in purple of hell even powder blue I think it might work more, but I think the tan stands out too much. 

spacer.png

On 8/20/2018 at 2:09 AM, WarriorFight said:

Like the first off of Pacific but the second one, I like the idea of the totem-style but it looks a shade too busy for my own taste. Maybe if it was more of a sublimated pattern in purple of hell even powder blue I think it might work more, but I think the tan stands out too much. 

Thanks for the feedback on the Beacons! I wanted to include the gold since it wasn't included on the home, and to keep the pattern looking like the real thing. I might mess around with a sublimated version at some point, though.

Next up is my first expansion team, hailing from la belle province! ⚜️

qc_secondary_display.jpg

So, IMO, the Quebec Citadelles, a short-lived AHL team, had one of the best identities in sports that I've ever seen.

The name is locally relevant, it's sophisticated, and it meets the Quebecois requirement of working in both English and French. Therefore, it's too good to remain unused.

I also love the use of Batisse the goat, the mascot of the Regiment that runs the Citadel.

My primary logo uses the rampart shape from the city flag, and a silhouette of Batisse. The wordmark is custom-made to look like the goat's horn.

The secondary logo is my answer to the Bird-de-Lis... Maybe I should call it the Fleur-Billy!

qc_display.jpg

Simple uniforms for this team: a sky blue, tonal striped home with a rampart, and a cream and gold away with a stone wall pattern to mimic the famous Porte St. Louis.

Any feedback on Québec and/or Pacific is greatly appreciated! Another new team, probably Moncton, will be next!

• vtgco changed the title to Canadian Premier League Logo Updates & Kits (Update 08-24: Québec)
On 8/24/2018 at 8:17 PM, vtgco said:

Thanks for the feedback on the Beacons! I wanted to include the gold since it wasn't included on the home, and to keep the pattern looking like the real thing. I might mess around with a sublimated version at some point, though.

Next up is my first expansion team, hailing from la belle province! ⚜️

qc_secondary_display.jpg

So, IMO, the Quebec Citadelles, a short-lived AHL team, had one of the best identities in sports that I've ever seen.

The name is locally relevant, it's sophisticated, and it meets the Quebecois requirement of working in both English and French. Therefore, it's too good to remain unused.

I also love the use of Batisse the goat, the mascot of the Regiment that runs the Citadel.

My primary logo uses the rampart shape from the city flag, and a silhouette of Batisse. The wordmark is custom-made to look like the goat's horn.

The secondary logo is my answer to the Bird-de-Lis... Maybe I should call it the Fleur-Billy!

qc_display.jpg

Simple uniforms for this team: a sky blue, tonal striped home with a rampart, and a cream and gold away with a stone wall pattern to mimic the famous Porte St. Louis.

Any feedback on Québec and/or Pacific is greatly appreciated! Another new team, probably Moncton, will be next!

what about moncton team, its say they might get a team in a few years  EYvORH1.png

hvmY186.png

Archived