Canadian Premier League Concepts (Completed 12-11: Sask & League Graphics)

vtgco

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, raysox said:

Love that Fury concept man

Thanks, I appreciate that a lot, especially from the template's creator!

School is getting busy, so it might be a couple weeks, but I've got some solid sketches for Newfoundland! Thanks for your patience.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey, everyone! Sorry to keep you all waiting so long. I finally managed to escape from the homework dungeon for long enough to bring you the next team, the Newfoundland Dragons!

nl_display.jpg

So this team was originally going to be brown & Vegas gold, but @NoE38 gave the great suggestion of incorporating the Newfoundland tricolor. Thanks!

The logo is based on a Viking dragonship, because of the Viking settlement on the island. The top of the shield resembles Cabot Tower in St John's. The font is Adorn Smooth Serif Regular.

The Atlantic Salmon and Forest Brown home jersey has a pattern possibly worn by the historical Beothuk people.

The Iceberg White and Sea Green away jersey has an iceberg texture on it.

The final team will be Saskatoon. I have a couple ideas that I can't decide between, so tell me: Flora or Fauna?

Please, let me know what you think of the Dragons!

4 hours ago, NoE38 said:

Love it! Pink and Green actually look great together so it's nice to see it work here. Having been to Newfoundland, these symbolism is great as well. Really looking forward to what you can do with Saskatoon. Maybe have one jersey feature fauna and the other flora?

Thanks, happy to hear you like it!

I'm talking mostly about the crest, but I could definitely include flora on the jersey with a fauna crest!

• 1 month later...

After a couple of months of homework and/or laziness searching for Sasquatch, I have finally returned with the last entry in the series, as well as a league graphics package!

After all this time, here's Saskatchewan:

sk_display.jpg

The team is based in Saskatoon, and is named after the provincial animal of Saskatchewan.

The crest takes the deer from the Saskatchewan coat of arms, and puts it in the Saskatoon coat of arms. I was hoping for a traditional heraldic feeling!

Also, part of the outline of the deer matches a map of the South Saskatchewan River through the city (ala FC Cincy's new logo.)

The home jersey has a saskatoon-berry leaf pattern.

The away jersey is based on the city flag of Saskatoon and the Broadway Bridge.

Both have white shorts.

Finally, here are some scorebugs and other TV graphics for the league, inspired by @Xibalba's scorebug concepts:

cpl_scorebug_display.png

Please leave any comments on any of the logos, kits, or scorebugs, or the presentation of the series!

If you all want, I can do some final edits to the teams or add some more to the graphics package.

Thank you so much for your patience and feedback throughout this series! Best wishes for your first season, Canadian Premier League fans!

• vtgco changed the title to Canadian Premier League Concepts (Completed 12-11: Sask & League Graphics)

On 12/12/2018 at 11:37 AM, Section30 said:

Love everything about Saskatchewan!

Thank you, really glad to hear it!

18 hours ago, BigRed618 said:

You sure you don’t want to add one more team so the list is even? London or the Tri-Cities would be a nice place for #14. Or if you want somewhere outside Ontario, there’s Kelowna, BC, or Trois Riviéres, QC.

I had thought about this, and here are my main reasonings:

• I was kinda thinking in terms of Western & Eastern conferences of 6 each, but ended up doing Newfoundland in spite of that just because I had an idea that I really liked. I'm not sure how to keep a good balance while covering more of the bigger cities.
  • This series started in July, so I hoped to try to wrap it up by the end of the year. These things have taken me a long time to make, so I thought I'd try something different one of these days.

That said, your suggestions of Kelowna & Trois-Rivières are pretty good. If others are interested, I'd consider adding another team some time in the future.

Thank you both for your feedback!

Are there any comments on the scorebugs?

Understandable. It’s tough doing a big league for a place like Canada because there aren’t a whole lot of huge cities there compared to the US. Or in the case of Australia, almost all the main metropoli are on one side of the map, so you can’t really do East and West divisions.

Scorebugs are nice. I see you’ve incorporated elements from the league logo, which is a nice touch.

On 12/15/2018 at 4:22 PM, BigRed618 said:

Understandable. It’s tough doing a big league for a place like Canada because there aren’t a whole lot of huge cities there compared to the US. Or in the case of Australia, almost all the main metropoli are on one side of the map, so you can’t really do East and West divisions.

These reasons (along with international friendship/sportsmanship) are why it's good for the US and Canada share leagues at times. I'm baffled that CONCACAF would approve a 3-way joint World Cup but then kick Ottawa out of the USL?

On 12/15/2018 at 4:22 PM, BigRed618 said:

Scorebugs are nice. I see you’ve incorporated elements from the league logo, which is a nice touch.

Thank you! I was inspired by the MLS Live scorebug's use of the diagonal line from the MLS logo.

Archived