Lakers Officially Unveil New Uniforms for 2018-19

TJSC

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love it. The Lakers basically adopt the Celtics uniform template and they're championed as "modern." That's fun.

I think these uniforms look fine, though it really doesn't feel like the Lakers without those wide panels on the shorts. They've had some sort of side panel for most of their L.A. history. Seems like a strange knockoff without them. 

46 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I love it. The Lakers basically adopt the Celtics uniform template and they're championed as "modern." That's fun.

I think these uniforms look fine, though it really doesn't feel like the Lakers without those wide panels on the shorts. They've had some sort of side panel for most of their L.A. history. Seems like a strange knockoff without them. 

Yeah, they have had the side panel as their trademark basically since they moved to LA. It's like the Yankees pinstripes. Not sure why wouldn't include them. 

Other issue we must face is these unis will be branded "the LeBron uniform" now. If they are not well received they will blame him for changing their look. 

2 hours ago, gosioux76 said:

That's my problem with them. The colour balance just seems off.

I don't mind the jerseys not having sans-side panels, but the lack of those side panels on the shorts is really hurting the overall look. The gold uniforms seem too gold, the purple uniforms seem too purple, and the white uniforms seem too white. Those pronounced side panels always broke the base colour up, but they're gone now. 

1 hour ago, Ice_Cap said:

That's my problem with them. The colour balance just seems off.

I don't mind the jerseys not having sans-side panels, but the lack of those side panels on the shorts is really hurting the overall look. The gold uniforms seem too gold, the purple uniforms seem too purple, and the white uniforms seem too white. Those pronounced side panels always broke the base colour up, but they're gone now. 

The jerseys are too purple and gold. If the drop shadow isn’t going to be bigger than the numbers need to be white on both the gold and purple. 

Part of me believes all these mockups are wrong..

4 hours ago, aawagner011 said:

So...how about those bottom serifs being different on the 2 and the 3? That’ll stick out like a sore thumb on the new poster boy.

The bottom of the 2 and the bottom of the 3 are very different in form.. I'd expect the serifs to be different.. 3, 5, & 9 should be similar at the bottom.. 1, 4, & 7 as well.. 6, 8, 0.. 2 is a lone soldier in regards to bottom serifs..

15 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

The bottom of the 2 and the bottom of the 3 are very different in form.. I'd expect the serifs to be different.. 3, 5, & 9 should be similar at the bottom.. 1, 4, & 7 as well.. 6, 8, 0.. 2 is a lone soldier in regards to bottom serifs..

The bottom of the 3 obviously has that angled notch that the 2 doesn’t have, but the length of the serifs are still different. The serif on the 3 rises much higher than that of the 2. It’s less noticeable on the showtime era set given the extra thick shadows. However, the new set makes the discrepancy stick out more since the shadow is much less pronounced. I don’t see a reason why the bottom serif of the 2 doesn’t rise to the same height as the 3 does.

19 minutes ago, aawagner011 said:

The bottom of the 3 obviously has that angled notch that the 2 doesn’t have, but the length of the serifs are still different. The serif on the 3 rises much higher than that of the 2. It’s less noticeable on the showtime era set given the extra thick shadows. However, the new set makes the discrepancy stick out more since the shadow is much less pronounced. I don’t see a reason why the bottom serif of the 2 doesn’t rise to the same height as the 3 does.

The actual serifs are the same height.. The 3 has that extra angled notch you mentioned, which raises its serif slightly higher than that of the 2, which isn't elevated by an extra angled notch.. The vertical portion is exactly the same on both numbers though..

3 minutes ago, WavePunter said:

The actual serifs are the same height.. The 3 has that extra angled notch you mentioned, which raises its serif slightly higher than that of the 2, which isn't elevated by an extra angled notch.. The vertical portion is exactly the same on both numbers though..

Fair point. I’d be curious to see them side by side. It just looks off to me as is.

Just now, aawagner011 said:

Fair point. I’d be curious to see them side by side. It just looks off to me as is.

Granted, I don't think it would look bad if the serif on the 2 were taller to match the 3 (it may actually look better honestly), but I don't see any issue with it as-is..

16 minutes ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Is it me or does the gold (and/or purple) look duller than in the past.  Also I'd say the sleeve trim is a downgrade from what Kobe/Magic are wearing.

Capture.pngRelated imageRelated image

Probably a graphical error. A fake jersey compared to actual in-game jerseys are bound to have tonal differences.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I'm very glad they removed the logo from the waistband. It destroyed the look, IMO. I hope the Bulls also remove theirs.

1 hour ago, DC in Da House w/o a Doubt said:

Is it me or does the gold (and/or purple) look duller than in the past.  Also I'd say the sleeve trim is a downgrade from what Kobe/Magic are wearing.

Capture.pngRelated imageRelated image

Agreed. I'll wait to see them in-game but to me, there's not enough white on the new uniforms. In these leaks and the mock-ups the white areas are so thin that they basically get lost between the purple and gold.

Archived