Lakers Officially Unveil New Uniforms for 2018-19

TJSC

11 hours ago, Quillz said:

Looking at the "old" purple jersey in that pic, I realized that white doesn't really contrast well on white at all. The wordmark probably would have been better if it was just gold on purple. The numbers should have just been gold, too. A gold outline doesn't contrast well against white at all.

10 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Agreed.  It just muddies everything.  

If they had done the purple jerseys properly I'd be inclined to say these are the best unis the Lakers ever had:

Di5OD8yV4AAk-HI.jpg

DjAPqmdU0AI_RVF.jpg

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
30 minutes ago, colortv said:

If they had done the purple jerseys properly I'd be inclined to say these are the best unis the Lakers ever had:

Di5OD8yV4AAk-HI.jpg

DjAPqmdU0AI_RVF.jpg

Why is that not the thing that happened? 

It’ll be one of those headscratchers like bfbs 9ers or the entire Thunder identity.

7 hours ago, DG_Now said:

7 hours ago, DG_Now said:

Nike has seen how successful changing jerseys every year has been in soccer and college football, so here we are. This is just the new NBA. Adam Silver, for sure, loves it.

Adam Silver only loves money, ads on jerseys, super teams.

NBA is garbage, you have to be very dumb to buy tickets for NBA games or support the league in any other way

4 hours ago, skip88 said:

Adam Silver only loves money, ads on jerseys, super teams.

NBA is garbage, you have to be very dumb to buy tickets for NBA games or support the league in any other way

Yes, the NBA has an aesthetic problem and the Warriors’ dominance isn’t everybody’s cup of tea. But the NBA is probably the healthiest of the four major leagues in this country. 

1 hour ago, BJ Sands said:

Yes, the NBA has an aesthetic problem and the Warriors’ dominance isn’t everybody’s cup of tea. But the NBA is probably the healthiest of the four major leagues in this country. 

In terms of stability and popularity? Yes. In terms of quality of competition? Not at all. You can count of one hand the number of realistic contenders for the title at the beginning of the season - it's like an American version of a European soccer league. (The EPL has been more wide open than the NBA in the 2010s.) And the East doesn't have one serious contender for the title now that LeBron is in LA.

That said, I don't think that'll affect the long-term financial health of the Association. Dare I say, that lack of competitiveness might be the reason that the NBA is the financially strongest league. People are attracted to great players, and superteams get incredible ratings (and something for the entire nation to either root for or root against). Dynasties bring in cash, and the NBA has had plenty of both recently.

Where is becomes risky is if a dynasty goes on too long, like an entire decade where other teams barely have a chance at winning. I think - and it pains me to say this as a Yankee fan - that happened in baseball everywhere outside of NYC after WWII. TV created a gigantic opening for pro football to popularize, but I'd guess that the Yankees' dominance helped further that in most other parts of the country. Might be part of the reason why baseball is still the dominant sport in NYC, but football is dominant in most other longtime NFL cities (which explains Boston, St. Louis, and Cincy). But anyway, the Warriors are pushing that limit, but having LeBron right in their division should help create drama.

On 8/2/2018 at 10:27 AM, logos are cool said:

Hmmmmm...we don't???? Looks pretty polarizing to me. 

I wonder if we will get some story or background on these changes. Seems like the people responsible don't want to be known right now. 

Hahaha... I doubt it's because they're hiding in terror of the uniform critic community.  This is a little overblown,  as with EVERY new  uniform that is revealed.  There will never be a consensus as long as everyone has a different opinion. 

4 hours ago, kroywen said:

In terms of stability and popularity? Yes. In terms of quality of competition? Not at all.

Well sure but I don't think that's the argument. There's a lot more to a league than that, even if it's a huge factor.

How is the relationship between the league and its player's association? How well does the league engage with fans through social media and rule changes/event planning? How well is the league doing at reaching global markets? How well is the league utilizing their stars? Are there scandals, health scares, or rule controversies?

The fact that the NBA was able to shift over a decade+ from the Malice at the Palace to the most marketing/PR friendly league is huge. They've fixed the All-Star game and made attempts at better reffing/transparency. Flopping, while still a problem, is no longer at its peak (this is anecdotal). We no longer worry about the best players having issues with the law.

The NHL is the only league that seems even close (mostly because I don't know much about the NHL) while managing to keep parity. The NBA has had a parity issue for its entire history, even if I'd agree that this Warriors run is unprecedented in modern times and total BS. Before the Warriors came up it was basically just the Heat, Spurs, and Thunder competing. Before that the Lakers/Celtics... Any era has only a few contenders and only a few surprises.

However, I will wholeheartedly agree that the lack of parity is disheartening and I'll certainly be watching less with my team out of the conversation. And I also absolutely hate the aesthetic direction of the league, advertisements especially.

Parity in the NBA has also always bugged me... Haven't something like half the teams in the league not even won a championship? But I think so much of it has to do with the nature of the sport. Basketball is perhaps the one sport where the individual can have the largest influence on the on-field events. The NBA has always been defined by superstars, and there are only so many and so many teams they play on.

20 minutes ago, Quillz said:

Parity in the NBA has also always bugged me... Haven't something like half the teams in the league not even won a championship? But I think so much of it has to do with the nature of the sport. Basketball is perhaps the one sport where the individual can have the largest influence on the on-field events. The NBA has always been defined by superstars, and there are only so many and so many teams they play on.

It's mostly the fact that basketball is so superstar-driven, but exacerbated by NBA salary cap rules.

The way salary cap rules are designed, teams vying for a prominent free agent are generally going to offer similar contracts to one another (all well below open market value, FWIW), so the free agent will decide not based on how gives them the most money, but on other factors. The biggest is usually "can I win a championship here?" It's how you saw the top three free agents flocking to Miami in a single offseason with the express purpose of creating a superteam, or why KD chose the Warriors over other teams.

It's ironic that a policy that's in part designed to promote parity actually decreases it, since teams are largely competing for top free agents based on their ability to deliver a championship (rather than on the best salary). Of course, the biggest purpose of the salary cap is to contain payroll costs, which it is insanely effective at doing (part of why the NBA is so financially healthy).

22 hours ago, kroywen said:

It's mostly the fact that basketball is so superstar-driven, but exacerbated by NBA salary cap rules.

The way salary cap rules are designed, teams vying for a prominent free agent are generally going to offer similar contracts to one another (all well below open market value, FWIW), so the free agent will decide not based on how gives them the most money, but on other factors. The biggest is usually "can I win a championship here?" It's how you saw the top three free agents flocking to Miami in a single offseason with the express purpose of creating a superteam, or why KD chose the Warriors over other teams.

It's ironic that a policy that's in part designed to promote parity actually decreases it, since teams are largely competing for top free agents based on their ability to deliver a championship (rather than on the best salary). Of course, the biggest purpose of the salary cap is to contain payroll costs, which it is insanely effective at doing (part of why the NBA is so financially healthy).

It's apparent that the league needs a hard cap if they want to get parity. As things are, the penalties for going over limits the teams willing to compete with high salary and the soft cap means that great teams can stay great.

And yeah, 14 teams in the NBA have never won a title in their current city. A few more have won while the franchise was somewhere else. The Celtics and Lakers own by far the most titles.

On 7/31/2018 at 7:13 PM, colortv said:

The black panel is an abomination for the following reasons:

1. It's not part of the color scheme

2. It's inclusion serves no particular purpose

3. It just looks off aesthetically.

Not part of the color scheme? Correct me if I'm wrong but the whole city uniform last year was black, right? Have they not had black in their identity in the past? So I'll get it out of the way: the purple ones are ???

On 8/5/2018 at 7:18 AM, Quillz said:

I'm still wondering about this. Maybe it was something posted in error.

Yeah, it definitely was posted in error. I never bought that some random Customer Support employee would know something.

There's no new Lakers logo and there probably shouldn't be.

bSLCtu2.png

11 hours ago, JoshMcC1982 said:

Not part of the color scheme? Correct me if I'm wrong but the whole city uniform last year was black, right? Have they not had black in their identity in the past? So I'll get it out of the way: the purple ones are ???

The fact that a color has been used in an alternate uniform in the past doesn't mean that it's part of a team's color scheme. Would you consider red and orange to be part of the Jazz's color scheme, or pink and turquoise to be part of the Heat's color scheme?  Or, more to the point, would you consider baby blue and dark blue to be part of the Lakers' color scheme?

We're in an era where teams wear a ton of alternate jerseys that may or may not have anything to do with their core identities. That doesn't make every alternate jersey part of a team's scheme.

oh ,my god ,i strong recommend you to have a visit on the website ,or if i'm the president ,i would have an barceque with the anthor of the articel .

What makes the purple jersey terrible is the color contrast of the black and white. Like where TF did that come from. There looks like too much white, like it stands all the way out and takes away, and then to throw a whole block of black on top of that is just random. I’m sure this jersey might look better on the court with black accessories, but I’m already selling all my Nikes and looking to get a sponsorship with the Adidas creators... they just had a campaign of calling me as they were looking for creators :)

i agree with colortv that if they had done the purple jersey right, it would’ve been the best set. Also don’t think Lakers need to be treated like OKC or any of these other teams. The Celtics jerseys were simple yet dope.

16 hours ago, -Akronite- said:

It's apparent that the league needs a hard cap if they want to get parity.

Unfortunately, that's going to lead to labor trouble. The players' unions will always argue against a hard cap, regardless of the league.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived