Memphis Grizzlies Unveil New Logos and Uniforms

Really nice look; great graphic devices used in very appropriate and effective ways. My only nitpick is the wordmarks don’t maximize their effectiveness because of the limited size. I don’t dislike short letters, but when the lettering stands out as being small, it tends to look sub-professional to a degree. I think larger front numbers would help a little, but a slightly taller proportion to the letters (like they used to have) would be optimum.

I think the court is a missed opportunity to drive the MEM pattern. I don’t love it.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Other than the smallish wordmarks/numbers and the name under the number, these are a solid update for them.  Really like the nods to their Vancouver days.  Also, I like that they carried over the asymmetry over from the jerseys over onto the court.

Names beneath numbers! Finally someone did it. Works so well IMO. 

Great work on these. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

There's stuff I like and stuff I don't like. It's mildly amusing that they're trumpeting their FedEx sponsorship -- some of us remember when the league was aghast at the possibility of renaming the team the "Memphis Express," which sounded cool and would have been a rare acceptable singular alongside the Heat and Jazz.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

21 minutes ago, EddieJ1984 said:

The grizzlies don't deserve this much attention lol.

Light blues the best the rest is meh

It’s two pages. The Rams have 100 pages for a hypothetical future rebrand. Let us have our moment before the season begins and obscurity hits. 

Okay, it isn’t great. I’d say it’s acceptable. First the FedEx thing bothers me JUST because it isn’t in team colors. Its kind of gross actually. The names below the numbers are, well, to put it simply stupid. Why must they be below the numbers? Not sure what to think about the pattern. While the pattern is okay in itself, the “Nikespeak” explanation of MEM is kinda dumb. I LOVE the split numbers. Idk I don’t really love it. Not terrible though. 

I actually like these. It's much more unique that leaks on the NBA 18-19 thread had them out to be, other than the names below numbers these are really really good.

The asymetrical design of the court is one of those things that is a great idea and looks great in a graphic but might not work in reality.  It looks great in this image, and I actually get the "Nike speak" behind it, I'm just not sure how much I'd like it on an actual court.

The direction of the wood grain is very interesting.  I'm surprised nobody has done this sooner.  As long as the center panels don't create a "stripe" effect, it could look really good.

Overall they did really well with this redesign.  I wouldn't mind seeing a little white on the dark uniforms, and I don't know if I'm crazy about the court, but overall it's an upgrade in pretty much every way.

Grizzlies-New-Court-Design-2018-2019-NBA

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I like the super-fly '70s curvy lines -- so much that I'd want them on both sides of the court. But I hate unpainted baselines/sidelines.

I've wanted to see "vertical" paneling, too. And diagonal. And maybe even a big diamond converging on center court -- I could see Portland making that work. More flooring patterns are good.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

1 hour ago, BringBackTheVet said:

The asymetrical design of the court is one of those things that is a great idea and looks great in a graphic but might not work in reality.  It looks great in this image, and I actually get the "Nike speak" behind it, I'm just not sure how much I'd like it on an actual court.

The direction of the wood grain is very interesting.  I'm surprised nobody has done this sooner.  As long as the center panels don't create a "stripe" effect, it could look really good.

Overall they did really well with this redesign.  I wouldn't mind seeing a little white on the dark uniforms, and I don't know if I'm crazy about the court, but overall it's an upgrade in pretty much every way.

Grizzlies-New-Court-Design-2018-2019-NBA

Something about that court kinda makes me miss the earlier courts with the current colors.

r0rny65hkt8thb8l9p4c9heeh.gif

Archived