Nike NHL - 2/17 Bruins heritage 2 added

Kevin W.

New York Islanders

4c8l0h7.png

No real revision to the home/road apart from getting rid of Pajama Boy and putting the new captain on.

lSpgjws.png

I was told that the previous alternates were too Oilers-esque and I have responded! If I'm going to have the Fisherman on the jersey, then long live the teal! I added teal to the stripes and numbers and also added a teal-trimmed primary logo as the shoulder patch.

• Like 1

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The alternates still feel very Oilers-y, probably because orange is the primary color, and they're totally devoid of royal blue. If it were me, I'd make the primary color navy, crank up the teal, and then go from there.

It's a solid set, but the two alternate still don't feel like the Islanders, yknow?

Florida Panthers

bY9Tzte.png

So there's a rumor that the Panthers' new alternate this coming season will be a throwback or fauxback, and I think that that's a good idea. The Panthers' current uniforms are the best they've ever looked but the Panthers have never had a terrible look outside of 2007-16. Thus, their alternates are fauxbacks using the slightly-modified version of the modern leaping Panther by @Survival79 and the current color scheme.

• Like 3

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Philadelphia Flyers

oKEyraT.png

I had a few different options for the alts, and I decided to go for familiar options for both. The home alternate is simply a color swap of the home version, and it also has a contrasting nameplate. The Flyers have done the color-swapped alternate before and it looks good. Don't mess with a good formula. As for the road, I had to do something that didn't match the home alternate since doing a color-swapped version of the road jersey just wouldn't look good, IMHO. Instead, I took the 2016-17 anniversary jersey and removed the gold trim. I think it works pretty well in three colors, rather than four. The gold made sense since it was their 50th anniversary but, as I'm sure many others felt, it still looked out of place since the Penguins were just one season removed from having Vegas gold as a big part of their color scheme.

Also, the primaries have been updated to move the logo a bit lower on the front. It was a bit high on the jersey and has been adjusted.

• Like 1

OK, so here's where I stand on the remaining teams' alternates:

Buffalo Sabres: Ideas in mind for both and working on some details.

Colorado Avalanche: Home alt is pretty much done and I'm waffling back and forth on what to come up for the road version.

Detroit Red Wings: Same as Buffalo.

Minnesota Wild: The home alt is an easy choice but I'm trying to decide between two options for the road version.

New Jersey Devils: All but complete. It'll probably be the next one I post.

New York Rangers: I know what I want to do for both but I'm waiting to see if they announce a captain so that I don't have to revise it after I post it.

Ottawa Senators: Same as New York.

St. Louis Blues: Same as Colorado.

Tampa Bay Lightning: Same as New Jersey. It'll probably be the next one posted after them.

Toronto Maple Leafs: Same as New York and Ottawa.

Vegas Golden Knights: I'm waiting to see what they do for their real-life alternate to see if it gives me an idea on how to proceed.

Winnipeg Jets: Same as New Jersey and Tampa Bay. It's probably third in line.

New Jersey Devils

YLQ7QvR.png

I have tried, when possible, to avoid repeating primary uniform colors between the home and home alternate. In some cases, it just can't be done. Some teams simply don't have more than one color and white (Detroit) and some teams wouldn't be caught dead wearing a uniform that is mostly their secondary color (Montreal), and the few times that I've repeated colors, I've either tried to do different shades (San Jose) or I've just felt that the idea I had in mind wouldn't look as good if I switched the primary and secondary colors for the alternate (Pittsburgh, Dallas). In the case of New Jersey, while I like the idea of the red and green jerseys (I have a team-issued Brodeur customized to on-ice specifications in my collection) I wanted to mess with them to avoid a second red jersey in the team's repertoire. Also, I previously tried a straight red-to-black color swap for New Jersey's alternate and it not only looked awful, it also hamstrung me in terms of my options for the road alternate. Thus, I came to this conclusion. With a few slight adjustments, these are the retro jerseys with black substituted for red. I left the logo red because it pops well against the black background.

• Like 1

St. Louis Blues

979dyJK.png

The roundel returns! This is another one where it's a different shade of blue. I've taken the 2008-16 alternate and fiddled with it. For one, I've added a white hem and a white yoke because the white sleeve cuffs look weird if they're not coordinated with the rest of the jersey. Most important of all, however: inspired by recent Blues news, red has returned as a tertiary color to the scheme. Unlike the 1995-98 jersey, however, it stays as just trim and there's no Anaheim ripoff diagonal design because that combined with red being such a huge part of the color scheme looked dumb then and it looks dumb now. I don't care that red is the single most prominent color on the St. Louis flag. It just looks dumb on their jerseys. The road alternate is a simple color swap.

• Like 3

On 9/18/2019 at 1:00 AM, Tore said:

Absolutely lovely work, absolutely lovely! I would love to see your take on some expansion teams! 

Once I finish 31/31, the next two parts of the project will be vintage jerseys for some teams and defunct teams.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Buffalo Sabres

9EPXxSB.png

Given that the league has lost one royal blue team IRL (Oilers) and I took another team (Islanders) out of royal blue, and given that Buffalo has announced that they're moving back to royal blue next year anyway, I decided to get ahead of the curve and, in the process of updating the Sabres to account for Eichel being given the C, changed them back to royal blue. The design remains the same.

DUTw5LK.png

The alternates are pretty easy choices. The home alternate is a gold alternate that isn't a total piece of :censored: like the Turdburger was. The road alternate focuses on the gray trim as a reference to the city's nickname as the Nickel City. Is the connection tenuous because there's a less-than-stellar reason why Buffalo is called the Nickel City? Yes. Do I care? No. The combination of silver and royal blue with a small amount of gold trim looks good to my eyes.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Winnipeg Jets

wWXwZf6.png

Winnipeg's actual alternate falls short of the mark. It's just kind of... meh. It exists and to me that's about it. I've taken the sleeve-length stripes off of the home jersey and added them back to the alternates, using their lighter blue and gray as the color scheme and using the alternate logo rather than the wordmark because the wordmark looks bad as a primary jersey logo.

Also, I've updated the Maple Leafs to reflect John Tavares being named captain.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Colorado Avalanche

5CmQdcR.png

I decided to fiddle with their alternate a bit and moved around some of the details. The shoulder patch is gone because while it doesn't look as weird as it does with the Flames, who aren't the only team in Alberta, it does look a bit repetitive since the primary logo already has the C motif. Then it was just a matter of finding a striping pattern that worked for both jerseys, but I went with ones that weren't just mirror images of each other.

• Like 3

Detroit Red Wings

LgkwOdg.png

The alternates are, like other teams, a very traditional look but still looking different from Detroit's usual fare. It's as simple as changing the striping pattern a bit, changing the color of the road sleeves, adding contrasting yokes and using the winged D logo from their Stadium Series jersey. It looks good so why not?

I also updated the name and number on their primaries because Zetterberg retired.

• Like 2

Vancouver Canucks

CYLo1Fa.png

V78ayXY.png

No major updates here. I've updated to the new stick-in-rink and updated to the new captain.

• Like 3

Ottawa Senators

jr2UxsP.png

In the course of finishing the alternates, which use the block font, I realized that the block font looks better than what I had before, so I updated the home/road to use it as well. Also, since Karlsson is no longer with the team, he's gone and replaced with one of the two longer-tenured alternate captains since it doesn't look like the Sens are going to name a permanent captain.

mWJ8DbC.png

The alternates take cues from the 2011-17 alternates without being a direct ripoff of a jersey from a franchise that has nothing to do with the modern Senators. I don't care what anyone says, the Senators playing in the barber pole jerseys full-time would look weird because they aren't the original Senators.

• Like 3

Minnesota Wild

NEqWUFc.png

Minnesota's alternates throw back to the 1980s with 1981-88 North Stars fauxbacks. I went for the 1981-88 specifically so that means the white (then-home, now-road) jerseys has black trim while the green (then-road, now-home) doesn't. I like the separation in the two. The Wild's logo stays front and center but the North Stars' logo goes on the shoulders (which is where it was on the 81-88 home jerseys) and on the helmet. Now, didn't I just say in my last post that I didn't like the Senators wearing the jerseys of a completely unrelated franchise? Yes, yes I did.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

New York Rangers

bgf1Ady.png

The Rangers' alternates were an easy choice. I made one slight revision to the hem stripes and got rid of the EXTREME METAL version of the Rangers' logo that was used as the shoulder patch. Instead, a recolored version of the proper logo is used as the shoulder patch and the stripes on the pants are changed to navy blue. Thus, it's a unified color scheme across the entire look.

• Like 2

Atlanta Thrashers

ovmS1dG.png

I'm still working on the alternates for Tampa Bay, Toronto and Vegas, so in the meantime, here's something for one of the defunct teams. You may be asking yourself why I've gone and done Atlanta's alternates before their primaries, and the answer is simple: Atlanta's primaries are based off of their asymmetrical jerseys and I can't get the sleeve wordmark to look right. It's a work in progress. As for their alternates, I decided to take their Edge alternate and try to make it suck less. Did I succeed? That's for you to decide.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Toronto Maple Leafs

QvBa3Ip.png

I have returned! This one went through a few different versions. The versions immediately preceding these two incorporated gray quite a bit. The home alternate was gray with blue stripes. I settled on the design that you see here, but I realized that it'd be tough to make the same style work for the road version with both blue and gray on a white base. Then I realized that it could work just fine with no gray. This one incorporates cues from multiple eras. The sleeve-length yoke and matching collar calls to mind the Ballard-era jerseys, which despite their association with a guy who is probably the worst owner in league history, weren't all that bad. The sleeve stripes are reminiscent of the 1967 Cup-winning team, while the chest stripes are slightly derivative of some of the St. Pats' jerseys.

I've got something rough done for both Tampa Bay and Vegas' alternates, so it's entirely possible that I might have 124/124 current team jerseys done before this topic hits 2 years old. Then I'm going to get something going for Hartford and Quebec, along with some World Cup jerseys and some teams' vintage jerseys.

• Like 1

Tampa Bay Lightning

xAcr2yZ.png

I revised the color scheme slightly to make it more in line with the 2001-07 jerseys, which were the team's best look.

WizhJ82.png

The alternates have, like many others, gone through a lot of revisions. I wanted to do something that made some reference to the Storm jerseys, so the stripes are lightning-esque and the color scheme is more blue-heavy compared to the mostly-black color scheme of the primaries.