Nike NHL - 2/17 Bruins heritage 2 added

Kevin W.

This is the latest iteration of a project that I've been working on for quite some time. I've never completely finished it, for one reason or another. Anyway, this is my vision of what the league could look like if it was Nike that had the exclusive contract with the league rather than Reebok followed by Adidas. The jersey template is based on pre-2014 Nike designs, so no flywire collars. Those look stupid. (No longer true as of the 2022 iteration of this project - the template is now based on the 2022 jerseys.) Following the real-life example of Nike and the NBA, every team will have four jerseys. However, they won't follow the same pattern as the NBA, i.e., teams can wear whichever jerseys they want whenever they want. The Nike NHL teams have one dark home jersey, one light road jersey, one dark alternate jersey and one light alternate jersey. Teams still wear dark colors at home and light colors on the road.

Anyway, on with the show.

NEW TEMPLATE

Western Conference

Pacific Division (8/8 primaries done, 8/8 alternates done, 3/? Heritage done, 1/? Crossover done)

Anaheim Ducks - PRIMARY ALTERNATE HERITAGE

Calgary Flames - PRIMARY ALTERNATE HERITAGE

Edmonton Oilers - PRIMARY ALTERNATE HERITAGE

Los Angeles Kings - PRIMARY ALTERNATE

San Jose Sharks - PRIMARY ALTERNATE

Seattle Kraken - PRIMARY ALTERNATE CROSSOVER

Vancouver Canucks - PRIMARY ALTERNATE

Vegas Golden Knights - PRIMARY ALTERNATE

Central Division (8/8 primaries done, 8/8 alternates done, 1/? Heritage done, ?/? Crossover done)

Arizona Coyotes - PRIMARY ALTERNATE

Chicago Blackhawks - PRIMARY ALTERNATE

Colorado Avalanche - PRIMARY ALTERNATE HERITAGE

Dallas Stars - PRIMARY ALTERNATE

Minnesota Wild - PRIMARY ALTERNATE

Nashville Predators - PRIMARY ALTERNATE

St. Louis Blues - PRIMARY ALTERNATE

Winnipeg Jets - PRIMARY ALTERNATE

Eastern Conference

Metropolitan Division (8/8 primaries done, 8/8 alternates done, 3/? Heritage done, ?/? Crossover done)

Carolina Hurricanes - PRIMARY ALTERNATE

Columbus Blue Jackets - PRIMARY ALTERNATE

New Jersey Devils - PRIMARY ALTERNATE HERITAGE

New York Islanders - PRIMARY ALTERNATE HERITAGE

New York Rangers - PRIMARY ALTERNATE

Philadelphia Flyers - PRIMARY ALTERNATE

Pittsburgh Penguins - PRIMARY ALTERNATE HERITAGE

Washington Capitals - PRIMARY ALTERNATE

Atlantic Division (8/8 primaries done, 8/8 alternates done, 3/? Heritage done, ?/? Crossover done)

Boston Bruins - PRIMARY ALTERNATE HERITAGE 1 HERITAGE 2

Buffalo Sabres - PRIMARY ALTERNATE

Detroit Red Wings - PRIMARY ALTERNATE

Florida Panthers - PRIMARY ALTERNATE

Montreal Canadiens - PRIMARY ALTERNATE HERITAGE

Ottawa Senators - PRIMARY ALTERNATE

Tampa Bay Lightning - PRIMARY ALTERNATE

Toronto Maple Leafs - PRIMARY ALTERNATE

ORIGINAL TEMPLATE

Western Conference

Pacific Division (8/8 primaries done, 8/8 alternates done)

Anaheim Ducks

Arizona Coyotes - PRIMARY PRIMARY REVISED ALTERNATE

Calgary Flames - VINTAGE

Edmonton Oilers

Los Angeles Kings - PRIMARY ALTERNATE VINTAGE

San Jose Sharks

Vancouver Canucks - PRIMARY/ALTERNATE REVISED VINTAGE

Vegas Golden Knights - PRIMARY ALTERNATE

Central Division (7/7 primaries done, 7/7 alternates done)

Chicago Blackhawks

Colorado Avalanche - PRIMARY ALTERNATE

Dallas Stars - PRIMARY/ALTERNATE REVISED

Minnesota Wild - PRIMARY ALTERNATE

Nashville Predators - PRIMARY ALTERNATE

St. Louis Blues - PRIMARY ALTERNATE

Winnipeg Jets - PRIMARY ALTERNATE VINTAGE

Eastern Conference

Metropolitan Division (8/8 primaries done, 8/8 alternates done)

Carolina Hurricanes - PRIMARY ALTERNATE

Columbus Blue Jackets

New Jersey Devils - PRIMARY ALTERNATE

New York Islanders - PRIMARY ALTERNATE PRIMARY/ALTERNATE REVISED

New York Rangers - PRIMARY ALTERNATE

Philadelphia Flyers - PRIMARY ALTERNATE

Pittsburgh Penguins

Washington Capitals - VINTAGE

Atlantic Division (8/8 primaries done, 8/8 alternates done)

Boston Bruins

Buffalo Sabres - PRIMARY PRIMARY REVISED/ALTERNATE

Detroit Red Wings - PRIMARY ALTERNATE

Florida Panthers - PRIMARY ALTERNATE

Montreal Canadiens

Ottawa Senators - PRIMARY PRIMARY REVISED/ALTERNATE VINTAGE

Tampa Bay Lightning - PRIMARY PRIMARY REVISED/ALTERNATE

Toronto Maple Leafs - PRIMARY ALTERNATE

Defunct Teams

Atlanta Thrashers - PRIMARY ALTERNATE

Hartford Whalers - PRIMARY ALTERNATE

Quebec Nordiques - PRIMARY ALTERNATE

World Cup of Hockey
Canada - PRELIMINARY FINAL

Czech Republic
Finland

Russia

Sweden - PRELIMINARY FINAL

United States - PRELIMINARY FINAL

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Anaheim Ducks

ywKvfQR.png

I've long been a proponent of the Ducks going back to the Mighty Ducks colors/logo full-time in some capacity. While I'd prefer that they go back to the late 90s/early 2000s look (i.e., with the shoulder patch) as their home and road, I realize that at most, it'll be an alternate. For the purposes of this project, the Ducks are still just the Anaheim Ducks, but have reverted their colors back to the eggplant and jade. There's no reason why they can't go back to the colors and keep the current name. I kept the current number font and shoulder patch because they both work well. Also, because I can't leave out a nod to the Ducks being Orange County's team, the sticks in the logo are orange.

OPE1U4b.png

The alternates are, for all intents and purposes, eggplant and jade-ified versions of their RL home and road jerseys.

• Like 11

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The main set looks really sharp and I think most people on these boards would be stoked if the real team went in that direction.  The new number font works surprisingly well with their old colour configuration and the shoulder patch gives some balance to previously bottom heavy design.  My only criticisms are the decision to make the triangle in the road logo purple (it just looks better in jade IMO) and the decision not to wrap the sleeve stripes all the way around.  That being said, this is great start to your series and I look forward to seeing more.

• Like 2

Yeah, the sleeve stripes not wrapping around is something that'll be present on all of the designs with sleeve stripes. It's something inherent in Nike's designs that I decided to maintain.

Chicago Blackhawks

o48ETHm.png

Not much here since their uniforms are damn near perfect. All I've done is added tie-down collars and a tan outline to the logo.

Kpyk1XD.png

The alternates are one of the few cases in which the two jerseys aren't simply home/road versions of the same look. The black jersey is their old black alternate, but I've made its color scheme more in line with the 2009 Winter Classic jersey/second Reebok Edge third jersey. The road alternate is a vintage white version of that Winter Classic jersey. It's also somewhat derivative of the Rockford IceHogs' alternate jersey.

• Like 9

Boston Bruins

2LNthx8.png

Nothing really out of the ordinary for the Bruins. This has elements of their 1981-1995 and Reebok Edge jerseys.

8DXrvE0.png

Their alternates are a pair of gold and brown fauxbacks. Again, very conservative design. Even when the Bruins went modern (1995-2007) it was still a conservative design. I've maintained that simplicity here.

• Like 4

Pittsburgh Penguins

ddQPx7x.png

Their home and road jerseys are their current jerseys with a few small tweaks. I made the numbers two-tone and also brought back the RoboPen as a shoulder patch. Speaking of the RoboPen...

98elNlB.png

Their alternates take the idea of the late 1990s/early 2000s RoboPen black jersey but implement it a bit more subtly. The stripe is derivative of the striping style used by the Steelers, but actually happens to line up pretty well with the horizontal stripes in the RoboPen logo.

Updated on 10/13/19: I didn't like how the striping on the alternates looked on the inside of the 8, so now the striping doesn't continue inside the 8.

• Like 3

Columbus Blue Jackets

IrZtPSu.png

The home jersey is a revival of their excellent mid-2000s alternate jersey that did well to combine navy blue and black. Both jerseys take advantage of the fact that both of Columbus' alternate logos are really good, so each jersey uses both logos, but have them on opposite shoulders.

z6jRJyf.png

The alternate jerseys are a much more traditional template and take the striping from the Ohio flag, with a coordinating road version. The cannon roundel logo takes center stage on this one, and like the primary jerseys, there are two separate shoulder patches.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

Columbus Blue Jackets

IrZtPSu.png

The home jersey is a revival of their excellent mid-2000s alternate jersey that did well to combine navy blue and black. Both jerseys take advantage of the fact that both of Columbus' alternate logos are really good, so each jersey uses both logos, but have them on opposite shoulders.

Ok9iLPN.png

The alternate jerseys are a much more traditional template and take the striping from the Ohio flag, with a coordinating road version. The cannon roundel logo takes center stage on this one, and like the primary jerseys, there are two separate shoulder patches.

Can you try to incoprorate some black on the regular white jersey?

• Like 1

I tried but I didn't really figure out a way that would work.

• Like 2

Dallas Stars

IK3oVxI.png

These are similar to what they're currently wearing, but I decided to emphasize silver more than black in the color scheme. Also, the striping patterns now match between the two jerseys. This may end up getting some slight revisions before I finish the project since I'm vacillating between thinking the numbers look fine and thinking that the trim is too thick. Also, I haven't decided whether I want to add black back to the overall color scheme or not.

4CYUpYb.png

The alternates are the team's best past jerseys modernized into my template, using the roundel logo as the primary.

• Like 2

Edmonton Oilers

RJP07ef.png

Pretty simple here: I translated their Adidas jerseys (which have really grown on me) over to my template. Don't fix what isn't broken.

wPGITC7.png

I always enjoyed the pre-Edge navy and copper jerseys (owning an early 2000s game-worn navy jersey doesn't hurt) so I decided to use that as the base for their alternates. I removed the red from the color scheme, though, since it always seemed superfluous to me and got lost against the copper stripes. I wish there was a good way to make the stripes look more metallic when in a raster image, since right now it just looks like brown.

EDIT 4/6/20: Minor error on the home collar fixed.

• Like 1

Montreal Canadiens

zZaJ729.png

Like I was going to do anything unusual for the Habs. Right...

UnkKO6B.png

Their alternates, however... the road is a modernization of the 1944-47 white jersey, which is the only jersey the Canadiens should consider for an alternate if they ever decide to adopt one permanently IRL. Since the road alternate jersey is a color swap of the home primary jersey, I decided to make the home alternate jersey a color swap of the road primary jersey. I'm still not completely sold on it, TBH.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NoE38 said:

For the Habs alt, try making it blue, and make the hem striping a red line surrounded by two white lines, and make the cuffs blue.

I considered making the home alt blue, but I figured that that’s the kind of thing that would start a riot in downtown Montreal if it ever happened for real. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Kevin W. said:

I considered making the home alt blue, but I figured that that’s the kind of thing that would start a riot in downtown Montreal if it ever happened for real. 

That's definitely true, Even though I really wanna see the Habs in a blue alt. How about switching the red and blue in my suggestion? a blue stripe surrounded by two white at the hem, and blue cuffs.

@noe38concepts (Instagram - Twitter)

spacer.png

Vancouver Canucks

1GMvOP6.png

These were done, of course, before the Sedins retired and will be revised if I decide to make any design changes after they name a new captain. The single biggest problem with their current jerseys (the wordmark) is gone, and I've added some green trim to the names and numbers. Also, the V in the sleeve stripes is back.

WcVwLNI.png

The alternates are West Coast Express fauxbacks. Not really much to talk about when describing them other than that.

• Like 5

On 8/7/2018 at 1:15 PM, Kevin W. said:

Pittsburgh Penguins

vXNnl9Y.png

Their home and road jerseys are their current jerseys with a few small tweaks. I made the numbers two-tone and also brought back the RoboPen as a shoulder patch. Speaking of the RoboPen...

3h1kbp8.png

Their alternates take the idea of the late 1990s/early 2000s RoboPen black jersey but implement it a bit more subtly. The stripe is derivative of the striping style used by the Steelers, but actually happens to line up pretty well with the horizontal stripes in the RoboPen logo.

I really like the alternates. I prefer the skating penguin logo but the pigeon logo works better here. Nice work!

• Like 1