Ranking Leagues By Color Scheme

PD13

I just went through a really cool thread started a few months back by verno, discussing everyone’s least favorite color schemes, and it gave me the idea to start a thread where a particular league, conference or division would be announced, and then everyone could rank all of the schemes individually and after a few weeks, results could be compiled to see what teams have the most widely liked color schemes (I would do this using excel and finding average rank values). To begin, I’d like to offer up the PAC12 conference. Here’s my rankings, post yours and feel free to suggest the next league to rank!

1. California 

2. Arizona State 

3. USC

4. Arizona

5. Washington 

6. UCLA

7. Colorado

8. Utah

9. Stanford

10. Oregon State

11. Oregon

12. Washington State

1. Southern California(Hey, I like to use the full name wherever possible.)

2. Oregon

3. Arizona State

4. Oregon State

5. UCLA

6. California

7. Washington

8. Arizona

9. Colorado

10. Washington State

11. Utah

12. Stanford

MIAC next?

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

17 minutes ago, flyersfan said:

i love washingtons scheme, but the gold chrome is just awful, so i went with the colors that would be listed on a site like this

So do I penalize Stanford for their egregious use of black, or no? Lol

6 hours ago, MCM0313 said:

So do I penalize Stanford for their egregious use of black, or no? Lol

I originally thought of it like flyersfan explained, but it’s really up to you. Some consideration has to be given to the way they use the colors in their identity though, otherwise it’s practically impossible to pick a favorite between teams like Stanford and Utah (not a great example but it gives the basic concept).

Okay. I'll go maybe like 75% on official school colors and 25% on how they use their schemes (including additional colors they use in the on-field product):

1. UCLA (with or without dark blue trim, and whether the secondary color is yellow or metallic gold, though I prefer the latter)

2. Washington (purple and metallic gold are good even with BFBS)

3. Arizona (I'm not a ordinarily huge navy-and-red fan but their shades are great and they use them SO WELL, plus that awesome A logo)

4. Southern Cal (classic)

5. Oregon State (simple scheme that they use tastefully)

6. Colorado (pre-2004 shade of gold was better though)

7. Arizona State (better before they started messing with it - like, 1990s ASU looked fantastic)

8. Oregon (what even ARE their colors?! Black, dark green, Kelly green, yellow, silver, and metallic grey?! Pre-Knight Oregon would have been excellent)

9. Washington State (again, another one that used to be better - wish their school colors were crimson and silver rather than crimson and grey, but they certainly looked better when they wore silver, and would look better if they wore lighter grey at least)

10. California (too Michigan-y for me)

11. Utah (boooooring - would be ahead of Cal without the BFBS)

12. Stanford (would be ahead of Cal and Utah without BFBS, and with a more classic uniform design)

I’d love to see more votes for the PAC-12 just so that the data is more reflective of larger trends, but we can certainly begin ranking the MIAC as buzzcut offered up. I’ll send mine out once I can actually get a good look at all the schools. Thanks to everyone who has contributed thus far!

1. UCLA. Powderkeg blue and gold are distinct and identifiable as UCLA and for SoCal in general.

2. Washington. Also very distinct.

3. USC. Maybe slightly more common color scheme, but they own it, and it looks great against UCLA.

4. Wash State. Grey is a great color, but is not used correctly with anthracite get-ups. I know the cougs have an anthracite combo, but for the most part they rock with grey helmets. I personally think that when it comes to grey uniforms, Air Force had a nice alternate a while back.

5. Cal. UA makes these look awesome, and though I think navy is overused, cal has a darker shade that makes the gold pop nicely.

6. Colorado. Fairly common, but safe choice.

7. Oregon State. See above.

8. AZ state. Very Arizona, would be higher if they weren't always using black, grey, or going whiteout. I can live with the sand unit.

9. Stanford. I guess it's a classic with Stanford. Overused though.

10. Arizona. Another overused scheme, without the benefit of Stanford for being a storied program. More copper though, adjust identity?

11. Utah. See above.

12. Oregon. talk about a lack of brand consistency.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry about the extended delay, but I went ahead and calculated the average ranks (in parentheses) for the Pac-12 based on the first six responses:

1. UCLA (2.833)

2. Southern California (4.33)

3. Washington (4.833)

4. Arizona State (5.33)

5. California (6.00)

6. Oregon (6.33)

7.Colorado (6.50)

8. Arizona (6.833)

9. Oregon State (7.00)

10. Washington State (8.833)

11. Stanford (9.50)

12. Utah (9.66)

Interesting to see how unanimously UCLA is loved and Utah is disliked. Schemes with red and gold/yellow were widely liked, whereas schemes with red and a white, grey or black took the bottom three positions. Feel free to add your Pac 12 rankings still, I'd be glad to run the numbers again. That said, anyone is welcome to submit rankings for the MIAC whenever. 

My MIAC Rankings 

1. Saint John's

2. Saint Catherine's

3. Univ. of Saint Thomas

4. Concordia

5. Augsburg

6. Carleton

7. Bethel

8. Saint Olaf

9. Gustavus Adolphus

10. Saint Mary's

11. Hamline

12. College of Saint Benedict

20 hours ago, PD13 said:

My MIAC Rankings 

1. Saint John's

2. Saint Catherine's

3. Univ. of Saint Thomas

4. Concordia

5. Augsburg

6. Carleton

7. Bethel

8. Saint Olaf

9. Gustavus Adolphus

10. Saint Mary's

11. Hamline

12. College of Saint Benedict

Isn't Saint John's and Saint Benedict's for all intents and purposes (thought St Thomas and Catherine too, but could be wrong about that) the same school with the same color scheme? Why #1 and then #12?

2 hours ago, tjs11 said:

Isn't Saint John's and Saint Benedict's for all intents and purposes (thought St Thomas and Catherine too, but could be wrong about that) the same school with the same color scheme? Why #1 and then #12?

Saint John's is red and columbia blue, whereas Saint Benedict's is red and black, and the other two are purple and gray and purple and gold respectively. I'm a huge fan of columbia blue, especially when paired with red, but black and red is fairly tired and hard to make unique IMO.

St. John's and St. Benedict are the same school, but each have separate athletic programs and branding schemes. St. Thomas and St. Catherine have been separate entities their whole existence, especially since St. Thomas went co-ed in 1977. Speaking of which...

1. St. Thomas

2. Macalester

3. St. Mary's

4. Concordia-Moorhead

5. Hamline

6. Bethel

7. St. John's

8. Carleton

9. St. Catherine

10. St. Benedict

11. Gustavus Adolphus

12. St. Olaf

13. Augsburg

MofnV2z.png

The CCSLC's resident Geelong Cats fan.

Viva La Vida or Death And All His Friends. Sounds like something from a Rocky & Bullwinkle story arc.

18 hours ago, PD13 said:

Saint John's is red and columbia blue, whereas Saint Benedict's is red and black, and the other two are purple and gray and purple and gold respectively. I'm a huge fan of columbia blue, especially when paired with red, but black and red is fairly tired and hard to make unique IMO.

learn something new everyday! I've never seen columbia blue in Saint John's but I see your point on the rankings if that's the case!

Speaking of Minnesota/Midwest schools...

My UMAC rankings

1. University of Northwestern-St. Paul

2. Northland College

3. University of Wisconsin Superior

4. Martin Luther College

5. Bethany Lutheran College

6. University of Minnesota-Morris

7. North Central University

8. College of St. Scholastica

9. Crown College

"And those who know Your Name put their trust in You, for You, O Lord, have not forsaken those who seek You." Psalms 9:10

Archived