MLB 2019 All Star Game

Studio Series: Tuning the 2019 MLB All-Star Logo

August 7, 2018 - 18:24 PM

The 2019 MLB All-Star Game plans to amplify the rock-and-roll history of Cleveland, starting with the event’s logo, officially unveiled today. But long before the big reveal of the guitar-laden theme came the exploration of all things rock-and-roll, intense typography […]

Read More...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Pharos04 said:

I really like that "Cleveland" script.  Could be something to incorporate in the future

I think it's based off the Cleveland script sculpture though it isn't a straight up copy.  I bet we see that font used for the BP jerseys. 

kyidbzo.jpg

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Overall, I'm not a big fan... While the baseball stitches making up the guitar is pretty clever, without a base color the logo overall looks empty to me. The main font (although good-looking) looks like they started with a template of this year's font. It also bugs me that "Cleveland" and "All-Star Game" are angled differently.

As a side note, the "American" and "National" scripts remind me a lot of those used in Detroit in 2005.

2019-MLB-All-Star-Game-League-Wordmarks-Cleveland-American-National-590x510.pngImage result for 2005 mlb home run derby

1 minute ago, MJD7 said:

Some of the designs in the background of the thumbnail look really compelling. Are these possibly some rejected proposals? Most of them even look better, I'd say:

2019-MLB-All-Star-Game-Logo-Cleveland-Indians.png

I think some of them will be used for different purposes. The bottom right All Star Game logo would fit the sleeves much better than the primary does. I think the intent of the background is to mimic rock band flyers.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Rock'n'roll and baseball are really peas in a pod as rapidly dying forces of American pop culture. So the synergy works. Otherwise I'd agree that the lack of a base and the weird shape are pretty poor, and the shape is corny on top of all that. I like the league scripts though.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

It'd look better if they'd use proper case for All Star Game rather than all caps.  Just doesn't seem "friendly" for what's supposed to be a fun exhibition.

I'm not sure how I feel about a logo that doesn't have a firm base color.  I get that a good logo doesn't have to, I just think it can limit the applications if it doesn't.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

10 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

If and when Cleveland re-brands, I'd love some sort of music/rock 'n roll-themed identity. 

Cleveland Rockers.

Sure, it's a defunct WNBA team, but it's a defunct Cleveland WNBA team.

Cleveland sports for life!
"Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind." -The Doctor

Archived