Forgotten classic uniforms

Ark

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 8/9/2018 at 10:58 AM, SFGiants58 said:

I do kind of like them (especially when paired with sock stripes), but the overall look is fairly bland. Navy/red, basic scripts, a “C” insignia that looks more like an “e,” and no striping leaves it lacking. It’s like the Tampa Bay Lightning in a way, decent-looking but lacking originality.

I will say that I’d love it if that “White Sox” script appeared on an alternate jersey or a dugout jacket (like the Yankees’ script).

If you want a “forgotten classic” White Sox uniform, I have two:

4ca2c456c7178.image.jpg

71topps_super-23.jpg

I don't quite know if the '59 set is a "forgotten" classic. It's certainly retains a lot of popularity among Sox fans and served as the direct inspiration for the current set, even though its probably been subsumed by the insufferable 1983 beach blanket set. 

If there's a forgotten classic its the 1972 look. Everyone I've talked to seems to love it and its place isn't controversial like the 1977 look. 

5087d57354cc34f94af914d448272a8a--chicagDA15_72_CT248.jpg

al_1993_milwaukee.gif

This 1990 Brewers 'ball-in-glove' uniform set, worn until 1993, were worthy successors to their pullover jersey/beltless pants combo set it replaced.

nl_1993_cincinnati.gif

The same can be said of this Cincinnati Reds uniform set, worn from 1993-98, and also replaced the pullover jersey/beltless pants combo (in fact, the Reds were the last team to wear that type of uniform in MLB), the odd number placement on the road jersey notwithstanding.

UBwef0L.png

1 hour ago, Lights Out said:

The Hornets will probably never throw back to the Bobcats era, but I wish they would just so we could see this forgotten classic again:

KJYWkgQ.jpg

Loved that bright, obnoxious shade of orange. Didn't they mute it somewhat after a year?

1 hour ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

If there's a forgotten classic its the 1972 look. Everyone I've talked to seems to love it and its place isn't controversial like the 1977 look. 

5087d57354cc34f94af914d448272a8a--chicagDA15_72_CT248.jpg

Yeah, I really like those uniforms. The team really should have kept them on as permanent throwbacks after having them as full-time alts in 2012.

ws-13-whiteredpin-2-620x972.jpg

I like that it’s closer to their “primary” branding.

9 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

Yeah, I really like those uniforms. The team really should have kept them on as permanent throwbacks after having them as full-time alts in 2012.

They looked great on the field and as I said, any Sox fan I talk to immediately agrees that these look great if you bring it up but they almost never volunteer them. Older fans will generally recall either the 59 or 83 sets and younger fans will tout the 87-90 set. 

12 minutes ago, SFGiants58 said:

They're so nice that Chris Sale didn't shred them with a pair of scissors.

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

1 hour ago, SFGiants58 said:

"Whoa is that the Red Sox?!" ?

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 8/9/2018 at 11:58 AM, SFGiants58 said:

I do kind of like them (especially when paired with sock stripes), but the overall look is fairly bland. Navy/red, basic scripts, a “C” insignia that looks more like an “e,” and no striping leaves it lacking. It’s like the Tampa Bay Lightning in a way, decent-looking but lacking originality.

I will say that I’d love it if that “White Sox” script appeared on an alternate jersey or a dugout jacket (like the Yankees’ script).

If you want a “forgotten classic” White Sox uniform, I have two:

4ca2c456c7178.image.jpg

71topps_super-23.jpg

As for the Patriots, I must argue that the 1993 Flying Elvis uniform was top-notch, if only for the pants stripe that tied into the logo:

andre_tippett_1993_09_12.jpg

Fix the TV numbers and add a red facemask (to go with the numbers), and you’d have a killer look.

The red numbers are the only thing wrong with this picture..

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

I feel like a lot of people forget these gems:

82c337653ce2d3cd4b91463f7edcc67b.jpg

even when they were used as 2007 throwbacks:

bd7046404335ca688e73fc2252e85bc9.jpg

If washington was ever forced to changing their uniforms current look, they have a couple of solid options to go back on.

There's no universe in which the radio shack logo is a "gem".  Their colors are great, but IMO work best when the emphasis is on the burgundy.  Throw a "W" - or better yet, a "DC" in the circle and we can start having a discussion, but "R" doesn't work for me.  The jerseys / pants are fine, but not a "forgotten classic".

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

46 minutes ago, BringBackTheVet said:

There's no universe in which the radio shack logo is a "gem".  Their colors are great, but IMO work best when the emphasis is on the burgundy.  Throw a "W" - or better yet, a "DC" in the circle and we can start having a discussion, but "R" doesn't work for me.  The jerseys / pants are fine, but not a "forgotten classic".

A "W" or "DC" would seem way too predictable to me. The "R" logo is one of my favorite all time logos so maybe it's clouding my judgement.

11 minutes ago, DNAsports said:

A "W" or "DC" would seem way too predictable to me. The "R" logo is one of my favorite all time logos so maybe it's clouding my judgement.

A DC would be the least predictable thing.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, DNAsports said:

I feel like a lot of people forget these gems:

82c337653ce2d3cd4b91463f7edcc67b.jpg

even when they were used as 2007 throwbacks:

bd7046404335ca688e73fc2252e85bc9.jpg

I don't understand why the Lombardi designed helmets didn't use a "W" instead of "R," following the example of the Packers helmet.

This one isn't really forgotten, it's more irrationally hated by Penguins fans. The team itself seems to have no interest in these uniforms so they'll probably be lost to history

mario-updated.jpg

But there's no reason why this hasn't been used since the 90s

GettyImages-504914679-960x540.jpg

Archived