Forgotten classic uniforms

Ark

4 hours ago, insert name said:

The day Washington finally rebrands, I'm so down for these making a comeback. This was a great one-year uniform.

lavar-arrington-of-the-washington-redski

Washington Spears.

Boom. Done. 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Ark said:

This one isn't really forgotten, it's more irrationally hated by Penguins fans. The team itself seems to have no interest in these uniforms so they'll probably be lost to history

mario-updated.jpg

But there's no reason why this hasn't been used since since the 90s

GettyImages-504914679-960x540.jpg

It is not irrational. It is soulless garbage.

6 hours ago, FightingGoldenDevil said:

tupaeW9.jpg51gVOim.jpgPeople always forget this set because the Twins had their worst year in them. Personally I think the Twins should do a rebrand based on this set

Only if the rebrand involves light blue road uniforms and a red hat.

3 hours ago, Ark said:

Yes, the hate is soulless garbage. 

Seriously, it's the best Penguins logo and IMO their best uniform set. 

The logo is uninspired, and too corporate. We are talking about a small, slow (walking), flightless bird. The cartoon skating penguin fits the team perfectly. 

The shoulder stripes on the white (then home) don't look good, and we already have a diagonal drop shadow font team in this league that is tied to that design. We don't need another. 

Their current set is perfect.

Uninspired and "too corporate", what does that even mean? That's what I'm talking about when I say it is irrationally hated, along with calling it a pigeon even though it looks like an actual penguin.

And you're worried about taking another team's established look?

tumblr_oln8vdFjz81vhnua2o10_1280.jpg

Yeah. Anyway, the PITTSBURGH jersey is sort of a throwback to the Penguins original uniforms. It should be their alternate now, even if it has the skating penguin logo on the shoulders. And the triangle penguin should be their secondary logo like it was at the beginning of the vegas gold era.

175.gif

But I know that will never happen.

I just hope they use the 90s uniforms as throwbacks when they retire Jagr's number. Otherwise I don't think it will ever be used by this ownership group. 

1 hour ago, Shumway said:

The Pirates have so many good (or so bad, it's good) throwbacks that I think these seem to get overlooked.

pittsburgh-pirates-outfielder-barry-bond

That road set is perfect for the Buccos!!!

On 8/10/2018 at 10:15 PM, insert name said:

The day Washington finally rebrands, I'm so down for these making a comeback. This was a great one-year uniform.

lavar-arrington-of-the-washington-redski

We have a winner!!!! This uniform is beautiful!!!!

36 minutes ago, verno said:

That road set is perfect for the Buccos!!!

1 hour ago, Shumway said:

The Pirates have so many good (or so bad, it's good) throwbacks that I think these seem to get overlooked.

pittsburgh-pirates-outfielder-barry-bond

I prefer the ones with pinstripes, but that one is fantastic

5qWs8RS.png

Formerly known as DiePerske

I prefer the current Penguins logo but the RoboPenguin era jerseys were better. They have a simplified, consistent striping pattern.

What they're wearing today might match the Lemieux era but it's to a fault. No team in 2018 would choose to look like that, with the mismatched sleeves and that ugly yellow hem stripe on the white jersey.

On 8/11/2018 at 6:23 AM, Old School Fool said:

I never see anyone talk about the Atlanta Hawks uniforms that were used from 1992 through 1995. I like the look.

kevin%20willis.jpg

f2b1d7ccc33939b9c3e156498fb6f449.jpg

Atlanta-Hawks-1992-1995-Alternate-Jersey

This look was somewhat resurrected in 1999 complete with the same number font.

feb-2000-jim-jackson-of-the-atlanta-hawk

Well, the Hawks even had practically (different outlines) on the jerseys sandwiched in between those two ...

f38ee983806120e5b82d656278f86db9.jpg

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

I don't know if I understand the point of this thread, but these are the best the California Angels ever looked, and they only had these uniforms for four seasons:

1995-0705-Rod-Carew-Angels-players-00129

I just read that the Disney set that followed was also only for four seasons, though it felt like much longer. Maybe because it was so bad.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

I’d put the CA uniforms in this category. I always consider the angels two ways - the Wally Joyner / Naked Gun era, and current, completely overlooking the... Jim Abbot (?) era, which while not as good as the current, is a classic look that could have lasted an eternity. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Archived